3v3 Ladder / Matchmaking ideas

• I’m going to post ideas in a fashion where I am just thinking out loud.

Does this belong in the Ideas and Suggestions board, instead?

In its present state, you would require using a ladder / league system without matchmaking of course.
    But these ideas could easily be implemented in a matchmaking system.

–You have a team of 3 people
    –You have a team name
    –All classes are allowed (bear with me)
    –You cannot have 2 of the same of any class on the field.
    –Game mode is LTS
    –Maps are limited to Arena only, in order to avoid map abuse. SDK will most likely alleviate these problems.
    –Wins are decided in one map, first to 7

Before the match begins

Scenario A – Without matchmaking.

1. Each team captain is in a BLIND BAN mode. Captains pick up to THREE weapons they wish to ban without revealing to the other team. Once weapons are chosen, both teams present their picks at the same time. If both captains ban the same weapon, then the weapon ban is overlapped and neither captain gets to re-pick. The overlapped ban counts and the weapon is banned. Weapon bans include tertiary items, such as projectiles and shields. Banning a buckler does not automatically ban javelins or flails.

2. Players may choose to change class between rounds, as long as there are no more than one of each class on the field at any given time.

3. Points are evaluated at the end of a match. PSR is attributed. 7-0’ing someone is worth more points than 7-6’ing someone, depending on how close each team’s PSR ratings are to each other. Screenshots for proof, and must be submitted within a reasonable time-frame.

Scenario B – With matchmaking.

1. Solo matchmaking would have a separate PSR system. The player with the highest PSR would be assigned as captain. Team matchmaking would assign the captain to whoever is the leader of the group (whoever invites people to queue up).

2. Each team captain is in a BLIND BAN mode. Captains pick up to THREE weapons they wish to ban without revealing to the other team. Once weapons are chosen, both teams present their picks at the same time. If both captains ban the same weapon, then the weapon ban is overlapped and neither captain gets to re-pick. The overlapped ban counts and the weapon is banned. Weapon bans include tertiary items, such as projectiles and shields. Banning a buckler does not automatically ban javelins or flails.

3. Assuming there are a handful of maps catered toward a competitive LTS mode, captains also up-vote and down-vote up to TWO maps. Random maps are chosen based in priority of up-voted maps. 15 rounds span across 3 maps, or until one team receives a first to 8 wins victory.

4. Players may choose to change class between rounds, as long as there are no more than one of each class on the field at any given time. If a player desires to choose a class that is already in play, the person playing that class will receive a pop-up message that asks to swap classes with the player who is requesting a swap.

5. Points are evaluated at the end of a match. PSR is attributed. 8-0’ing someone is worth more points than 8-7’ing someone, depending on how close each team’s PSR ratings are to each other. PSR is attributed automatically via matchmaking system.

6. Teams are matched with other teams as close as possible with equal PSR ratings (win% is also accounted for to show “true” rating).

More to come. Any thoughts / suggestions?

• I agree with everything but the 50% rule on classes. You should be allowed to play up to 2 of the same class.

However, i really only think this would work if torn banner would implement a useful matchmaking system. Scenario A would not really work for most of the community as it requires much more work. Maybe someone could make a UI to help them speed up the process.

I asked under the sub forums (ask TB) but i have yet to hear anything on matchmaking from TB.

• I think a 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, and 4vs4 team automatch system could be quite fun :) 4vs4s are actually my favorite size right now.

• @ŠïN:

I agree with everything but the 50% rule on classes. You should be allowed to play up to 2 of the same class.

However, i really only think this would work if torn banner would implement a useful matchmaking system. Scenario A would not really work for most of the community as it requires much more work. Maybe someone could make a UI to help them speed up the process.

I asked under the sub forums (ask TB) but i have yet to hear anything on matchmaking from TB.

I just thought of another idea for this :::

Maximum of 2 for a type of class could be played at once.

BLIND BAN for each captain.

Each captain may choose 1 class to ban, subtracting 1 from the maximum count.

Would this be a good idea for BLIND ban? or Flip a coin to see who bans first. Whoever bans class first, would get second pick for weapon bans.

• TB should just copy the matchmaking-system of LoL and everything would be fine.
    Besides that people are already playing pug which is also quite fun.