[MECH] Ducking Examples, Tutorial

• Hey Guys,
    I wanted to share this ducking tutorial with you guys, as well as a few good examples on why its can be good… and bad

Enjoy!

Tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv7u3b_mJgE

Examples
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ExlVRFLwI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5HhN6QOac

• I have to credit you for putting duels which you lose in the video. Too many “pros” believe it will make them look less badass and cut them.

Other than that, I saw some good advice, neat job.

• Ducking is cool to do but overall I’d say it’s too much risk for too little reward.

• @Pilgore:

Ducking is cool to do but overall I’d say it’s too much risk for too little reward.

Wrong.

If you think this, you aren’t using it properly. It’s a great trick to use if you have no other defence available to you (i.e. you’ve been feinted or you are in recovery) - I mean, you might as well.

In addition, as the OP pointed out, it’s good to use if the opponent is predictable.

With longer windups and faster release, as will be the case in the next patch, ducking will be more powerful.

• @Pilgore:

Ducking is cool to do but overall I’d say it’s too much risk for too little reward.

Quite the contrary, high risk, high reward.

High reward in the sense that they won’t even have enough time to feint to parry. Basically, a successful duck is almost always a successful hit.

• High risk low gain? We’re not talking about marriage!

But Yes, I feel its the “Evil Akuma” of Chivalry. My videos generally show it being used with a dagger, when in reality, can be used with anything else. In the process of a “How to counter” vid, but thatnk you all for your comments!

I enjoy the challenge :D

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Pilgore:

Quite the contrary, high risk, high reward.

High reward in the sense that they won’t even have enough time to feint to parry. Basically, a successful duck is almost always a successful hit.

It’s useful against less experienced players that that just don’t realize what dafuq just happened before you can followup a duck with an attack. But most higher ranked more experienced players it does little to hinder them. Sure you can get a hit in after a successful duck, more times then not it’s better to rely on safer techniques that don’t leave you defenseless to an overhead. Way too risky overall imo. But it’s cool when it works, but that’s just about it.

• @Pilgore:

It’s useful against less experienced players that that just don’t realize what dafuq just happened before you can followup a duck with an attack. But most higher ranked more experienced players it does little to hinder them. Sure you can get a hit in after a successful duck, more times then not it’s better to rely on safer techniques that don’t leave you defenseless to an overhead. Way too risky overall imo. But it’s cool when it works, but that’s just about it.

It’s another option to use when the time arises. Those who are skilled can react properly to a rare situation and think “DUCK!” will be able to benefit from it consistently, if they can consistently pinpoint the suitable moment.

• Indeed, but those moments are not that frequent.

• Ducking is great as a once off versing someone.

I usually only get tricked by a duck once. After that, I’ve noted the name of the person and will be hyper alert for it in future, each time they duck I will hit them.

As it has grown in popularity I’m more alert for it, as such it has to be a pretty sweet duck for me to miss, and I always congrats the person on the duck. It is ballsy.

The main time I really attempt it is when I’m on lower ground to my opponent, ducking on lower ground is almost always successful.

• @sangiu:

I have to credit you for putting duels which you lose in the video. Too many “pros” believe it will make them look less badass and cut them.

most that record duels have a LOT of footage, it doesn’t make sense to keep everything in… and if you want to record good successful duels, you cut out the losing ones. However, i think most like to keep at least a few good battles in there even if they lose. It’s more of a time constraint than a pride thing i think.

• Putting in losses is good to show examples of when NOT to do a particular maneuver. It strengthens the reason of why/why not to use it. Only putting the successes teaches only half the story.

This is partly why people learning may never ‘get’ the trick, because they keep trying it at the wrong times which can easily be taught by showing When not to do it (ie, when you lose).

• I can say with great confidence that ducking is most definitely worth learning, if not mastering. At first you will get killed more often than not from attempting it, but with time you’ll learn to be able to discern whether a duck is appropriate or not in the situation. You will always make mistakes from time to time, as ducking is an art- not a science. However you will become a much more versatile fighter by adding ducks to your arsenal despite the chance of ducking at the wrong time.

This highlight video shows how ducking used in combination with parries and proper positioning can keep you alive for quite a long time. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to watch the video.

[youtubehd:siq9jk0u]RKWDu0_NL6g[/youtubehd:siq9jk0u]

• I guess it’s a lot more useful in third person.

• Jinkai’s video, ironically, is actually a video showcasing how you should NOT use ducking as random guesswork. Jinkai often ducks hoping for the best and sometimes he gets lucky and the attacks miss him (if you watch closely, you see that he often ducks overheads and stabs) - this is NOT how you should duck.

You should duck only as the OP said. The OP did in fact get it spot on. You duck ONLY when you can be fairly certain that the opponent will use LMB, i.e. if you have already ascertained that they like to use LMB a lot in their style. Or if the opponent has used one LMB - which hit you - and is winding up a combo.

Or, you can duck if they are using a slowish weapon and you have time to actually see that they are winding up a LMB swing.

If you duck under pretty much any other circumstances, you are prostrating yourself at the feet of lady luck.

• Bollocks. Ducking an overhead is highly useful too. Generally an overhead goes from defenders diagonal left to right. Most higher level players will be aiming to slash your head with the overhead. Hence if you duck, right at the last moment, the swing will pass over your head and land to your right, only just. I’ve used it to my happiness a fair bit, usually from being tricked by a feint. A last ditch effort to evade the hit.

Ducking an overhead, particularly from swords, is most certainly an option if you have nothing better on offer. Take a slight step to your left whilst you duck for added effect.

Also, again, when you are on the lower part of an incline, you can even duck stabs to a fairly good degree. Do it only once during a fight though…