Player on Player Executions

• I had an idea which would fit chivalry well, just needs some nice animations and a bit of coding to pull off. Either player-to-player, maybe the enemy fell on his knees when he hit 0 health every once in a while, or if a specific set of variables have been met, and the victorious player got to choose an execution to perform, based on weapon or attack chosen: Stab, slash, overhead. Each one could do a different move, like an overhead that splits the head and torso in half like a wedge, a kick to the ground and stab in the chest, or a big, powerful side swing that decapitates. You could also have peasant executions as an objective like in AoC. Maces, axes, and swords could all have 3 different executions movesets, and even some different ones for one-handed weps, + different ones for polearms. Figured this could be a cool feature, even modern games like Halo and Battlefield have stealth executions, but Chivalry could have it’s own that aren’t about sneaking up on an enemy, but putting the final touch into slaughtering some poor fool who thought he could beat you. The best part is that there could even be a special executioner’s helmet or skin to customize your character with. It could be obtained by performing 100 or 250 executions.

The more kills you have, the more likely each kill is to give you an execution.

You can either kill the guy, kick him, shoot him with an arrow, stand in laugh in his face or just ignore him, but if you wanted the option of finishing him off, taking his honor, you could.
    Also, some/all of these executions could take advantage of the intestines model already in the game, or the extra blood that was added in CU1. It would be a good way to add more gore, which is something a lot of people seem to want, me included. 8-)

• I don’t like set animations which have you stuck doing something.

You ca already do it anyway in chivalry. Stab someone and hey fall on their knees and you can take their head off while their down. I like chivalrys current way of doing it.

• I’m not saying that the current system has to go, just that it can be modified, added to or kept alongside another mechanic that allows you to kill your enemy more theatrically. TB wants this game to feel like a medieval hollywood movie, so how about some nice gory, in your face killings.

• Only if these animations are short, and only if you choose to do them. So that you don’t accidentally get stuck in some five-second execution animation while enemies are still around and have you cut down. But I do think execution animations would be cool. The most important aspects for immersion in a game is animation and sound. Graphics really just come in third place (and I’m leaving out stuff like compelling story writing.)

But I would be happy if the people you killed played animations. Like you stab someone in the guts or shoot someone in the throat with an arrow, he would fall to his knees. He already does this, of course, but then instantly ragdolls. What if he fell down to his knees, and he sat there, holding his wound, making noises, until he finally slumps over and dies/ragdolls. Before he does this, you can approach him and stab him again or cut his head off or something. You won’t get any extra points or steal someone elses points, the guy was pretty much dead already. If you kill him in a not-so-brutal way (like if you maul his head and it explodes and his body flies away), like if you stab him in the heart, then he’ll do another death animation although very short and he then instantly fall ragdoll. Just to have him react to getting executed. Think the zombies in Left 4 Dead. When you shoot them and they die, they can stumble forward or fall to their knees. During this time you can still shoot them and they’ll twitch with every shot while they are still doing the “falling down to the ground to die”-animation.

It would also be cool if a “killed” person would lie on the ground, clutching his wound and rolling around a little. Like if you cut his leg off, he instantly falls to the ground, screaming in agony and holding his bleeding stump until he dies five seconds later. During this time you can walk up to him and “execute” him. Or if he’s slowly crawling on the ground, caughing blood… imagine slowly walking up to him from behind, he turns around, puts up his hand towards you, utters “m-mercy…” and you do a two-handed overhead swing with an axe.

• @SavageBeatings:

Only if these animations are short, and only if you choose to do them. So that you don’t accidentally get stuck in some five-second execution animation while enemies are still around and have you cut down. But I do think execution animations would be cool. The most important aspects for immersion in a game is animation and sound. Graphics really just come in third place (and I’m leaving out stuff like compelling story writing.)

But I would be happy if the people you killed played animations. Like you stab someone in the guts or shoot someone in the throat with an arrow, he would fall to his knees. He already does this, of course, but then instantly ragdolls. What if he fell down to his knees, and he sat there, holding his wound, making noises, until he finally slumps over and dies/ragdolls. Before he does this, you can approach him and stab him again or cut his head off or something. You won’t get any extra points or steal someone elses points, the guy was pretty much dead already. If you kill him in a not-so-brutal way (like if you maul his head and it explodes and his body flies away), like if you stab him in the heart, then he’ll do another death animation although very short and he then instantly fall ragdoll. Just to have him react to getting executed. Think the zombies in Left 4 Dead. When you shoot them and they die, they can stumble forward or fall to their knees. During this time you can still shoot them and they’ll twitch with every shot while they are still doing the “falling down to the ground to die”-animation.

It would also be cool if a “killed” person would lie on the ground, clutching his wound and rolling around a little. Like if you cut his leg off, he instantly falls to the ground, screaming in agony and holding his bleeding stump until he dies five seconds later. During this time you can walk up to him and “execute” him. Or if he’s slowly crawling on the ground, caughing blood… imagine slowly walking up to him from behind, he turns around, puts up his hand towards you, utters “m-mercy…” and you do a two-handed overhead swing with an axe.

Really good ideas! I especially like the wounded animation ideas about them laying on the floor and bleeding out and I agree that executions should be “player driven” and not 5 second animations like the assassinations in Halo. One thing that I would like to see is when you kill an enemy by slashing their torso, intestines and blood spew from their body! I can just imagine maps littered with the mangled, decapitated, disemboweled bodies of fallen warriors. MWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

• another war of the roses player no doubt

THIS…IS…CHIVALRY!!! HUAAAAH

• I don’t like it :( I love that the game has no drawn out animations or cut scenes! I mean, if this was implemented in a duels exclusively, then fine no problem at all! It just sounds like War of the Roses, which is such a BIZZARE game.

• @clayton-bigsby:

another war of the roses player no doubt

Never played War of the Roses. Is it good?

• @SavageBeatings:

@clayton-bigsby:

The execution part really is the only good part.

Its pretty much skyrim combat. Skyrim weapon balance too.

• @lemonater47:

@SavageBeatings:

@clayton-bigsby:

The execution part really is the only good part.

Its pretty much skyrim combat. Skyrim weapon balance too.

Haven’t played much of Skyrim either, I’m not into high fantasy :P

But as I said in my post, executing other players would only be like… stabbing him again like usual while his dead body plays an extended animation that mimicks suffering. It’s not like you’d get locked to the guy or something. He’ll sit there and cough blood, or crawl on the ground whimpering, or roll around holding a bleeding stump and screaming. And you walk up to him and stab him again, have him play another, but short, death animation and then he turns ragdoll. The kill and points for that has already been registered for when you “first killed him”.

I kind of already do execute people this way. If I chop someone’s arm off and they stand there all surprised and shit, I’ll walk up and do a horizontal slash, taking his head off. A gruesome mercy kill. Or I stab them down, and then I stab the ragdollized body on the ground a bit more, just to make sure. I imagine that they are still moving or making noises, that’s why. But I’d love if they actually did that.

• To sum it up, all I’d like to see is an expansion on the current system already in place. If you chop a guy’s arm off, he’ll stand there clutching the stump before falling down. If you’re fast enough, you can cut off his leg, then his head before he falls over. Maybe some longer death animations with some more opportunity for finishers, as opposed to a whole new mechanic being put in place.

• @Oy:

To sum it up, all I’d like to see is an expansion on the current system already in place. If you chop a guy’s arm off, he’ll stand there clutching the stump before falling down. If you’re fast enough, you can cut off his leg, then his head before he falls over. Maybe some longer death animations with some more opportunity for finishers, as opposed to a whole new mechanic being put in place.

You can already do this. I mean, stabbing a guy in the guts, he initiates a death animation, then chop off his arm and he initates the “oh no, my arm”-animation and then finally chop off his head. I’ve see that many times, dying people switching between death animations if they lose another limb.

But yeah, my idea is basically this though. “Longer animations with some more opportunity for finishers.” My idea with this is that these longer animations are new ones, like rolling on the ground clutching a gut wound or a bleeding stump while screaming, crawling on the ground at a slow pace, sitting on his knees on the ground, breathing heavily with fluids in lungs, maybe even support himself against his weapon. These longer animations could be really long, too. It would be pretty awesome seeing bodies moving on the ground, even if slightly, until they disappear (unless you have a better computer than me and can keep bodies forever). Like a true and gruesome battlefield. Bodies already move a little (finger twitching, eyes rolling), which is awesome when I first found that out.

• A decent suggestion with some potential for increased atmosphere. Just stay away from any pre-canned animations, the direect control you have over everything your character does is one of the greatest stand-out features of Chivalry. So no one-button presses where your character stabs, cuts and beheads somebody while you simply watch. In my eyes, the more control the player has, the better.

If you like to expand on the existing system, basically by adding or enlarging the death animations on the person killed, that could very well be valid. Just dont overdo it please, sometimes I want to ragdoll somebody down a cliff with a killing blow and not have him dramatically fall to his knees in front of me.