The LMB spam

• I just recently joined this community and so far i love this game so i thought id attempt to address some things ive noticed in an attempt to make it better.

The lmb spamming vanguards that insist on going in swinging as fast as possible with no consideration for their teammates at all. Just trying to get as many kills before someone does this back to them.
    Its annoying when your actually trying to fight legitimately only to have one of your teammates rush in and kill you (and the guy you were dueling).

The problem is that theres no real punishment for killing your teammates and fighting in this manner.
    yes people will rage at you (you might even be kicked from the server). If thats the case go to a new one and continue.

There should be more harsh punishments for tking your teammates. Or make lmb combo-ing require far more stamina.

• The punishment for killing people on your team is that you won’t win if it happens.

Also, stop getting milked by your own teammates.

• i avoid teammates as if they were enemy, that and i let them go through first as a softening run

• Well there are two major flaws with LMB.

1. It’s mapped to LMB.

• If overhead or stab were mapped to LMB this problem would be almost nonexistent, as instead of all the newbies spamming nothing but horizontals they’d actually bother to learn the different attacks that were taught in the tutorial, instead of disregarding the tutorial entirely as soon as they realise how easy it is to do well with W+LMB, the simplest keys to press.
      If we want Chivalry to at least look somewhat like a real medieval battlefield then Overheads should be the attack all players default to, not Horizontals. Which brings me on to point 2…

2. LMB on most weapons is both overpowered and unrealistic, and not only when spammed.

• On many weapons the damage loss from LMB compared to overhead is negligible, and on some it’s non-existent.

• On almost every weapon the Horizontal is faster, especially in windup, than the Overhead.
      I should point out that not only is this a poor balance choice, but it’s also unrealistic.
      Overhead swings IRL are easier and faster to throw out than Horizontals, not to mention the standard 1-handed LMB is flat out silly. Just try swinging Horizontally from right to left like they do in-game.
      It’s awkward and feels bad on your arm. The easiest way to swing from your right is going top-right to bottom-left, which is closer to the Alt-Overhead than the Horizontal.

• On top of being overpowered on damage and speed, it’s also the safest and most cleaving swing, due to its wide arc that is not prone to being side-stepped, doesn’t require aiming and is the easiest to accelerate/decelerate.
      Being the safest and most cleaving attack would be fine on its own, since that’s the point of horizontals, but when you add on negligible or no damage loss and faster attack speeds then you get to the point we’re at now that with a depressingly large number of weapons there’s virtually no reason to Overhead other than pride, i.e. “I don’t want to look like an LMB-spammer”.

• lol dibbz the OP is kind of complaining more about TK’s caused by slash spamming… you’re kind of just getting on LMB slash being overpowered as an attack. It’s like… the easiest thing to avoid and parry. I agree it sucks being teamkilled but come on… if you can’t overcome a little LMB spam? well shucks brother

• I can’t help myself D:

Although my harping is very much related…. too powerful LMBs is the major reason people spam it and continue to spam it for a long time instead of bothering to learn other tactics, thus the major reason for TKs.

I’m not talking about myself or all players in general falling for LMB spam, I’m talking about all new players being unable to counter it without LMB spamming in return and thus causing so many TKs.
    Thus the problem at hand exists due to the two reasons I listed.

• @Dibbz:

Well there are two major flaws with LMB.

1. It’s mapped to LMB.

This.

It was not till I began playing with weapon tracers enabled that I realized the effective zone of a slash. By performing a simple slash and following through with a turn you can do damage in a 360, damaging much more than your intended target without even realizing it.

• I agree with Dibbz, the horizontal swing is problematic in game when bound to LMB and awkward and unrealistic in real life.

A better cut would be a diagonal cut from the above the right shoulder to the lower left (for WMA geeks out there this would be a cut starting in Vom Tag and cutting across the body such as a Zornhau or an Right Oberhau ending in Alber). In the image below you can see the path of the cut labelled as “Oberhau R”.

This would be more realistic and less likely to cause TKs. If the horizontal swing was harder to do it would far less of a problem.

• Lotsa good points here, all I want to add is that LMB spam also works well against lag, so people with bad connection/computers will always want to use them.

• This is even more annoying as a squishy archer, if I’m in meleecombat with another person I don’t want a teammate vanguard rush in with his zwei and chopping my head off, i’m fine if he stabs though, the overhead deals to much damage even against people on the same team, especially archers, so either they should use it carefully or not at all while close to me. Then again a TK can be a mistake as well, you maynot see your teammate if you’re the one who fights a person first and you then begin to swing and a teammate rushes into your swing.

• This would be more realistic and less likely to cause TKs. If the horizontal swing was harder to do it would far less of a problem.

This would cause another problem - with side swings you need to guard your sides, what you’re showing (although good as an idea) could make all attacks go from the top. Wouldn’t they be much easier to block as a result?

• Overheads go around blocks just as well as horizontals do, especially if you angle yourself correctly.

A more realistic “horizontal” swing-path wouldn’t necessarily make them easier to block.

• @SCORN:

The lmb spamming vanguards that insist on going in swinging as fast as possible with no consideration for their teammates at all. Just trying to get as many kills before someone does this back to them

Geez, I said “Sorry” :D
    One of the things you’ll learn very quickly is to respect the space around your teammates with long weapons.

• Geez, I said “Sorry” :D
    One of the things you’ll learn very quickly is to respect the space around your teammates with long weapons.

I die more often to friendlies than enemies, because they don’t care about killing their teammate(s) if so doing nets them kill. I can do fine against foes only to be cut down by people swinging their weapons mindlessly. It’s not me who’s making the problem. It’s them. If I kill somebody it’s because they ran under my attack while I was fighting somebody or I kill them to teach them not to swing mindlessly, killing teammates. Some teamkills are normal, but most of them is a result of lack of consideration. It isn’t me who should “learn very quickly to respect the sapce around teammates with long weapons”. It’s hey who should start thinking before committing an attack.

Overheads go around blocks just as well as horizontals do, especially if you angle yourself correctly.

A more realistic “horizontal” swing-path wouldn’t necessarily make them easier to block.

They do so for two reasons: they are either speeded up or enemy does not know from where it will come. With most of attacks being overheadish (save for stab) there will be only two ways of attack, making it somewhat easier to block.

• @Holy.Death:

I die more often to friendlies than enemies, because they don’t care about killing their teammate(s) if so doing nets them kill.

Funny. I die more often from NOT attacking the enemy I was battling when a teammate runs into my weapon’s path and I avoid killing them, opening myself up to the enemy’s attack.
    You’ll forgive me if I don’t feint out of an attack I started before you try to steal my kill.

• Funny. I die more often from NOT attacking the enemy I was battling when a teammate runs into my weapon’s path and I avoid killing them, opening myself up to the enemy’s attack.

Yeah, that happens a lot too. I don’t mind when you kill somebody who’s running under your attack. Still, the longer your weapon is the more control you have over your attacks. I tend to be more forgiving to people who use spear and stab through enemy killing me in the process than I am to people with big swords.

I just played a bit as a vanguard and per 35 kills I killed maybe 4 teammates and you can’t avoid TKs completely, but that’s different from hitting/killing teammates on a regular basis. I was using overheads and stabs mostly. The whole argument about “respecting the space around teammates with long weapons” is simply invalid.

• I find as a high level player I use LMB (horiz swing) the least of all my primary attacks. At a guess I use 40% stab, 35% overhead and 20% horiz swing and 5% kick/jump kick/shield bash.

Horiz attack is the easiest to defend against, easy to block, easy to parry. It is extremely readable.

Team mates can be a bigger problem then enemy, really. I find it significantly easier to survive in a 20 population FFA server than a 20 pop TDM server. So having 19 enemies all around you is safer then having 9 team mates near you….

As such I avoid my team mates like the plague. Unless I know they are high tier players that will pull their shots and aim correctly. In which case it is great, great fun knowing that someone is watching your back, and you theirs.

• Consecutive slashing attacks need to cost exponentially more stamina with each swing. Then they’ll be sat there like the brainless flailing idiot they are and die as they should.

As for general friendly fire: I avoid my team as much as the enemy. I’ve been killed so many times because some window-licking vanguard decided to come running in swinging madly and get us both murdered.

Archers are no better. The kids love to pretend to be Legolas, and they’ll take every opportunity they can to show you their amazing ability to waste space in your team roster and sit 5 miles behind the frontlines, occasionally firing an arrow into the melee fight that you’re in and either making you flinch or killing you outright.

• @Toll:

Team mates can be a bigger problem then enemy, really. I find it significantly easier to survive in a 20 population FFA server than a 20 pop TDM server. So having 19 enemies all around you is safer then having 9 team mates near you….

Well, you could also say that having 10 enemies that work together to kill you is more dangerous than having 19 enemies who also fight each other.

That is still sad as your 9 mates will more often than not do a poor job helping you to stay alive, unless its someone like me who is stupid enough to try and block enemy attacks aimed at you so you can attack freely…

Even though there is also a bug/lag issue when you block a strike, for example coming from your left, but your mate who stands to your right who did not have his parry up still gets hit somehow. But that is a different story.

• I think adding “Kill Assists” to the scoreboard would tone down the recklessness of the team killing a bit. Especially if kill assists would help toward unlocking weapons (perhaps worth .5). Anyone who gets a hit on an enemy before their HP fully restores to %100 gets an assist.