64 slot server in the UK ???

• We rent our servers from Multiplay; they are based in London and that suits our members… BUT they don’t do 64 slot servers and we want one.

Rather than trawl the interweb for a provider, we were wondering if anyone has a recommendation? (apart from don’t bother with 64 player servers because they are laggy).

• After bit of mucking about talking to server providers I can finally answer my own question and the answer is that there isn’t a UK based provider that is even willing to put the effort into trying to get a functional 64 slot server.

However, Simrai have been great, they had the test server up and running today. They fully admit that there is more work required but LTS and TDM worked brilliantly; it was amazing how quickly the thing filled up, within five minutes people were queuing up to get on.

Simrai are a small but quickly expanding server provider based in the Netherlands. Because of their willingness to help make functional 64 slot servers a reality, their excellent service and cheap prices we will be switching all four of our servers and TS over to them ASAP.

• Ive been looking for the exact same thing myself as i find 64p very playable and still get 60+ fps.

I would suggest a ping limit for it not to become a lagfest though.For this to work you are going to need a good cpu strong server,good backbone and low latency to the whole of the UK and you are going to want to have players with good fps and good connections.A few people with 160 ping and 40 fps are going to ruin it for everyone else.

Max ping of 80 seems fair given its location in the Netherlands
    Laggers temp banned for 1 week
    passworded and password changed to monday,tuesday etc so random people from sweden will not gain access even if the password is silly and easily known on a day by day basis to regular he will still never figure it out!

Keep us updated!

• 80ms is too little. <150ms is fine.

• It’s quite amazing work they’ve managed to do with 64 man battles.
    Maybe we can have a hunger game mode with 100 players on one map one day? xD
    would be so fucking awesome!!!

• @Reginhard:

After bit of mucking about talking to server providers I can finally answer my own question and the answer is that there isn’t a UK based provider that is even willing to put the effort into trying to get a functional 64 slot server.

However, Simrai have been great, they had the test server up and running today. They fully admit that there is more work required but LTS and TDM worked brilliantly; it was amazing how quickly the thing filled up, within five minutes people were queuing up to get on.

Simrai are a small but quickly expanding server provider based in the Netherlands. Because of their willingness to help make functional 64 slot servers a reality, their excellent service and cheap prices we will be switching all four of our servers and TS over to them ASAP.

While I love simrai just as much as you do, I was there for the 64 man test after the tick tweak was implemented, and it was still pretty damn laggy, and apparently extremely resource consuming for the server box. It might be possible to convince raizio to sell you a 64 man server (if you asked him nicely, almost certainly), but until the servers get a little bit of optimisation from the dev team, its probably a while off before they’re actually usable (and it might cost you quite a bit due to the resource consumption)

I would definitely recommend them if anyone was looking for a server host in general (cheap/good support), but I wouldn’t be getting your hopes up for a functional 64 player server

• @20k:

While I love simrai just as much as you do, I was there for the 64 man test after the tick tweak was implemented, and it was still pretty damn laggy, and apparently extremely resource consuming for the server box. It might be possible to convince raizio to sell you a 64 man server (if you asked him nicely, almost certainly), but until the servers get a little bit of optimisation from the dev team, its probably a while off before they’re actually usable (and it might cost you quite a bit due to the resource consumption)

I would definitely recommend them if anyone was looking for a server host in general (cheap/good support), but I wouldn’t be getting your hopes up for a functional 64 player server

Yes; I remember you being there; it got better when they tried LTS… as I’m probably the most computer illiterate person on these forums I wouldn’t have a clue whats required, I’m just grateful that they are trying. They bought a new server for the purpose and yes they did say that with 64 players on it took 16% CPU so yeah I guess there are going to be cost issues. Still; we are a well funded clan so if it can work we will get one.

• Oh it sounds great. 64-man battles must look amazing. I was on a 64 man server once, but it didn’t get full at all. It already started getting laggy when there were about 24 players. and no, it wasn’t my fps it was the server. (I really don’t want to be on that server when it’s full).
    Well I guess, if I really want to play a 64-man battle, I’ll need to wait for the suited servers and to get better equipment. I don’t want to set my graphics to the lowest.

• @Peter:

Oh it sounds great. 64-man battles must look amazing. I was on a 64 man server once, but it didn’t get full at all. It already started getting laggy when there were about 24 players. and no, it wasn’t my fps it was the server. (I really don’t want to be on that server when it’s full).
    Well I guess, if I really want to play a 64-man battle, I’ll need to wait for the suited servers and to get better equipment. I don’t want to set my graphics to the lowest.

You should check it out. The way they have handled lag issues seem to be similar to when you get lag in Tekken. It slows down the match for all players. Quit interesting.

• The CPU usage is fine. 16% isn’t even that much (RO2 64 slots uses roughly same)
    The problem was, there was a lot more resources left which the server didn’t take. I’d wish the game would take the left over resources so it could make 64 slots smoother. But the server is not the only problem;

Players need a decent CPU and decent connection for them to be able 64 slots too.
    Me and a few other players had around 70-80. The rest was all 110-120.
    TO is really CPU dependent, but the server simply wouldn’t take more power.
    LTS and such, the less players are running, the easier it becomes for every player and the server. Hence that works fairly well.

Not to mention, the price will be the same for 64 slots, not going to raise that. I’d just wish there’d be a way to optimize, more so than I have done. (Which was increase the tickrate, which makes it worse for people with bad connection)

• @Reginhard:

After bit of mucking about talking to server providers I can finally answer my own question and the answer is that there isn’t a UK based provider that is even willing to put the effort into trying to get a functional 64 slot server.

:o
    Incredible!!!

That’s quite a shock man - I love 64 player servers, have done since the glory days of RTCW.
    I had hoped that we’d be playing 64 a side by now - can’t believe that with the increase in comp power and broadband (we had dial up) that games have shrunk so much.
    If we had a decent 64 player server, I’d play there all the time.

I’m in the UK and REALLY hope you get this up and going (limit archers though) - good luck.