Cleric/Healer class

• While I was racking up kills and splaying the guts of my enemies over the ground, I read something another user said: “How would you guys like having a Wizard class added to the game” or something like that, and my immediate thoughts on it was of disapproval; that a class that could use magic would literally kill the game. Having someone cast fireballs or lightning bolts wouldn’t match the whole gladiator/medieval feel the game so accurately gives off. However, from this, another thought branched… what about a class that could heal, or at the very least, accelerate healing.

A Cleric class, or apothecary that can help other players regenerate their health. No overheals or anything overpowered like that, nor would it give them a chunk of health in the midst of a fight to give them an unfair advantage, but just start the full healing progress. What I mean by ‘full healing progress’ is when after not taking any damage, you begin to regenerate HP at steady rate, which increases each second you do not take any damage. Now, this regeneration process isn’t fast enough to turn the tide in any battle (unless it goes on for over, say, 10 - 15 seconds) but will allow any knight or vanguard, or any class really, to be able to get back INTO battle without having to either A) Sit back for 30 seconds to regenerate all of their health, doing nothing to the team, upon which it would be easier to just respawn, or B) Run into battle with little to no health. This will also help significantly in Last-Team Standing modes, where archers would specifically need to target Healers to gain an advantage or null the other teams advantage. Healer may or may not be able to heal the king, as it may cause prolonged gameplay.

The Healer would be defenseless on his own, with nothing more than a mere staff. The Special could be different types of spells. The Secondary could be limited to only a dagger in defense, with no option for a shield. The primary is a staff, as I mentioned, that does very little damage (maybe around 20%?) with little reach and speed. The Healer is vulnerable and needs the protection of his knights and vanguards to live. It would be a mutually beneficial relationship between Knight + Healer or Vanguard + Healer. Similar to a Heavy + Medic combo in Team Fortress 2, except without an overheal or ubercharge, or a very healing rate. However, unlike the Medic in TF2, he can’t do anything, and is a prime target for Archers to pick off at a distance. The Healer may or may not have armor, and if so, has light armor similar to archers. They’d be killed in 1 - 2 hits by most classes, except without the means to truly defend themselves.

The spells they get, healing spells that is, could drain Stamina instead of overhauling a new mana-bar or something like that, so a depleted Healer wouldn’t be able to run, and a fleeing Healer wouldn’t be able to heal, making him useless. The rate at which is drains could proportional to the amount of healing the Healer does. Like, say he uses ALL of his Stamina from max, it would only heal half the HP of a Knight or something similar. So, 100 Stamina = 50 HP. This means the Knight doesn’t get full health and become a new, born-again tank, but just a more well-off one than before. The Healer would be more or less forced to stay behind his teammates and offer healing to whomever needed it. The Healer would also be capable of seeing his teammates HP. Another suggestion would be, while one spell supply a slow yet continuous stream of healing, have one that will heal a certain amount at once. Say, all 100 Stamina for 40HP or something like that, so he can give it someone in the middle of a fight. It’d be hard to balance it, but I’m sure if others liked my idea, they’d be able to contribute and help it become a reality.

So, in summary:

Healer:

• Very Weak and unable to defense himself; relies on other Heavy classes to keep him alive
    • Can either A) Heal at a slow yet continuous rate, or B) Restore X amount of HP all at once
    • Stamina bar is their mana bar, used for both Magic + Running away
    • Little to no armor
    • Little to no damage
    • Purely support class

While the Healer may seem a bit useless by himself, imagine 3 to 4 healers working together to keep their team in tip-top shape. Two could fully heal a knight, or mostly heal him. Of course this leaves them vulnerable and only able to help one or two at a time, but the more Healers, the less combat classes, but the more the strong Heavy classes (Players who know what they're doing) can stay up and push.

Let me know if this is a good idea or not, or a bad one. I just came up with it about 20 minutes ago, so it may not be completely thought out.

• No.

• I am a cleric. Fine mod, but not for the core game.

• @dudeface:

No.

And why not?

• Replace Man at Arms with this class and I’m for it!

Otherwise… No. It won’t work with the game.

• Doesn’t really fit into the game.
    Would work fine in a more fantasy-themed mod.

If you want a support class, it would make more sense to have an engineer or something. He could improve the efficiency of siege weapons within a certain radius, destroy doors faster, etc. Maybe even carry some ammo.

• I’m already designing a mod idea on paper atm.

Classes considered:

Crusader (Durable + Healing)
    Sorcerer (Support + Zoning)
    Assassin (Crippling Poisons + Stealth / Trickery)
    Berserker (Range + Onslaught)

A little teaser for you. No idea what the name of the mod could be.

• Talking about mods, coolest thing ever would be if someone decided to make a Myth-themed mod. Oh maaan… and there’s a healer class in that one, he fights with a shovel!

• @theif519:

@dudeface:

No.

And why not?

You realize this game is not about harry potter, wizards, etc.

Not that I would mind Hermione Granger, but still its not what the game is about.

Thats what mods are for.

• @gregcau:

@theif519:

@dudeface:

No.

And why not?

You realize this game is not about harry potter, wizards, etc.

Not that I would mind Hermione Granger, but still its not what the game is about.

Thats what mods are for.

How easy is it to make a mod for the game? Would it allow you to make a ‘spell’ that can modify another character’s HP?

• @theif519:

…and my immediate thoughts on it was of disapproval; that a class that could use magic would literally kill the game. However, from this, another thought branched… what about a class that could heal, or at the very least, accelerate healing.

How is it not magic to cure heavy injuries in minutes? Guess people are to much used to that unrealistic magic fantasy world…

Please limit magical effects in this game to a minimum.

• As far as realism goes, it’s not a good idea.

However, I don’t completely hate the idea. I can’t see many people wanting to play a class like that though, because it would get rather dull to just stand away from the fight healing people. You need more from a healing class to keep interest.

• You die too fast and heal too fast in this game. Having a medic would be pointless.

Stand in a corner for 20 seconds from no health and your back to full strength again.

Better to fight. As long as your not sprinting or using a sheild you’ll heal fighting.

• @theif519:

How easy is it to make a mod for the game? Would it allow you to make a ‘spell’ that can modify another character’s HP?

Won’t know until the mod tools come out. I guess it could be a wand with a targetting system similar to a ranged weapon - instead of an arrow its a heal spell, or a fireball. Animation is probably the hardest work.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I’m already designing a mod idea on paper atm.

Classes considered:

Crusader (Durable + Healing)
    Sorcerer (Support + Zoning)
    Assassin (Crippling Poisons + Stealth / Trickery)
    Berserker (Range + Onslaught)

A little teaser for you. No idea what the name of the mod could be.

Well how about “Dark Messiah Multiplayer Ripoff”? :D
    Sounds alot like it. Not that it’s bad, but… ;)

In general, no. This is a manly man’s game and we heal up by sucking our manly thumbs with our manly mouths. We don’t need healers.