Better gamepad support/ List of gamepad issues

• The current gamepad support is… less than stellar.

• Cannot rebind buttons
    • No option of toggle or hold crouch
    • Dodge as the MAA with the analog stick is… dodgy (Tap sideways and move back, etc)
    • No in game option to adjust sentivisty
    • Cannot reload with crossbow
    • No binding for alts.

• @Goregasm:

Hey man! I use an Xbox 360 Controller to play Chivalry. About 300 hours in and I only use the mouse when I’m using a ballista haha. My set-up may seem very odd to you, but it works very well for me so Ill tell you how I play(even able to do alt swings!).

Most buttons I’ve kept the same (ie RT: Swing, RB: Overhead and LB: Thrust), however I use my index finger to press the A, B, X and Y buttons so that I can have fingers available to hit ALL buttons without sacrificing a thumb(for looking around) to press said buttons. I main the MAA and use the ‘A’ button to not only jump(while sprinting) but it is also my one button dodge when I’m not sprinting, for other classes ‘A’ is only jump. My ‘X’ button is the busiest button I have, I use it to activate things(ie. use catapult, refill ammo), holding it allows me to use alternative attacks which I’m able to accomplish quite well, and finally when I actually play an archer, I use it to reload crossbows. I use ‘B’ to feint and to only feint. I’m actually not bad at the game and usually always do quite well. Everything else is already mapped to my liking(just plugged in and they’re set). Also, I usually play in third person, but I actually think I play better when I use first, I just like the way the game looks from third person.

Here is a picture I took of how I hold my controller, to give you all ideas I know you’re probably trying to imagine.

This is something I wrote awhile back in another thread, it could help you and I’m sure you’re looking for any advice. To be quite honest, holding my controller this way has really assisted the way I play games with controllers. I would recommend trying it, it’s really not as hard as a lot of people think it is. Hope I’ve shed a bit of insight on different ways you could hold the controller. Good luck.

• Hey,

I’m posting to this thread as what I got to say is quite familar. I’m playing with a xboxcontroller as well, only use keyboard to reload crossbow :D I would looove to be able to edit my controller keybindings (which doesn’t work…) and controller button icons in the tutorials would have helped a lot. This video someone else did summs it up pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFokbc_AH8E

Keep up the good work!
    PS: Any ideas why changing keydindings doesn’t work? If i click itr and then click another button nothing happens… The way this should work:

• I click the alternative key-slot
    • I then press a button on the controller
      -> that becomes the new alternative or primary key for that action

• @DaEvil:

Hey,

I’m posting to this thread as what I got to say is quite familar. I’m playing with a xboxcontroller as well, only use keyboard to reload crossbow :D I would looove to be able to edit my controller keybindings (which doesn’t work…) and controller button icons in the tutorials would have helped a lot. This video someone else did summs it up pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFokbc_AH8E

Keep up the good work!
    PS: Any ideas why changing keydindings doesn’t work? If i click itr and then click another button nothing happens… The way this should work:

• I click the alternative key-slot
    • I then press a button on the controller
      -> that becomes the new alternative or primary key for that action

Hey Evil! I’m unsure as to why what you stated above doesn’t work for you. If I configure the keybinds in Chivalry, I double click the keybind I want to change with the mouse and then I hit the button with my controller and it binds it to the controller. Even the tutorial will state the buttons I need to press of the controller to do said action. However, instead of reading ‘X’ to reload crossbow, it says something…odd, like ‘XboxTypeS_X",Command=“GBA_RELOAD”’

• here is my config, it works quite well!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15169

• @Goregasm:

I double click the keybind I want to change

Thanks a lot mate! That was actually it, I did not double click but only single clicked :D Kinda stupid but to my defense double clicking a input field is not really the common thing, anyways cheers for your help again, cu on the battlefield!

• @DaEvil:

@Goregasm:

I double click the keybind I want to change

Thanks a lot mate! That was actually it, I did not double click but only single clicked :D Kinda stupid but to my defense double clicking a input field is not really the common thing, anyways cheers for your help again, cu on the battlefield!

Awesome, glad I could help you have some fun. Cya there! :D