Useful links/topics/tips for new players

• Is there a list of topics or links or tips for new players?

There’s only so much that training and the wiki will tell you, after all.

• Tactics/ Tutorials Forum:
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=85

Combat Tutorial #1:
    [youtubehd:34pllv5r]TevnvCS85z0[/youtubehd:34pllv5r]

Combat Tutorial #2:
    [youtubehd:34pllv5r]Q7cTvQklWvU[/youtubehd:34pllv5r]

Mechanical Guide to Combat:
    [youtubehd:34pllv5r]ot1CyH_AnMM[/youtubehd:34pllv5r]

H E X E N’s Uploads: (does a lot of awesome weapon videos)
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nc4lZdN7LNkQl2aep9rxA/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Chivalry Slang:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13634

• Every now and again I think about compiling a FAQ but its a lot of work, maybe one day.

• Edited it a bit and added some videos to make it prettier and more helpful!

• I think the fastest way a player can gain real experience (not level points) is to play FFA. This has the highest density of fighting. Therefore you will have more opportunities to fight.

Pick a low pop server though, something between 8-16 players, 12 is a sweet spot for learning.

I would say, concentrate on staying alive above all else. Spend time simply blocking/parrying and getting out of range. Don’t attack people, just learn to survive.

After you have built up a good strong defense, you will begin to see glaring opportunities for very safe attacks. Then you can start increasing your aggressiveness.

The reason why I say learn this way is that if a fight is going badly for you, you will have well trained skills to get out of that fight and ‘reset’ it, and hopefully bring it back to your favour.

Also try and train yourself to parry as late as possible, not as soon as possible. <–---- this is a big factor in preventing feints from being too powerful against you. If you can bring yourself not to parry instantly a majority of feints directed at you will prove useless to your late parry. Only the most well timed feints will get through. It will also help immensely with the up-coming feinting changes, which should have players feinting earlier in their windup than later.

Good luck.

• sticky this please.

• Most of the terms explained. Helped me starting out:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13634

• Anything else?

I still see a lot of terms and see references to techniques i’m not familiar with.

• @jabberwockxeno:

Anything else?

I still see a lot of terms and see references to techniques i’m not familiar with.

I would suggest to post them in the topic I’ve mentioned as soon as you encounter them.

• @Toll:

I think the fastest way a player can gain real experience (not level points) is to play FFA. This has the highest density of fighting. Therefore you will have more opportunities to fight.

Pick a low pop server though, something between 8-16 players, 12 is a sweet spot for learning.

I would say, concentrate on staying alive above all else. Spend time simply blocking/parrying and getting out of range. Don’t attack people, just learn to survive.

After you have built up a good strong defense, you will begin to see glaring opportunities for very safe attacks. Then you can start increasing your aggressiveness.

The reason why I say learn this way is that if a fight is going badly for you, you will have well trained skills to get out of that fight and ‘reset’ it, and hopefully bring it back to your favour.

Also try and train yourself to parry as late as possible, not as soon as possible. <–---- this is a big factor in preventing feints from being too powerful against you. If you can bring yourself not to parry instantly a majority of feints directed at you will prove useless to your late parry. Only the most well timed feints will get through. It will also help immensely with the up-coming feinting changes, which should have players feinting earlier in their windup than later.

Good luck.

FFA will only really train you to swing your 2Her a lot and might teach you a bit about range, but what’s rewarded is finding people fighting and doing large sweeping attacks, so that’s what people do.

• Its a shame shara doesn’t make chivalry videos anymore. Shara is the best MAA I have ever seen.

• There is also a helpful Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enummoc

Where you can get yourself an experienced player to answer questions and spar with you

• FFA will only really train you to swing your 2Her a lot and might teach you a bit about range, but what’s rewarded is finding people fighting and doing large sweeping attacks, so that’s what people do.

Not a tall.

That is true for people who are happy to get mid-range scores.

If you want to truly dominate a FFA match, KDR 4+, then you must master economy of movement. You can’t swing your 2Her a lot, you must not miss, you must defend well, you must choose your targets well, you must remain aware of your surroundings at all time so people can’t kill you from behind, you must not waste stamina. YOU MUST NOT DIE.

Every death in FFA mode costs you a lot of potential kills. Sure you can try and top score through DPS, but a score of 40/30 is not impressive, lol and probably not possible if you spent 3.5 minutes dead in a 10 minute round. Scores of 45/5 are much more impressive and can’t be achieved if you don’t know the game well and playing against competent people.

In a 10 FFA match you will get a far higher density of fights, including 1v1’s, then you would in duel mode. Hence you have a much more efficient speed of learning.

• @Toll:

FFA will only really train you to swing your 2Her a lot and might teach you a bit about range, but what’s rewarded is finding people fighting and doing large sweeping attacks, so that’s what people do.

Not a tall.

If you want to truly dominate a FFA match, KDR 4+, then you must master economy of movement. You can’t swing your 2Her a lot, you must not miss, you must defend well, you must choose your targets well, you must remain aware of your surroundings at all time so people can’t kill you from behind, you must not waste stamina. YOU MUST NOT DIE.

Every death in FFA mode costs you a lot of potential kills. Sure you can try and top score through DPS, but a score of 40/30 is not impressive, lol and probably not possible if you spent 3.5 minutes dead in a 10 minute round. Scores of 45/5 are much more impressive and can’t be achieved if you don’t know the game well and playing against competent people.

In a 10 FFA match you will get a far higher density of fights, including 1v1’s, then you would in duel mode. Hence you have a much more efficient speed of learning.

I understand what you’re saying, but I worry that all this talk about learning the game through FFA seriously stunts players from holding back their swings when there are a large number of teammates around them. In my opinion one of the most important aspects of this game is to be able to accurately hit what you’re trying to, and not just LMB away. FFA encourages LMB like no other mode because you really are trying to hit EVERYONE.

Just my thoughts.

• @Toll:

Not a tall.

Yeah, I know. But a new player won’t do that, they will simply LMB around and kill a bunch of people. The basics you speak of are not learned in FFA and most people look at kills not KDR anyway.

• . FFA encourages LMB like no other mode because you really are trying to hit EVERYONE.

Ahh, that is the secret to consistent winning of FFA, you don’t want to hit everyone with 1 swing. You want to manage all the opponents, that means flinching that guy, using the attack from the next guy to parry into a counter into the third guy coming (ie you DON’T want him flinched to do this). If you try to hit everyone with one swing, you leave yourself open to being hit by the guy who was out of range to begin with.

However, as you guys have pointed out, I should have said it is best to play all game modes. Except perhaps LTS as a beginner (you don’t want to spend half your gaming time dead, waiting for the next round).

TO simply because the TO maps are good fun.
    TDM to get to higher frequency fights, whilst learning to work with team mates. However you have the added issue of team mates hitting you far, far to bloody often.
    FFA for highest frequency fighting and to learn to be completely aware of your surroundings.
    Duel mode to focus on combat techniques in a 1v1 environment, low fighting frequency though.
    LTS builds on defense so you primarily stay alive. secondary is killing people.

I guess it does take a certain amount of self-discipline to effectively learn in FFA. It may be too tempting for a new player to pick up a Vanguard with claymore and LMB away and learn practically nothing. However, for those truly interesting in learning to be a great fighter, quickly, FFA is a great place to do it.
    Duel mode would be pretty good, I just find the the fighting frequency is just too low.