Remove crosshair for bow

• Reason :
    bad feeling as a bow man
    it usually hides the target (huge thickness)

Suggestions :
    Do like on AOC : no crosshair, just the extremity of the arrow is in the middle of the screen (= like a crosshair).
    Or possibility to remove/personnalize crosshair (thickness, alpha, etc…)

same for catapult

about ZOOM: should be binded to RIGHTCLIC (like for quake’s railgun) to be more intuitive.

i hold LEFTCLIC to bend my bow
    then i keep holding RIGHTCLIC to zoom, i release RIGHTCLIC to unzoom
    finally, i release LEFTCLIC to send my arrow

• I’m not for removing it (by the way you can hide the crosshair by pressing U button) but modifying it would be nice. Maybe some transparency options and colour choice would be nice.

• I actually dislike the crosshair very much, and the zooming in.

It’s something I never expected from this team to do to be honest, but it’s not that big of a deal in the end.

• I don’t like the crosshairs but I like the zoom (focus). The game requires a wider field of view for melee, but you want to narrow it when you’re trying to hit something as an archer. And it makes perfect sense to me both gameplay-wise and reality-wise. The human eye is a very complex and sophisticated organ, and it does have a built-in zoom function in a way. Crosshairs, though, I don’t like. Especially with Chivalry’s minimal to the point of invisible HUD, they just stand out way too much as something that doesn’t feel like it belongs.

• well dont wanna sound like an ahole but im doing archery since im 12 …. focusing doesnt zoom your eyes in no matter how good u are concentrating is just for your mind and spirit so your freggin body does what your mind is asking it

i really hate crosshairs n such and it is nice that u can atleast turn it off…

btw there should be like a kinda “recoil” stuff so the arrows move around in a small area of the “crosshair”(arrowtip) for every single shot cause its nearly impossible to copy ur last shot to 100percent only true masters of archery (id say like 25 years 7days a week 8 hoursnonstop archery) can perfom such a thing.

• @Thorendir:

well dont wanna sound like an ahole but im doing archery since im 12 …. focusing doesnt zoom your eyes in no matter how good u are concentrating is just for your mind and spirit so your freggin body does what your mind is asking it

Obviously focusing on an object doesn’t make it appear closer, but it does make it clearer and allow your brain to calculate distance more accurately. The zoom is really the closest approximation a videogame can come to the complex inner workings of the human eye and brain. Try and read this message with just your peripheral vision and tell me focusing your eyes doesn’t have real physical benefits :P

• I’m also for context sensitive controls (right click zoom). As it is, a lot of the controls are really inefficient. Mainly in regards to the voice comms, bows.

• Yes please remove crosshairs and make archery just like old AoC.

• so its something to compensate the missing depth? i agree somewhat with the fact with reading, but still this is not really right. Concentration is made by the brain and eyes aswell as aiming, reading and other stuff. Focusing on a thing just leaves everything else behind, so its rather weird that this game takes the advantage of “thinking”

well this is just my opinion and i didnt feel really comfortable with zooming, its my problem and the solution is not to zoom in (for me). i love this game already and i hope ppl are really enjoing it

• @Mas:

Yes please remove crosshairs and make archery just like old AoC.

If you remove crosshairs, I would simply just put a dot on the middle of my screen.

This can be done either with a sticker on your screen or a program with customizable overlay that leaves a dot in the middle. If you don’t want the crosshair to show, just press U to turn it off. Forcing it off will just put people at a disadvantage vs those that decide to place a dot on their screen because why not do that (the workaround would take all of 1 sec to do).

• Knowing where the middle of your screen is isn’t an advantage because there are no hitscan weapons in this game and projectiles don’t have straight trajectories. That’s my only issue with crosshairs. They mislead people more than anything. Go watch any video of someone new to Chivalry trying to play archer - they’ll always be centering the person in their crosshairs, so if they even hit them they’ll usually hit the feet.

• @SlyGoat:

Knowing where the middle of your screen is isn’t an advantage because there are no hitscan weapons in this game and projectiles don’t have straight trajectories. That’s my only issue with crosshairs. They mislead people more than anything. Go watch any video of someone new to Chivalry trying to play archer - they’ll always be centering the person in their crosshairs, so if they even hit them they’ll usually hit the feet.

That is just the arc. Once you aim with the crosshair, you just have to adjust up or down for the arc (and slightly left or right for whichever direction the enemy is running.) It works the same way in all fps games with projectiles that have an arc. Arrows in Chivalry simply have a bigger arc is all.

Myself I find the crosshair to be very useful as a tool of measure on your screen. The closer the enemy, closer my crosshair should be, the farther, the more I aim the crosshair above their head. It can already be toggled, so I don’t see the issue.

Removing it would only cause an issue for those that want it, while others will use other means to still have it. So removing the crosshair really doesn’t seem like an option.

• In AoC the tip of the arrow was at the center of your screen, so you just used that as your frame of reference. It was much more immersive and less confusing for people who expected their arrows to fall within the crosshair.

• @SlyGoat:

In AoC the tip of the arrow was at the center of your screen, so you just used that as your frame of reference. It was much more immersive and less confusing for people who expected their arrows to fall within the crosshair.

If that is what you suggest. I kind of dislike that because currently I use the arrow tip to point at far away enemies but it also block’s me from seeing where exactly a far away enemy is.

Example: The enemy is far enough that I have to point the tip of my arrow above their head but then I cannot visually see their character because the arrow is blocking my view, so it makes it difficult to aim when I can’t see the enemy and I must do guess work.

If the arrowtip permanently became the crosshair, this would be an issue all the time.
    If immersion is the idea, that surely ruin it because a real bow and arrow do not block your own view.

• @~X~:

If the arrowtip permanently became the crosshair, this would be an issue all the time.
    If immersion is the idea, that surely ruin it because a real bow and arrow do not block your own view.

I wouldn’t bet on that if I wre you. I’m not the one who could answer to this, but I’m sure there are people here who might strongly disagree with this statement.

• I miss the old AOC way, it was a really immersive and unique way of dealing with the Bows and Crossbows. There were actually no Crosshairs in the early alpha, it was just as before with looking at the arrow tip and then with Crossbows, when in aimed mode, you would look down the stock of the Crossbow and aim with the tip of the bolt, it felt pretty awesome and really felt like you actually had a bow or crossbow, but alas, it was changed. If you want revenge, aim for Pat whenever you see him ;)

• yep over here.

archery is build on guessing lol …. i mean if my arm blocks my view … my arm blocks my view - dat simple. so if i have to aim “very” high to hit my enemy my arm wouldnt go invisible at all, at least thats the way it works for me …

btw it would also make them archers go mad on everyone just because they can easily hit stuff, and the reward for that would go down (age of chivalry few: can archery get any easier in aiming terms?)

and the players skill and immersion would be crushed if they just see a freaking dot moving above their heads telling them how far the enemy is how much hp he has and what type of cake he prefers.

i mean think of that XD that sounds like frekin battlefield