[MECH] A Functional Addition To An Existing Quirk

• Have you ever tried holding crouch and sprint at the same time?
    Well, it makes you play a regular sprinting animation while walking at normal speed (but with momentum gain).
    So, I thought, why not have some fun with that quirk?

The Idea:
    Make sprinting while holding crouch (or optionally one other bound button instead of these two, I suppose) make you run at your normal walk speed (with no momentum gain), while still staying silent. Attacks made will not produce grunts*, running out of stamina will not produce heavy breathing/panting/whining noises*, weapon swings and enemy death/pain cries will be muffled* (around half volume and only audible within around 8 meters), and footsteps will not** be audible while using this mechanic.

The drawbacks:

No health regeneration, stamina drain (10 stamina every second (a smooth drain, not a linear subtraction, by the way)), lower ranged weapon accuracy (in-between sprinting inaccuracy and walking inaccuracy)

The uses:

Sneaking up on archers at a timely pace, sneaking into your enemy’s base, sneaking into position around prying ears, stalking along while taking (inaccurate) potshots at confused newbies, and general skulking applications.

The class-based quirks

Knight: Cannot use feature at all. Optionally allow something else like a jog (moving as normal when holding that key combo (walking speed with momentum) with 50% normal health/stamina regeneration for more mobility while recovering), or something.

**Vanguard: Can use feature. Drawback: Still audible, but quiet. Like an archer plainly walking (only audible within about six meters, and still pretty quiet).

MAA: Base; no quirks here.

Archer: Rogue bonus also confers stamina drain reduction with this mechanic (let’s call it Skulking. Or maybe Stalking. Or maybe Bitch Running, I don’t bloody know): It only drains 5 stamina every second, for a total possible Stulking (nailed it) time of 20 seconds.

Rambling, yo

*Also applies (or should be made to apply) to vanilla crouching.
    Also, inb4 “just use crough, fegget loll”; this is the point: There’s a strange quirk already there that we could use, and moving while crouching is a waddle. Adding this would give sneaky players a silent movement option that isn’t face-meltingly slow, but with (hopefully) balancing drawbacks. Does it fit in? Not exactly. But it also doesn’t clash at all, either (Vanguard and even bloody Knight can become instantly silent with crawling already). I don’t know about you, but I could see at least light classes (especially archer, especially with such a term as “rogue” being attributed to them) controlling their footsteps in their apparently soft leather booties so that they can skulk along unheard by the fleshy enemy mass just waiting for a Sabre to be buried in their back. But apparently it takes a whole lot of effort, though. :D

• I think it´s a good idea but right now there aren´t many maps with thick vegetation or vast buildings that would make this useable. I do see your point and it´s a good one, stealth really shines in most first person shooters but I´m not sure if we can benefint from stealth in Chivalry…

• @funthomass:

I think it´s a good idea but right now there aren´t many maps with thick vegetation or vast buildings that would make this useable. I do see your point and it´s a good one, stealth really shines in most first person shooters but I´m not sure if we can benefint from stealth in Chivalry…

We could. In quite a few ways and situations. Let’s build some scenarios!

It’s Team Deathmatch on Stoneshill Village. There’s three enemy archers on the hill (and there is never not an archer on the hill). You’re a Vanguard with a Great Sword and War Axe, around the base of the hill. As it is right now, with you probably just sprinting along, the archers would hear you, and shoot you dead because you’re a Vanguard. With this mechanic, you could skulk along the side, recover some stamina, then skulk up behind an enemy MAA that wandered half-way up the hill and eliminate him with your War Axe, striking him down with two decisive blows; your character, weapon, and victim all muffled. Then skulk up behind the archers and kill all of them with one glorious swing of your mighty blade, as you triumphantly show off to your teammates below with a standing taunt.

Here’s another: It’s Last Team Standing on Argon’s Wall. There’s an enemy Vanguard and Knight inside the middle upper part of the wall (with the ammo chests and cauldrons). You are an archer with a Crossbow and Broad Dagger. You’re underneath them. You could skulk along, so that they cannot hear you, until you get to the stairs, then you can sprint up the stairs and up onto the wall, snipe the Vanguard with your Crossbow, and proceed to skulk up to the now-panicking Knight, and then take him down with a lightning flurry of backstabs from your Broad Dagger, snatching victory for your team from the jaws of the enemy.

There will never really be any “good” stealth in this game; this mechanic is really more about allowing greater subtlety than we already have. One can already be subtle, but this mechanic would enhance it by allowing us to move at a faster pace silently, and would also include some subtlety enhancement to vanilla crouching by necessity.