How to make the Polehammer fun to use and viable

• Ok I think we all agree the Polehammer needs a buff. This weapon is the Vgs shortest (yes even shorter than the claymore), slowest (non spear, yes even the halberd is faster on its slash/overhead and that are the polehammer’s main attacks) that even needs a headshot to 2shot Knights and cannot even 1shot Archers without a charge attack. Or in other words: Many Vg weapons are a straight upgrade (as in faster, longer AND more damaging). So what are our possibilities to make this weapon balanced? There are 3:

1. 2/2/2/3 (htk for Archer/MaA/Vg/Knight) This would mean the polehammer would have to be the fastest Vg weapon, I don’t see that as fitting for a hammer. We are talking about a windup lower than 0.45 to get this short thing balanced with these htk values.

2a) 2/2/2/2 would still have to be pretty fast and would most likely be very good against Knights but not that good against everyone else

2b) 1(h)/1(h)/2/2 ((h) means a headshot is required) This would only have to be slightly slower than 2a), as Archers are rarely your target and hitting a MaA’s head is not that easy. I would prefer 2b) to 2a) though. I don’t really like 2a/b), because the polehammer would still have to be as fast as a longsword, which I see as too fast to fit a 2handed hammer.

1. 1/1(h)/1(h)/2 Yes that is the maul’s htk. That way we could have a heavy hitting, short (for a Vg) and slow weapon. Something the Vg lacks, as right now the longer a Vg’s weapon is, the slower it is. A slow short high damage weapon is something which would really fit the polehammer. I never got why only the Knight got the most damaging weapon in the game, while the Vg, the who is advertised in game as the guy with the most damaging weapons, only got long sticks. Maul for Vg :D

So here are the proposed changes:

Slash/Attack1 100 Blunt (+30)
    Overhead/Attack2 125 Blunt (+50)
    Stab/Attack3 65 Pierce
    Sprint Attack 115 Pierce (+15)

windup combo release recovery
    Slash 0.7 0.825 0.55 0.9
    Overhead 0.7 0.825 0.55 0.9
    Stab 0.65 0.725 0.4 0.8

Windup, combo and recovery of overhead and slash increased, release of slash decreased, recovery of stab increased. So now the polehammer should be the Vg’s maul: longer but on a more fragile platform. Which is basically the concept of most Knight/Vg weapon realtions. For example: A Greatsword is pretty much a longer Longsword. The only other difference being that the polehammer’s stab is slower but more damaging (to account for the pointy end). Charge buffed, because we don’t need another weapon which does much more damage with its overhead than with its charge attack ;).

I think these changes would really fit the weapon, create a really new Vg weapon which is fun to use(because admit it: everyone loves the maul;) ) and also make the Polehammer viable, al at the same time.

edit: sorry that the tables look so messed up, the forum ate all my spaces :/ I hope it is still understandable though.

• A vanguard equivalent for maul… I might even be willing to pay for this, vanguard needs and wants this. Cant tell you how much better this would be than the current pile of crap that is the polehammer. POLEMAUL FTW!

• i think since most if not all of the vg weapons are more of a cutting (good against mma and archers) and not a lot that deal a blunt weapon dmg than the polehammer should be the best weapon against knight by having high blunt force… i dont think it should have a buff against mma and archers they are quiet underpowered already (unless you are skilled with either of them with is extremly hard to be…)

• Hammerfest round 2 the polehammers beat the grand maces. I don’t think they’re that underpowered. If any of the CU1 weapons needs looked at for underpoweredness, it’s the sling.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=11519&start=60

• I wasn’t paying attention and I thought this thread title was “How to make a Programmer fun to use and viable” at first glance.

• That’s pretty much over buffed it.

I use it like a shorter faster halberd. But it can two hit knights with two overheads or and LMB overhead with one of the attacks hitting the head.

Its not that weak. And its barely shorter than the claymore if it even is so. It doesn’t actually give a length in the in game stats.

Keep in mind that it does do blunt damage.

It was utterly useless during the beta. They almost doubled it’s stats before why do it again.

And since the pole hammers stab can two hit vanguards its stab damage would have to be 75 not 65 otherwise it wouldn’t happen.
    Where did you get the pole hammers stats? I can actually find them on the stats spread sheet. And the in game ones is out dated and incomplete.

• Polehammer stats are on the bottom of Martin’s spreadsheet. Keep in mind I also slowed it down to the speed of the Maul. I’m quite sure it is not op with these stas, but of course you would have to playtest them. Its a Vg version of the Maul (as in simply longer) and as we know the Maul is right now VERY far from being op (infact its up). Tbh I think this buff would not be enough, but better that way than to overbuff it and force every Vg to use it. It is better to close in on the balanced state with buffs, not with nerfs.

And once again to the guys who think this weapon is “not bad”: it is bad. Very bad. Take the Zweihänder for example. Is this weapon op? Nope. Is it the best Vg weapon? Nope. Do you see it often in competitive scrims? Nope. Yet it still is far longer, much faster and does more damage. Would the Polehammer be useful (which it is not) then the Zwei would be op as hell.

• @Falc:

Polehammer stats are on the bottom of Martin’s spreadsheet. Keep in mind I also slowed it down to the speed of the Maul. I’m quite sure it is not op with these stas, but of course you would have to playtest them. Its a Vg version of the Maul (as in simply longer) and as we know the Maul is right now VERY far from being op (infact its up). Tbh I think this buff would not be enough, but better that way than to overbuff it and force every Vg to use it. It is better to close in on the balanced state with buffs, not with nerfs.

And once again to the guys who think this weapon is “not bad”: it is bad. Very bad. Take the Zweihänder for example. Is this weapon op? Nope. Is it the best Vg weapon? Nope. Do you see it often in competitive scrims? Nope. Yet it still is far longer, much faster and does more damage. Would the Polehammer be useful (which it is not) then the Zwei would be op as hell.

10 more damage for each attack and it’ll be fine.

And it wasn’t at the bottom. The next page. Didn’t realise there was more than one.

Infact looking at the next page stats why the fuck would you use a pebble instead of a lead ball for the sling?

• @lemonater47:

10 more damage for each attack and it’ll be fine.

I’m sorry that is not true. The Zwei would still be a direct upgrade with much more speed, much more range and better damage. Believe me anything but Maul damage requires this thing to be unhammerly fast, because it is so short.

@lemonater47:

And it wasn’t at the bottom. The next page. Didn’t realise there was more than one.

Strange everything is on the same page for me….different browser mabe? I use Firefox.