[Game Mechanic] 120 degree HEAD turn

• Once again I want to propose what I consider to be a very fundamental and, therefore, much needed game mechanic: Turning your character’s head without turning the whole body.

According to http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_degr … _head_turn a human head can turn approximately 90 degrees. In Chivalry we can’t turn even 1 without moving our entire body. Personally I believe this is a flawed design and we should be able to move our heads within 90-120 degree ranges. I will shortly explain the problems the current design creates for Chivalry Medieval Warfare:

Anyone trying to block an incoming attack from a frontal enemy while being circled by another has no chance of quickly gaining an overview of both the frontal attacker AND the ambusher. Why is this a problem you ask? Well, why is it that a certain similar game from 2008 has exactly this mechanic (albeit in an exaggerated 360 degree version with the use of the ½ button) and Chivalry has nothing similar to compensate? The aforementioned situation without ‘turning head mechanic’ results in the player’s only choice being to run away and get assistance; either from allies or from environmental obstacles or simply to pray that he will kill one of them fast as to not get overwhelmed. With the mechanic implemented, experienced players would now have the ability to take on multiple enemies in all circumstances. This is not to say that such outnumbered fights will be easy (you still cannot singularly block multiple well-coordinated attacks from multiple players), but at least they won’t be hindered by a mechanic, so intuitive and essential, simply not being in the game.

Whether this essential mechanic will have animations or not is not vital, but it will of course make it feel more polished and realistic if they were made. It goes without saying that I personally would love to see this added since I feel it is such a simple and yet so game enhancing mechanic.

Thanks for reading.

• Oculus Rift.

• So the mouse currently moves the body, where your weapon attacks, parries etc.

Exactly what keys or second mouse are you proposing to do the head movement?

• It is an interesting thing to consider. Since this game is all about close engagements it leaves us with the vision problem: when your opponent is close, you can´t see shit! Why? Because you have a small square screen with max 120 FOV. In real life you have probably the same field of view but no square screen. So the only way one could avoid the vision problem is possibly by having 3 screens synced up.

Thoughts?

• @funthomass:

It is an interesting thing to consider. Since this game is all about close engagements it leaves us with the vision problem: when your opponent is close, you can´t see shit! Why? Because you have a small square screen with max 120 FOV. In real life you have probably the same field of view but no square screen. So the only way one could avoid the vision problem is possibly by having 3 screens synced up.

Thoughts?

6 screens. To minimise the stretching.

Or one of them curved alienware screens bigger than a TV.

• Which button should be used? I’d say ½ button - as in Mount and Blade. Anyway, players can change hotkeys ingame so not a big deal really.

If M&B hadn’t had the free view ½ mechanic, it would have been such a pain to play in multiplayer (not that it isn’t anyway, now that we have a better game called Chivalry, but you get the point…). It felt so great being able to take on four newbies trying to assault you from all sides in that game, and the same is simply impossible in Chiv at the moment.

• @Elminster:

It felt so great being able to take on four newbies trying to assault you from all sides in that game, and the same is simply impossible in Chiv at the moment.

Crouch, look up, parry.

• Sounds interesting. But I’m not sure about the controls. This might be a little fiddly, especially for new players.
    This mechanic would make it of course more realistic.
    But considering the warriors from middle-age, when those wore helmets their view was very limited. So in case the devs consider this to be implemented, they should also add this realistic view for helmets.

• Sounds neat, bump for interest.

• The only way I can see this being implemented in an intuitive way is with a Track IR for plane simulators that follows your real-life head movements. So you could turn your head to the left to pan the camera that way.

All in all, I think it would have very little effect for a large amount of work to implement it. I don’t even think you would have time to look around before you get stabbed from different directions anyway.