How come 1st and 3rd aim is different

• How come its different? when i shoot arrows from 3th person none of them hit and they land left from where the crosshair is while in 1st they are spot on.
    Will you fix this or will you just disable 3rd person because whats the use of it if you cant use it correctly?

• Chivalry has 3rd person view? :roll:

• It’s always hard to simulate 100% accuracy in 3rd person games. Games where you use ranged weapons are best played in 1st person, and (in my opinion) melee-based games are best played in 3rd person (it’s because in 1st person, you don’t have the same perception of your surroundings (180 degree vision) and 3rd person simulates your awareness of your surroundings better even if you get to have an out-of-body experience… but I like seeing my awesome-looking character anyways.)

• @Peacerer:

Chivalry has 3rd person view? :roll:

yes you can do it when you press the “L” key

• Here is the best explanation I can come up with: http://i.imgur.com/ISXcwPD.jpg

If the third person camera is on the left of the player, simply reverse that first image. If the third person camera is directly behind you, then the discrepancy for projectile offset is not left/right, but up/down, which you may notice in third person in Mount and Blade, where first person is more accurate than third person there also. Basically, to mitigate the poor accuracy, use a camera directly behind you, not to the side.

• @ToxicAngel12:

@Peacerer:

Chivalry has 3rd person view? :roll:

yes you can do it when you press the “L” key

RLY!? :o

Somehow i thought P could do it…

• @Martin:

Here is the best explanation I can come up with: http://i.imgur.com/ISXcwPD.jpg

If the third person camera is on the left of the player, simply reverse that first image. If the third person camera is directly behind you, then the discrepancy for projectile offset is not left/right, but up/down, which you may notice in third person in Mount and Blade, where first person is more accurate than third person there also. Basically, to mitigate the poor accuracy, use a camera directly behind you, not to the side.

You derp’d. More like

The fix is literally shifting the crosshair down and to the left by a fixed number of pixels. I’ve already written a simple program that fixes the crosshairs for 3rd person in chivalry.

• you have written a program that fixes it? is it availible for all of us to use it?

though I don’t see that it would be hard to do. leaving it to the mod community may work. but its such a simple thing that’s been complained about since the release of the game. it will make torn banner look bad.

• @Slight:

The fix is literally shifting the crosshair down and to the left by a fixed number of pixels. I’ve already written a simple program that fixes the crosshairs for 3rd person in chivalry.

How did you modify the games crosshair. Does it work in all resolutions?

• I suppose I could throw it up here on the forums under the mod section.

It works the same way my Valiance server mod worked (which implemented ping limits, class limits, motd, and chat ads); injects a dll into the running exe that modifies game code. Yes, lacks creativity, but I really couldn’t see another way of doing it.

Yes it works at all resolutions.

The only issue is that it’s possible, though not likely, that a big update could break it and require me to update it, but other than that it works pretty well.

ATM it only fixes the first 3rd person mode, I could add the other two probably if need be.

Oh another thing. Isn’t that a hack? Can’t I get banned? Yes, its a hack. No, you won’t get banned.

• Answer: Bad camera angles in all views. In Age of chivalry there was no cross hairs and the game was far more interesting and like many, feel that it is still more fun to play and not as frustrating as Chiv.

3rd person was a horrible idea to begin just to sell more copies. It virtually allows cheats like 120 FOV + dev view+ scrolling out so you can see all around you and at a distance. Then on top of it allowed 3rd person by default instead of off by default thus making server admins having to turn it on.

But all in all, very bad camera angles. Even with archers, as you shouldn’t even need the cross hairs if the camera angle was in the right location. But all this is beating a dead horse.

Wait that might be a great objective….
    Beat the head horse…

• @Slight:

It works the same way my Valiance server mod worked (which implemented ping limits, class limits, motd, and chat ads); injects a dll into the running exe that modifies game code. Yes, lacks creativity, but I really couldn’t see another way of doing

Can’t I get banned?

But its client side right. Be interesting to see what the code looks like.

No ban, nobody is going to notice if you changed your reticle, 3rd person has its downsides anyway.

• @Retsnom:

Answer: Bad camera angles in all views. In Age of chivalry there was no cross hairs and the game was far more interesting and like many, feel that it is still more fun to play and not as frustrating as Chiv.

3rd person was a horrible idea to begin just to sell more copies. It virtually allows cheats like 120 FOV + dev view+ scrolling out so you can see all around you and at a distance. Then on top of it allowed 3rd person by default instead of off by default thus making server admins having to turn it on.

But all in all, very bad camera angles. Even with archers, as you shouldn’t even need the cross hairs if the camera angle was in the right location. But all this is beating a dead horse.

Wait that might be a great objective….
    Beat the head horse…

A bit off topic, but you are very right.

True competitive FPS games shouldn’t have this option by default as it’s considered a cheat by the community.

You thought 3rd person was unfair before? Wait till you fix your crosshair position so you can precisely aim your attacks…

@gregcau:

No ban, nobody is going to notice if you changed your reticle, 3rd person has its downsides anyway.

I always get asked this because people still believe VAC is working. Even if VAC was working this still wouldn’t get you banned.

Also, why did you edit my post in your quote to make it seem like I was asking if I could get banned?

• Well if it’s that simple of a fix I see no reason not to put it in the game :) We support third person already so any improvements would be welcome.

• Yes, you are right about the offset being all that’s needed, not sure why I thought the player turned into the Crosshair, that would be odd. I was thinking of gun games.

• @Martin:

Yes, you are right about the offset being all that’s needed, not sure why I thought the player turned into the Crosshair, that would be odd. I was thinking of gun games.

Actually I derped martin, you are correct. I was seeing the screen as an actual plane in the game world when in reality it’s curved due to FOV. This is similar to how the human eye works as well. I figured this out when I was trying to make the 3rd person crosshair work with the archer.

There is only one screen normal that goes directly forward in the direction of the screen and that is in the very center of the screen. Every other screen normal has a slight visual angle although mathematically every screen normal is parallel to each other, which is the part that threw me off.

This also means there is no true way to get an accurate 3rd person crosshair for the archer. The melee crosshair can be fixed near perfectly since all weapons are comparatively short.

• I am pretty sure you are right and I am wrong. I jumped into Battlegrounds with a Warbow, enabled third person and tracers and fired a shot as high as I possibly could. The tracer never crossed the crosshair, it always stayed on the left; it did get closer, but that’s only because it’s further away. Either way, it’s a tricky thing.

• @Martin:

I am pretty sure you are right. I jump into Battlegrounds with a Warbow, enabled third person tracers and fired a shot as high as I possibly could. The tracer never crossed the crosshair, it always stayed on the left; it did get closer, but that’s only because it’s further away.

No sir, it is you who is wrong about not being right! Just as you said, it gets closer or farther from the crosshair depending on the distance the arrow travels.

Think of a cube with it’s front face parallel to your screen’s “plane”. Imagine trying to place a crosshair on one of it’s corners. If the corner was right at the center of your screen, the crosshair would follow the edge that the corner was on perfectly. As the cube moved to the right of the center of your screen, it’s edge would become more diagonal and the crosshair would be increasingly inaccurate if kept on said corner of the front face.

It’s confusing because mathematically they are parallel, ie any normal on a plane is parallel to any normal on a parallel plane. However the renderer simulates the human eye and depth and all the jazz so the screen is given the illusion of being rounded. Like the fish eye effect.

• I released my fix in the custom content section here.