What does everyone think about the wave system?

• I’ve always wondered, i don’t think it’s a bad thing with this game to spawn in waves, since it’s a lot of pushing going on, and you’ll usually start with a group this way.

I’ve always wanted to play the game without waves, have a set time to respawn for everyone that’s the same each time. I would like to see how that goes. Not sayiing the game should change, i am just curious in how the game would change.

• Edit: Misread. Ignore this post. :D

• Without waves in a TO competitive environment, it would look something like this:

• You might respawn earlier than your teammates because you didn’t have to wait as long as you have your own timer; it’s now up to you to decide whether to wait in spawn for teammates or push out by yourself in a last ditch effort to save the objective.

• If you wait in spawn, it’s basically your choice to simulate a respawn wave

• If you push out by yourself, it’s either a risk that pays off, or a risk that doesn’t and gets you gangbanged without causing much damage so now your teammates have a bigger job to do.

Basically, the respawn waves make us wait for each other. Removing that and giving people their own timers allows players to take risks. It’s not something that would benefit casual play I feel, in fact, it would be more a hindrance but it would just add choice to comp play. People in comp play are still likely to wait for teammates though, so it’s not probably something that will change a lot at all really.

• No wave would be terrible as a result - people always run at start of each wave to combat, with individual spawns you’d see a lot of singles running towards their doom, instead of a semi-organized… wave, which is much better at encountering a pack of enemies.

• This was started cos of my post on that other thread wasn’t it. 8-)

I like waves. Its a good feeling running as a group. It also makes battles less tedious and you can get reinforced by a number of allies instead of just one. Or you think your winning against with a friend next to you and only one enemy in front when suddenly 5 more enemies come running round the corner. You suddenly have to think of a way out of this.

With a team that listens you can organise flanking manoeuvres when you all spawn at once too.

• @lemonater47:

This was started cos of my post on that other thread wasn’t it. 8-)

yeah, just cuz you said wave system. I was actually thinking about it yesterday or a few days ago, and i like it the way it is… i’ve just always been curious of how it would be if there was a set time. if a bunch of teammates died at the same time, you would still respawn relatively close together and be able to group up and such… but the wave system is better I guess.

• I would like to see this for competitive play. 1 guy dying half a second later than others can mean you have to wait around for sometimes 10 seconds longer than if he had died 1 second earlier. At the moment it’s more beneficial to just give up when you’re 1v3 in a scrim because you just end up getting a massive spawn timer, and the whole of your team has to wait that.

Individual player spawn timers would allow teams to better organise their attacks and lessen the sometimes extremely annoying and unlucky spawn timers that can effectively halt attacks for 30 seconds.

It would also mean no more lucky defence respawns that can sometimes extend a game for 5 minutes where it would have ended if the defending team had not got a lucky spawn. It will also add the ability to count timers an know when to expect players back on the field, generally adding more strategy.

I would leave it alone for casual purposes, but please give the option of individual timers for competitive games.

• What would be a reasonable set time for individual respawns?

• I don’t think the medieval times where known for their formations. Waves break realism! Make same class formation instead. Raggle fraggle.

Its an on and off thing, you can have a few people spawn and save the objective or you would have to wait and spawn as a group to save the objective as a mass and hope you don’t get slaughtered again. Thus giving them more time to take the objective without hindrance.

This would be bad for some objectives like taking the water gates and killing the peasants because no one would be there to defend them. You would have to hope that they didn’t break all the walls and kill all the peasants by the time you respawn. The water gate also opens pretty fast so this may lead to issue and become a pointless objective. This would also allow the enemy team to burn down everything a lot faster because there is no one to stop them from grabbing torches.

Yes it aids the team because as a group you can defend better but that doesn’t mean everyone will stay together. For people that solo or won’t be a team player, it just makes it worse. It also give an enemy the free pass too complete the objective and sort of aids the attacking side by giving them more push.

Disclaimer: I haven’t really been given full experience of the wave spawn system so my argument is just speculation at best.

• @Yoshiblue:

This would be bad for some objectives like taking the water gates and killing the peasants because no one would be there to defend them. You would have to hope that they didn’t break all the walls and kill all the peasants by the time you respawn. The water gate also opens pretty fast so this may lead to issue and become a pointless objective. This would also allow the enemy team to burn down everything a lot faster because there is no one to stop them from grabbing torches.

That’s why there is F1, which lets you respawn almost instantly at the next objective the moment the previous one was completed.

@gregcau:

[image:1ed0m5os]http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sexy-ass-and-wave.jpg[/image:1ed0m5os]

Thank you for explaining it in layman terms!

• dnt get me started on the respawn times

frankly they should have been editable when the game came out as should have the round times.
    personaly i dnt like the wave system and think its about as dumb as having to be spawned to type to any1 in a server

and risks who doesnt want to take risks, that part of the fun of a game isnt it, exp since we can just respawn when we die, this isnt real life where u have to weigh out all the pros and cons of sumthing

and if the respawn timer was editable like it should b it wouldnt matter if ur gamble paid off or not cause guess what? u can respawn as fast as the server admin wants u too, not the random crap we get now, instant spawn, 3 sec spawn, 8 sec spawn and then the crowd favorite the 14 or 20 sec spawn, just pathetic inconsistency is all i see,wave synced or not

• Max spawn time is 15 seconds.

• im calling bullshit on that as ive had hundreds of spawn times well over 15 secs

• Waves are a good thing, if your attacking and your team is smart enough to stop and wait for everyone you have a very good chance of winning. In the last 5 minutes of a attack I always think damn if people only played like they did at the launch of the game and actually waited for the whole team we could win this. Maybe we need a hold emote? Or “Wait for our brothers!” I wouldn’t normally do it because it is easily over powers most defensive teams, but if we are clearly getting womped on it would be nice to rally the team and give at least one good push to the goal.

If you don’t want to go with the wave just sit still for 5 seconds on spawn and watch where the wave goes and chose a diff route. RAMBO! I avoid waves when half my team is lvl 0-10, yes to avoid tk

• @WARSAW:

im calling bullshit on that as ive had hundreds of spawn times well over 15 secs

If you can take a screenshot of the respawn timer over 15 seconds then I’ll believe you.