Giant Solution List (Need help? Find your solution here!)

• Introduction:

This is a topic that will list multiple solutions to every problem that people are having. I know that there is stickied topics at the top of the Technical Support forum but I wanted to do something that lists everything since I’m here a lot and see a lot of problems. A lot of these answers come from the community, I just added in a few of my own along with them just to have them all in one place. Don’t forget to check out the stickied topics as well.

Also, don’t forget to make sure that your computer hardware meets the minimum requirements for this game. You can go to the website http://www.canIrunit.com to do a test to see how well your computer will play Chivalry and/or other games.

I will try to put these in categories as best as possible. Also, try every solution possible because a solution listed in one category may fix a problem for another. Each person has a different problem which has a different solution so try them all.

Start Up & Game Crash Issues:

Solution 1: Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010 and run the application, you might need to run both. Afterwards go to Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010 and run the “DXSETUP” application.

Solution 2: Right click on Chivalry in Steam library. Go to properties then local files then press verify game files/cache.

Solution 3: If you are getting the D3D9 error. Right click on Chivalry in Steam library. Go to properties then set launch options. Add:

-resx=1920 -resy=1080

Replace the numbers with the resolution size you want. Also, add -windowed if you want to run it in windowed mode. -windowed might work by itself, so try that as well.

Solution 4: Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32 and right click on UDK.exe. Run as administrator.

Solution 5: Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32 and right click on UDK.exe. Go to compatibility tab and under the compatibility header, press “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select Windows XP S3.

Solution 6: Try to reinstall Chivalry.

Solution 7: Restart Steam.

Solution 8: Update your graphic drivers and make sure Direct X is up to date.

Solution 9: Close any programs you have running including firewall, antivirus programs, etc. You only need the game and Steam on. Some software could cause a problem so if this is the case, you can start to slowly run each program one at a time again to see which one causes it. You can find a list of software that causes problems with Steam, here.

Solution 10: If you have a Nvidia video card, go into NVidia control panel and add your game.exe and make it “use NVidia GPU” to resolve this issue. Also try this, go to NVidia control panel and check if game.exe has two instances. If there are two instances, set both to use your specific GPU instead of automatic.

Solution 11: Running SLI or Crossfire could cause problems. Disable one video card and try the game.

Solution 12: Go to My Documents\My Games\ and delete the Chivalry Medieval Warfare folder then verify game files/cache.

Solution 13: Try running the game from the UDK.exe file itself.

Solution 14: This game is only supported by dual core cpu so make sure that if you do have a dual core, that both cores are running.

Server Issues:

Server issues are related to Steam. These are possible solutions that create a work around.

Solution 1: If you are getting high ping, make sure to join a server that has low ping.

Solution 2: Deleting your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\MasterServer2.vdf to force Steam to regenerate it may help.

Solution 3: Make sure you are running the main game and not the beta. You’d be surprised how many people make this error.

Solution 4: Go into Steam. Click on Steam > Settings> Beta participation > Change > Steam Beta Update. Set this to join for the beta. Restart Steam. Run Chivalry Medieval Warfare and go into the Server Browser. Restart the game and try again.

Solution 5: Try Remixx’s wonderful alternate server browser here.

Solution 6: Your router may not be able to handle the sheer quantity of connections that Steamworks is creating to query servers. In Steam, click Steam -> Settings -> Downloads+Cloud. Change the “Game server browser: max pings / minute” setting to something lower.

Solution 7: If you just left a server and now can’t find anymore servers, hit the refresh button. If that does not work, close the game and restart Steam.

Solution 8: View Steam’s guide for Troubleshooting Network problems. Look here.

Solution 9: Restart Steam. I know I’ve mentioned this already but it could be Steam causing problems so it’s always a safe bet to restart it just to make sure.

Solution 10: Create a game with bots, play for a bit then try joining a different server.

Solution 11: Try rerunning the redist in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Redist\UE3Redist.exe

Solution 12: You may have a software firewall, hardware firewall, security software, or some other software or hardware interfering with Steamworks’ ability to list servers. Please try without any firewalls if possible, and if you have your own router try bypassing it and connecting to your ISP’s internet connection directly.

Solution 13: Click Start button and cut and paste this into your run dialog box, “C:\Users%USERNAME%\Documents\my games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame” and hit enter
    ** If the above doesn’t work, try this: “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\my games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame” ** You will see a “Config” folder. Rename it to “Config.old” Start Chivalry and see if the server list is working now.

Solution 14: There is a bug that prevents you to join friends using Steam if you already have the game running. So close the game, find your friend on the list, click join game and it shall load the game and server for you.

Solution 15: On Windows firewall, look for “Allow an app or feature through windows firewall”. Find Chilvary on the list and make sure both private and public check boxes are active. You can also disable windows firewall just to make sure but remember to have it enabled later.

Solution 16: The server itself could need updating so you’ll have to wait for the server owner to update the server.

Solution 17: You may have to open your ports for Steam to properly allow you to connect. You can find the list of ports here.

Input Issues:

These are for keyboard/mouse/controller issues.

Solution 1: Unplug any extra usb devices. Replug in your keyboard and mouse.

Solution 2: Reinstall drivers.

Solution 3: If you’re experience mouse lag, turn in-game mouse smoothing off. Also, if your mouse has the ability in it’s own program/software, turn it off there too.

Solution 4: Disable Enhance Pointer Precision in Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options.

Solution 5: Go to My Documents\My Games\ and delete the Chivalry Medieval Warfare folder then verify game files/cache. (I know I’ve mentioned this before but it can fix a lot of problems. This is also a reminder to try all solutions in each category.)

Solution 6: Turn up your mouse sensitivity.

Solution 7: In the UDKSystemSettings.ini, change the OneFrameThreadLag section from True to False.

Solution 8: If you are using a controller, reinstall drivers, make sure it’s working properly outside of game and check the software.

Solution 9: Make sure that no other software/program is messing with the mouse and/or keyboard.

Graphic/Sound Issues:

Solution 1: Update your graphic drivers.

Solution 2: Turn down graphic settings.

Solution 3: Integrated graphic cards on laptops generally aren’t powerful enough. Make sure that it meets the minimum requirements.

Solution 4: If everything is white, turn dynamic lights and light beams off in your in-game video settings.

Solution 5: If you are experiencing stuttering, open/edit steam/steamapps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/engine/config/baseengine.ini in wordpad and find/search “smoothframe” and set it to “false”.

Solution 6: Change game priory High in Task Manager, Select game, right click, go to process, again right click and set priory to High.

Solution 7: Go into NVidia control panel and add your game.exe and make it “use NVidia GPU” to resolve this issue. And also try this, go to NVidia control panel and check if game.exe has to instances. If there are two instances, set both to use your specific GPU instead of automatic.

Solution 8: Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click “Properties”. Click “Set Launch Options”. Add:

-resx=1920 -resy=1080

Solution 9: Raise your framerate. Go to C:/user/documents/mygames/chivalrymedievalwarfare/udkgame/config/udkengine/ and scroll down to the section called [Engine.Engine] and find bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE “its near the bottom of that section” and make it FALSE.

Solution 10: If you see no blood, make sure that there is blood on in the graphic settings. Also go to this location : Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config and open the UDKSystemSettings.ini then change dynamic decal from false to true.

Solution 11: Make sure that speakers are plugged in.

Solution 12: Make sure sound drivers are up to date. You may need to reinstall the drivers.

Solution 13: You may need to try to reduce sound acceleration by following these steps. Click Start>Run>Type dxdiag>Press Enter> Select the sound tab and Reduce Sound Acceleration.

Solution 14: If you are facing no sound or sound stuttering, start your game with stereo sound.

Solution 15: Turning the Ragdoll slider to low or off will help those that have lower end computers.

Don’t forget to try all the solutions, as a solution for a different category could work for another.

Gameplay Issues:

Solution 1: A few of the achievements are bugged. So for now, don’t worry about getting every single one. Also for achievements that require a certain amount of time or kills, not every server will track them.

Solution 2: If you are leveling up or down really fast or having issues unlocking weapons, it is a glitch. Just restart Steam and it should load up. Also, try joining a different server as well. Playing on servers that are the official ones may cause problems as well, so switch to an official one.

Solution 3: If your username is not working or showing as playername, it is most likely due to an illegal character used. To change your playername, in console (so press ~) and type “setname (insertname)”. Press enter and it should work.

Solution 4: If you are stuck, you can try to kick your way out.If that does not work then press F10 to suicide yourself to get you out of it.

Solution 5: If a key is not binding, try binding it to the secondary input. You can also go to UserSettings.ini and change it there.

Solution 6: Unlocked helmets not appearing. Currently this is a bug but fortunately Team Banner is working on that along with many customization options to come.

Solution 7: The tutorial level has been known to have a few bugs. So if you are experiencing problems, try restarting the game or wait for a future patch to fix it. Just follow along as close as possible without pressing anything you don’t need to press as it may cause a problem.

Solution 8: Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010 and run the “DXSETUP” application.

If nothing listed works:

If any of these solutions do not work for you, make a new topic with the following things

Problem: State what your problem is.

DXDiag: If you do not know how to get your DXDiag, press Start button, type DXDiag in search bar and open up the program it shows. Click run then save results as .txt file and add it to your post.

Launch Log: To find your launch file, go to My Documents then to My Games then to Chivalry then UDKGame then go to Log folder. You’ll find your launch.log file and add it to your post.

As I find more solutions, I will continue to update this as much as possible. As I’ve said, try every solution possible, you’ll never know what could fix it. If you have your own solution, feel free to post it and I’ll add it to the list.

I hope you find the solution to your problems and may I see you on the battlefield!

• Does Torn Banner pay you? Because they should.

• @Gary:

Does Torn Banner pay you? Because they should.

He gets paid with their love.

• I get paid by playing their awesome game and thats all I need.

• This should replace the old solution list.
    Thanks man!

• You really need to mention turning down Ragdoll specifically.
    People don’t understand how important that is for older computers.

• @BillDoor:

You really need to mention turning down Ragdoll specifically.

I added it under Gameplay. Good tip!

• This is awesome Keith! Thanks for doing this :) Saved me a huge headache ;)

Stickied!

• @Kimiko:

This is awesome Keith! Thanks for doing this :) Saved me a huge headache ;)

Stickied!

Aww thanks Kimi. Anything I can do to help!

Plus, it’s Chivalry, you’ll always get a headache somehow. :P

• You really need to mention turning down Ragdoll specifically.

It should be moved to graphics section, as people looking to increase FPS will look under that heading first I would think.

• @Toll:

You really need to mention turning down Ragdoll specifically.

It should be moved to graphics section, as people looking to increase FPS will look under that heading first I would think.

I put it in the gameplay section as it can be something done in game and to help make everything run better as opposed to just graphics but I moved it to graphics. :)

• “Hooray, I’m Helping!”

-Dr Zoidberg.

• How can I see if both cores of my CPU are running? And how can I make both running if one of them is not?

• I got decent 3mb internet. My ping usually runs 23-70 on most servers. The thing is I still get this teleporting choppy type lag. I posted a thread awhile ago but only one person responded complaining of the same issue. I had my dxdiag and everything. I also mentioned how I bought two copies of this game and demand at least some support. This guy went unresponded: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3346

but I think it’s because his is internet related while mine is not.

• Peter: Go to your task manager, if it displays two graphs then both cores are running.

Riceboy: It could be a connection to Steam problem. Try everything in the list.

• hello, I have tried everything…… I don’t know what else to do anymore. I have everything up to date, I have checked my antivirus to see if it was blocking it but it isn’t. I have contacted steam, they gave me a few suggestions and I did everything they told me and nothing. This game used to launch perfectly fine a while back but I had stopped playing for a while. Recently I got in the mood to play again and realized that it wont launch. The farthest it goes is the title banner and then closes. Please , help.

• @Keith:

Peter: Go to your task manager, if it displays two graphs then both cores are running.

Thanks. It shows two graphs but one is for the RAM and not for the CPU. So there’s only one graph for the CPU. Does this mean there’s only one core running?

• @Peter:

@Keith:

Peter: Go to your task manager, if it displays two graphs then both cores are running.

Thanks. It shows two graphs but one is for the RAM and not for the CPU. So there’s only one graph for the CPU. Does this mean there’s only one core running?

There should be two graphs. Try running a program to see the effect.

• @Snickerdood1e5:

hello, I have tried everything…… I don’t know what else to do anymore. I have everything up to date, I have checked my antivirus to see if it was blocking it but it isn’t. I have contacted steam, they gave me a few suggestions and I did everything they told me and nothing. This game used to launch perfectly fine a while back but I had stopped playing for a while. Recently I got in the mood to play again and realized that it wont launch. The farthest it goes is the title banner and then closes. Please , help.

You tried reinstalling Direct X? Try uninstalling video card and reinstalling.

Also try deleting the chivalry folder in your my documents/my games/.

Try reinstalling Steam?

• @Keith:

@Peter:

@Keith:

There should be two graphs. Try running a program to see the effect.

Well it looks like there is only one core running… I’ll try to activate it somehow.

EDIT: Alright I googled how to activate the second core but it doesn’t work. My PC doesn’t seem to detect the second core. I can only choose 1. There isn’t even a 2 I could click… I guess my CPU is damaged :(