[RELEASED] 3rd Person Crosshair Fix

• Update: The 06/25/13 patch has rendered this mod inoperable until updated to work with the patch. Update coming within 1 or 2 days.

As if 3rd person wasn’t easy enough.

This little mod will correct the 3rd person melee crosshair. Unfortunately it’s conceptually impossible to fix the range 3rd person crosshair without using some sort of 3D line which would look silly.

A few screens showing the alignment on all 3rd person modes.

! 3rd Person Camera Right
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ! 3rd Person Camera Above
    !
    !
    !
    ! 3rd Person Camera Left
    !
    !

Installation Instructions

1. Extract zip to desired installation folder

2. Run CMW_3rdPersonFix.exe to create shortcut

3. Use shortcut from then on to run chivalry (or run the above exe, this is just for convenience)

Program requires .NET framework 4, found here if you don’t have it.

This does not modify any files on your harddrive, only in memory.

CMW_3rdPersonFix.exe (the loader) is written in C# while CMW_3rdPFix.dll (the hook) is written in C++.

Some people may want the source code which is not provided. Please understand I’m refraining from releasing the source because it uses my mod framework that could be used for more malicious intents. It would require quite a lot of work to rewrite the dll to not use my framework and to just use raw offsets with relevant class structures and the hook itself and even then that would be sufficient information to do evil with.

I can provide source for the C# loader if someone wants it, but it’s not where the real action is taking place.

Virus total scans:
    CMW_3rdPersonFix.exe (Ignore AntiVir, its well known for false positives and reports any file that uses WriteProcessMemory that isn’t on their exclusive whitelist)
    CMW_3rdPFix.dll

Known Bugs

• Crashes when leaving a single player game

Right now this will probably break when chivalry updates. I’m working on updating my framework so its much more resilient to changes. Until that’s done I’ll just keep updating this as it breaks.

Download

• so i guess i just happen to look into this bug again today to find out you fixed it mostly. so i play in third person all the time even as archer and im just as good as in first person, i have adapted to the crosshair misalignment and can aim my shots just as good as in first person BUT sometimes i mess up and dont aim the crosshair correctly.

can you not just move the crosshair for ranged weapons also? or just move it over alitttle say till the shortbow arrow meets the crosshair from say each side of the hills around the center of the map MOOR? IMO all it really needs is to be adjusted alittle inwards because at a certain range the arrow will align with it.

• Slight, A MILLION THANKS! Works like a charm. Keep up the good work.

• @kjano9900:

so i guess i just happen to look into this bug again today to find out you fixed it mostly. so i play in third person all the time even as archer and im just as good as in first person, i have adapted to the crosshair misalignment and can aim my shots just as good as in first person BUT sometimes i mess up and dont aim the crosshair correctly.

can you not just move the crosshair for ranged weapons also? or just move it over alitttle say till the shortbow arrow meets the crosshair from say each side of the hills around the center of the map MOOR? IMO all it really needs is to be adjusted alittle inwards because at a certain range the arrow will align with it.

I’m pretty impressed you can hit anything at a distance in 3rd person. You’re almost shooting blind with the current crosshair being a weak point of reference.

I’ve considered two ideas so far.

1. Draw a semi-transparent 3D white line that follows your character’s shoot vector. I’m not sure how wieldy this would be. It wouldn’t follow the arrow’s trajectory or anything so it shouldn’t be considered cheating.

2. Allow people to adjust the 2D range crosshair and save it’s position.

I’m not sure what 3rd person view you play in as archer, but I’d think the 2nd mode (overhead camera) would be ideal since you could align crosshair perfectly horizontally.

@Goregasm:

Slight, A MILLION THANKS! Works like a charm. Keep up the good work.

Aye! Thanks.

• @Slight:

@kjano9900:

so i guess i just happen to look into this bug again today to find out you fixed it mostly. so i play in third person all the time even as archer and im just as good as in first person, i have adapted to the crosshair misalignment and can aim my shots just as good as in first person BUT sometimes i mess up and dont aim the crosshair correctly.

I’m pretty impressed you can hit anything at a distance in 3rd person. You’re almost shooting blind with the current crosshair being a weak point of reference.

I’ve considered two ideas so far.

1. Draw a semi-transparent 3D white line that follows your character’s shoot vector. I’m not sure how wieldy this would be. It wouldn’t follow the arrow’s trajectory or anything so it shouldn’t be considered cheating.

I’m not sure what 3rd person view you play in as archer, but I’d think the 2nd mode (overhead camera) would be ideal since you could align crosshair perfectly horizontally.

@Goregasm:

Slight, A MILLION THANKS! Works like a charm. Keep up the good work.

Aye! Thanks.

i actually play in the view where your camera is off to the right and character off to the left. its really not as hard as you might think you memorize the position on the crosshair and distance of the target.

i like the second option alot so i could just find a good spot to leave it in for all bows etc. and i also like the first option as it would help for the really close range shots but those arent that hard as i just align my archers bow to the enemy player.

• Thank you so much for this mod. I’ve been bugging the developers about the third person bug and they would always tell the same story about “not planned” “primarily first person game”.

THANK YOU =)

On a side note: Can you explain a little more what you did to fix the crosshair position (And why will it break on chivalry updates)? And why it is impossible for the ranged crosshair?

• @Langley:

Thank you so much for this mod. I’ve been bugging the developers about the third person bug and they would always tell the same story about “not planned” “primarily first person game”.

THANK YOU =)

On a side note: Can you explain a little more what you did to fix the crosshair position (And why will it break on chivalry updates)? And why it is impossible for the ranged crosshair?

He’s aligned the crosshairs with the melee tracers. In 3rd person when you use a ranged weapon the ranged weapon isn’t aligned with the tracers so its not aligned with the crosshairs. Making it impossible to do both.

• @Langley:

Thank you so much for this mod. I’ve been bugging the developers about the third person bug and they would always tell the same story about “not planned” “primarily first person game”.

THANK YOU =)

Any time ;).

As lemonater said, I simply aligned the crosshair with the tracers of various different weapons. When you switch between third person modes the crosshair updates to a new position that better suits that mode. The crosshair does not change position between weapons, though possible, because it’s not necessary.

If you want to know how I technically accomplished this, I’m a programmer and reverse engineering has become a hobby of mine lately. I had to reverse engineer certain data structures and functions of the UE3 engine and hook onto them with my own code.

@lemonater47:

He’s aligned the crosshairs with the melee tracers. In 3rd person when you use a ranged weapon the ranged weapon isn’t aligned with the tracers so its not aligned with the crosshairs. Making it impossible to do both.

Not exactly. The only place on your screen where the crosshair is 100% visually accurate is at the center. Any other point on your screen starts and that point starts to deviate from where it started on your screen the more you go forward in 3D space. In other words, no one point on your screen, other than the center, depicts a perfectly straight line going forwards.

• @Slight:

can you make a version with option 2 on your list? it would help me alot if i could just move it to the left alittle it would be perfect.

• I don’t want to sound like a grinch but this is not far away from a hack. I wonder where the devs draw the line between a “fix” and a “hack”.

• @afiNity:

I don’t want to sound like a grinch but this is not far away from a hack. I wonder where the devs draw the line between a “fix” and a “hack”.

I don’t think the difference between a “fix” and a “hack” is unclear here. The crosshair should indicate where the weapon tip/arrow is going, but Torn Banner forgot to adjust them for 3rd person.

They currently do not have time (I asked and the Community Manager said it is not a priority because this game is mostly first person) to fix this bug and so it falls to awesome people like Slight to fix 3rd person mode for us.

• I know what it does. The point is that it gives you an advantage over people who don’t use it. In this case it’s not that much of a problem but I wonder what people will “fix” next.

• @afiNity:

I know what it does. The point is that it gives you an advantage over people who don’t use it. In this case it’s not that much of a problem but I wonder what people will “fix” next.

No, it makes you equal to most people (first person users). It does give you an edge over unknowing 3rd person users, yes. But it’s not alot of a difference and it should give Torn Banner even more incentive to finally fix this bug.

I really don’t believe that modification that, for example, show you your enemies exact health or location behind walls etc. would count under the “fix” category.

In my opinion, the line can be drawn like this: “Is it intended by the developers this way?” - If the answer is no, fixes shouldn’t be considered malicous hacks.

• Thats not the point Langley. afiNity means that you can do other things with the framework he has, thats why he doesnt publish the code. Im 100% sure, if vac would actually work in this game, you would get vac banned for this small mod.

• @afiNity:

I know what it does. The point is that it gives you an advantage over people who don’t use it. In this case it’s not that much of a problem but I wonder what people will “fix” next.

A good point and one I’ve considered when I released this. I realize it’s semantics, but this already is a “hack” that “fixes” a bug but it is not a “cheat”. You may argue that it’s unfair because you have to do special effort to fix the bug yourself. However you may also argue that people who seek special information to mod their configs so that they have a performance advantage are unfair. It’s all up to the authorities of course.

@CRUSHED:

Thats not the point Langley. afiNity means that you can do other things with the framework he has, thats why he doesnt publish the code. Im 100% sure, if vac would actually work in this game, you would get vac banned for this small mod.

I understand this thinking however I can assure you that even with VAC enabled this mod would not get you banned unless 1) torn banner configured it to ban for this hack specifically or 2) someone anonymously uploaded it to steam and there was sufficient evidence on the web that this was a cheat (obviously seeing it on the offical forums would be evidence that it is safe). For option 2 I’m pretty sure steam contacts the game creators as well to ensure that they agree with the decision, but this detail I am not %100 on though its happened in the past.

I understand how VAC scans for and detects cheats. Simply injecting a dll into the game will not you banned. If they banned for this then Fraps, Skype, MSI afterburner, and similar programs would all get you banned. No they don’t use a whitelist, because they want to be %100 sure you were cheating beyond any doubt and they don’t ever ban off flimsy heuristics like the aforementioned. The only heuristics they use is when certain data structures in the game and functions are marked off-limits for modification and the regions are usually very specific and obvious targets for cheats.

• i had no clue he 3rd person crosshairs were off. thanks for the info, ima off to test myself and understand how the crosshairs are wrong - even if i ont use your mod (although i might, depends on how far off the crosshairs are!).

• Hey Slight, just curious…with the CU2 patch coming out today(or this week sometime) about how long do you think it would be until you get an updated ‘3rd Person Crosshair Fix’ released?Of course, that is only if the new patch disables your fix. Thanks again for the awesome modification!

• @Goregasm:

Hey Slight, just curious…with the CU2 patch coming out today(or this week sometime) about how long do you think it would be until you get an updated ‘3rd Person Crosshair Fix’ released?Of course, that is only if the new patch disables your fix. Thanks again for the awesome modification!

One to two days as I do not have access to most of my files atm.

I’m thinking about incorporating a simple update system into the mod so it will notify you when a new update is available or if the current version works with the current patch.

• @Slight:

One to two days as I do not have access to most of my files atm.

I’m thinking about incorporating a simple update system into the mod so it will notify you when a new update is available or if the current version works with the current patch.

Great! I’ll be looking forward to it and I think an update system would be a nice touch. I’ve been advertising for you when discussion about 3rd person comes up in-game, with a lot of people disagreeing that 3rd person is “cheating” I honestly think they’re just full of it(SWITCH TO 3rd!). Either way, I have a really good time in 3rd person and this mod really helps me…I’m not really sure how many of us there are, but I know there are a few of us who really appreciate the hard work you put into this mod. Hope to see the update soon. Thanks!

• Slight, we need you!