[TEAM] Basic team tactics to diminish the threat of feints

• I will list some tactics that Faucheur uses to work as a team to overcome most skirmishes. These specific tactics are a common safe tactic that can be used in most situations; these ones will effectively diminish most of the threat of enemy feinters.

More strategies will come eventually, I just wanted to get this one out to help my argument about why feints are (mostly) fine in their current form. Remember that this is just ONE strategy so far.

Obviously, like any strategy, there are counters to this strategy. Many strats are being used and switched off of on the fly. The challenge is getting multiple players to switch to multiple mentalities at the same time in order to coordinate correctly.

Pics soon?

Basic Openings

Basic Initiator 1

This will always put the enemy on the defensive first and not allow the enemy to feint the first attack.

This will force the enemy to riposte, or double parry. Ripostes cannot be feinted and can properly be reacted to. Be careful of the enemy switching to player 2 during the riposte.

Enemy 2’s follow-up can possibly be a feint. Player 2 is free to switch targets as well to cover player 1, and vice versa.

Remember, these are openers. Just like in any strategy, the mid-game is varies depending on the situation. The opener, mid-game, and end-game, of course are happening in a relatively short amount of time (within seconds).

–----------

X>1 vs. 1 Scenarios

Situation 1- A

Player 2 is not in a position to have initiative. If he attacks he will either get interrupted or force a hit trade.

Player 1 is in a position to attack Enemy 1 from the side or back, depending on the positioning. Player 1 will punish Enemy 1 for combo feinting upon target switch.

–--------

Situation 1 - B

Player 2 is in a position where he has initiative. If he attacks, he will interrupt Enemy 1’s combo attack.

Enemy 1 is forced to play defensive the entire skirmish, as the initiative swaps between Player 1 and Player 2.

–-----------------------

The initiative is very important to open up with and maintain throughout the encounter. Never be forced into a position where you are strictly on the defensive.

• Exactly. As I’ve stated too many times today, feinting is most advantageous for the person attacking first. Therefore be the person/team attacking first.

Also keep in mind that it only takes about 100ms at the right time to turn the initiative around.

The above strat should pretty much punish anyone who uses a feint, if both team players are attacking at the correct times, if an enemy attempts a feint, they will get hit. It takes practice and good timing from both parties, but is a very rewarding experience.

• Updated after responding to a post from SlyGoat.

2 vs 1 situations.

• The number one counter to feints is to be aggressive. If you’re up against a player and you know they feint a lot, just start throwing out attacks - and a feint or two yourself. Also, use footwork to stay out of reach from your enemy. Feints are easy as shit to avoid if you’re borderline out of range on your opponent.

• @Event:

The number one counter to feints is to be aggressive. If you’re up against a player and you know they feint a lot, just start throwing out attacks - and a feint or two yourself. Also, use footwork to stay out of reach from your enemy. Feints are easy as shit to avoid if you’re borderline out of range on your opponent.

Even if you don’t know they feint a lot, refer to the basic 2v2 situation. There is absolutely no risk in throwing out the first attack, assuming you have the range advantage.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Event:

The number one counter to feints is to be aggressive. If you’re up against a player and you know they feint a lot, just start throwing out attacks - and a feint or two yourself. Also, use footwork to stay out of reach from your enemy. Feints are easy as shit to avoid if you’re borderline out of range on your opponent.

Even if you don’t know they feint a lot, refer to the basic 2v2 situation. There is absolutely no risk in throwing out the first attack, assuming you have the range advantage.

Yeah I should have also stated that, although it was sort of implied in the being aggressive part heh :lol:

In fact, my strategy is usually to start my first attack out of range to bait them in for a counter while I’m backstepping (sprinting in then suddenly moving backwards), then get them with a combo attack. Then I just keep moving around my enemy throwing attacks and combos, trying to get them to run into one. If they are parrying a lot of my attacks, I use a feint or two.

• Another general category that you can lump A LOT of players in that feint is this:

1. If they riposte, block the attack, because it cannot be feinted.

2. If they don’t riposte, expect a feint, and attack instead of parrying.

This is usually the mid-level mindset when it comes to feints.

• Feints are much more of a mind game than people give them credit for.

• They are the heavily in the realm of the mind.

I said this to someone in FFA recently. At first he attacked strongly, used feints well and I had to take note of him as dangerous. After a few bouts where I took the advantage ASAP he behaviour changed dramatically. I used feints to beat him, as he also used them. He stopped playing aggresivly whenever he saw me, he hesitated with a lot of his movements. After a swift killing I said to him:

“You fear me”
    His reply: “I do!”
    “I can smell it over the internet”
    Than the server laughed, and we had a good time.

The point of my rant is this:I defeated his mind. I turned him from being aggressive and dangerous to my play thing. My use of feints was a big impact on this, people are afraid of them. They are afraid of the threat of them. The moment you are afraid of the feint, that is the moment you are defeated.

Don’t look at feints as something to be feared, see them as the opportunities they are. If you know someone is going to use feint a lot from previous battles, then there is no reason for you to wait for their attack. Hit them repeatedly in the head until you beat the feints out of them.

• -Mod Note-
    I’ve given this topic a bit of a prune to remove some irrelevant posts.
    Please keep tutorial threads on-topic, and free of balance discussions etc.
    Posts in this section should be purely around evolving the specific ideas and strategies presented in the OP to the betterment of all players, not to counter (or start) debates or drift off topic.

Carry on.

• Bumping.

These tactics are still viable after patch.

• Always good to have shield. Shield = feint bane if used correctly. Especially with the new kick system, a good shield knight with proper reactions can see a kick coming from a mile away and actually punish them for attempting that kick by poking the opponent :)