Is there enough interest/support to form a competitive leagu

• I understand that there is a current 8vs8 tourney running, however I have not been able to locate anything on a more permanent basis. (For those of you who are familiar with league play, I’m talking about something like TWL or Clanwars that runs on a monthly basis.)

Is there enough interest in the community to form a league?

I’ve ran a league before for Halo PC with over 1000 players and 100 teams in it and I think Chivalry would be a perfect fit for something like that. I still have access to the software/website to launch a new league.

• Hell… there’s plenty more players in this game than in Bloodline Champions now.

And Bloodline has a fully operational matchmaking system.

I’m definitely interested.

• There was an ESL ladder at one point for EU, but no one ever played in it. If it’s done then matches need to be fully organised and scheduled, along with a good reason to actually play.

I think people care about knockout tournaments more because they progress through the tree, and try and get as far as possible without getting knocked out. It’s exciting and tense. You have to find a way to bring that to a league or ladder, or we might as well just keep playing practice scrims and keeping a rough mental score like I’m sure many of us do already.

• Yes, the ESL section failed because no one was actually interested. I’m not sure if the competitive community of this game will ever be big enough for an active league…

• The league would be structured in a way that matches could be played at any time. Any clan could challenge any other clan and play at any time. The losing clan would report the match on the web portal and based on the clans current rankings and the size of the match, points would be awarded. This has worked in the past because its hard to schedule matches in advance.

• That’s exactly how it worked in the ESL. And do you know how many clans played in that ladder? 3.

• @afiNity:

That’s exactly how it worked in the ESL. And do you know how many clans played in that ladder? 3.

Damn. Thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware of that. Any other ideas?

• Pretty sure you have to force a deadline and organise matches for the players. The ladder format would have us doing the exact same thing as we do now, only with the added effort of getting screenshots and uploading match reports for ranking points that will be pretty much pointless.

If you set up a round-robin league with match orders specified by you (not the teams) then it might work better. That way the team only has to organise a time with the other team, and there will be a winner at the end of the league.

I would suggest separate leagues for US and EU if you want to do both. It’s not fun for either team playing competitively with a 150 ping difference.

• I like the idea of a user-run league, I’ve always liked it.

Take a look at ETF2L which is the major European league for Team Fortress 2, they force deadlines onto the teams so that they have to organize and play…this’d be much better than asking everyone for scrims on a nightly basis hoping one of them says yes.

• in answer to the question in your topic: no. there just isn’t enough competition to make a league viable (in EU anyway).

The IO tournament a month or 2 ago was a big success though (well perhaps not for templar, unfortunately) and I really hope we see something like this again. Like Nabster says, knock-out tournaments are more appealing than a league and generate more interest because they are a bit more engaging and yield immediate results. I think cups are the way forward rather than leagues.

• Heu, if you can set up it up do it!! Ive been waiting for this for a long time. NA can handle it as we have about 6 active clans.

• @Shack:

A competitive league would be amazing, and I’d more than certainly enter,
    The question is, would you have weekly/monthly/annual tree tournaments, or would you have an organized seasonal ladder rank like MLG does?

The former would be more fun, but the latter would be oh-so more convenient, and would attract many more competitive players seeing as you’d be able to enter in a 1v1 ladder, a 2v2 ladder, and so-forth.

I would much like to see a 2v2 or 3v3 ladder due to it being much easier to get 1 or 2 friends. Much easier for anyone to be a part of the scene rather than just your typical clan players.

• I’d play in a 5v5/6v6 league for sure. Anything larger than that is hard to practice for.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I would much like to see a 2v2 or 3v3 ladder due to it being much easier to get 1 or 2 friends. Much easier for anyone to be a part of the scene rather than just your typical clan players.

This.

• You people forget that all this was already tried and that it failed and the competitive community is even smaller since then. Personally I’m not going to sacrifice one more second of my life to build a league or anything for this game until something major things are changing (which I doubt will happen). This game would need way more competitive clans/players to build a successful league.

• @afiNity:

You people forget that all this was already tried and that it failed and the competitive community is even smaller since then. Personally I’m not going to sacrifice one more second of my life to build a league or anything for this game until something major things are changing (which I doubt will happen). This game would need way more competitive clans/players to build a successful league.

SDK would definitely help that. More automation for stat tracking and competitive map systems could definitely be made. Less work for the players = higher desire to get into a scene.

• There was a dark age gaming league a while back, but warbawz went under and disappeared. We still have all the NA competitive rules and their is an 8v8 tourny coming up in a week or so. (With prize money! Half donated by Torn Banner) Lately its just clans asking other clans to scrim so i hope this tournament takes off.

• The league is in the works!

I have a fully automated ladder/point system already in place with a database that can track clan and player statistics.

I’m looking for some feedback from the clan/competitive community on how to structure this.

The league could operate in a scheduled ladder format, or with clans challenging other clans for any type of match at any time. OR a combination of both.

I’m looking to chat with a few of the clan leaders on how to best serve the community, in addition im looking for admins.

Please hit me up on steam… kickman86

• I would definitely make some matches scheduled. Force teams to play each other within a certain time frame. Don’t leave it up to teams to organise it themselves, though I see no reason why a challenge system can’t also be in place.

A pure challenge system was what was used in the ESL ladder and it didn’t work at all. Teams scrimmed the same teams or easy teams for points. You’ve got to make it so teams play all other teams on a regular basis.