FOV

• I think the FOV needs some sort of universal feel to it. For now, changes in FOV result in you having to entirely adjust your playstyle. Not only does it change the way ranges seem, but it completely screws up animations in some aspects, and also in certain FOV’s, there seems to be some weird fisheye lens type thing going where weapons grown and shrink as well as player models depending on how close they get.

I think FOV should change your view like how much you can see, but all the FOV’s need to be playable in the same way. I notice with higher fov’s, the range judgement isn’t that great, some longer weapons like zweihander will seemingly hit you with an almost translucent part of their weapon (the very tip)… and i’ve seen some weird looking crap in other FOV’s. I know it’s personal preference and to do whats most comfortable for you, but … i feel like the change needs to affect like… 1 thing… your view… and not change entirely the way you play.

• 110 seems to get you a lot less distortion, minimal clipping weirdness and really good range of view. I’m not sure if it’s more or less fish-eyed because I have been playing with it for so long.

I’m not really sure that FOV can be maxed out without giving you a weird fish-eye view without having a weird monitor size or black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. I could be wrong though.

• Unfortunately this is just the way FOV works. You can’t really stop distortion because that’s what gives you the increased vision, and that’s why ranges seem different.

• i’m pretty happy with the FOV i use now, i guess i’m just used to it. Sometimes i watch other peoples youtube videos… i see what they’re playing with and i’m like wtf!?

My one buddy’s damn chat goes across the entire screen lol, and then when someone pokes its like watching a 3d movie… it’s like it starts at range, and then it’s like HOOOOOOLY SHIT ITS IN MY FACE ITS IN MY FACE GET IT OUT GET IT OUT!!!

• It´s best to just pick a FOV number and stick with it, never change it. I put mine on 100 FOV and I pubstomp all the time…

• @clayton-bigsby:

i’m pretty happy with the FOV i use now, i guess i’m just used to it. Sometimes i watch other peoples youtube videos… i see what they’re playing with and i’m like wtf!?

My one buddy’s damn chat goes across the entire screen lol, and then when someone pokes its like watching a 3d movie… it’s like it starts at range, and then it’s like HOOOOOOLY SHIT ITS IN MY FACE ITS IN MY FACE GET IT OUT GET IT OUT!!!

Yeah see that whole stereoscopic fish-eye suppression thing does seem to go against the whole motion-sickness argument for having adjustable FOV in the first place.

I find it hard to believe people are actually genuinely more “comfortable” like that.

• This is a combination of field of view and aspect ratio. I find the game looks perfectly fine at 110 FoV and a 16:9 resolution, but at a 4:3 resolution it looks very bad. There isn’t much we can do about this, but 4:3 is becoming increasingly rare anyway.

• I run with 110 normally on a 16:9 @ 720p. I’ve seen some people using 130, so tried it being the curious person I am and… oh wow, it is completely different. I can see how it would be beneficial, but having to relearn the weapon ranges/ distances really threw me off! In other games like BF3 for instance I usually run 75 but in Chiv you just need it to be around 110 imo to be able to see incoming rabbits (MAA’s)!

• @funthomass:

It´s best to just pick a FOV number and stick with it, never change it. I put mine on 100 FOV and I pubstomp all the time…

damn… you a real gangsta

• Yeah, there’s nothing that can really be done about distortion. It’s just the nature of the mathematics here.

I don’t like heavy distortion, but I am pretty comfortable with 110 degrees @ 16:9

• @Teocyn:

I’ve seen some people using 130, so tried it being the curious person I am and… oh wow, it is completely different.

You mean 120 right?
    Or else: teach me how to increase my FOV above the limit :Q
    Is it allowed?

• FOV F command.

Where F is the FOV you want.

250 FOV like a boss.

• Thank you very much!
    @lemonater47:

250 FOV like a boss.

But you mean 150 right?
    250 still isn’t possible with the projection method used in Chivalry. It’s very possible with stereographic projection though…

• Too much FOV and you will see upside down :D

I started playing at 100 then pushed it to 105 and now I use 110.
    I won’t go higher as I don’t like the fisheye effect.

• @Babar:

Too much FOV and you will see upside down :D

I started playing at 100 then pushed it to 105 and now I use 110.
    I won’t go higher as I don’t like the fisheye effect.

What “fisheye effect”?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

It’s a rectilinear projection and no matter what FOV it will still be rectilinear.
    If it was fisheye then straight lines would bend.

Just put your face qloser to the screen and everything looks normal ;)

• lol well it’s LIKE fisheye in that when attacks come at you, it’s a little harder to judge ranges because of how the weapon looks. It kind of grows at the end of the attacks, just takes a little getting used to as i play in 120.

This was a stupid post. It should just be gone.

• I don’t think its a stupid post.
    I use 83 FOV with my 16:9 ratio. I lose the peripheral vision, but i can hear whats about and intuitively know where my target is when they move out of view so i don’t need to see them all the time.

• @Qon:

Thank you very much!
    @lemonater47:

250 FOV like a boss.

But you mean 150 right?
    250 still isn’t possible with the projection method used in Chivalry. It’s very possible with stereographic projection though…

Once it goes past 180 FOV things start going upside down. Go past 360 and it goes back to normal.

Each time you die it sorta goes back around to right way by zooming all the way in and then out again. Set it to 1000 or something an it does this rotating thing so many times.

So 250 FOV is like playing at 70 FOV. But upside down.

• I was playing 3rd person on 150/ 130 FOV the other day. I almost felt guilty how it easy it was running around in circles with a Messer/ Longsword.

It wasn’t a stupid post Clayton! I love experimenting with FOV and different things… granted it takes a while to adjust to weapon ranges, especially when I jumped from 110 to 140 for a few hours, but one thing is for sure. I LOVE the feel of the Knight on 130 FOV. It feels so much faster and agile than it does at 110 or lower where you feel like a clunky mass.

Maybe I should just play vanguard.

• that’s basically why i like 120 fov. The ranges are a bit harder to judge at times (i’m used to it) but running around and stuff just feels MUCH faster. I remember after a patch one time i thought they slowed the night down because my fov went back to default in config. I thought i checked my settings and they were good, but apparenly my fov wasn’t. Retard moment.