A massive archery bug !

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphiYZ9glQM

Thanks to Wild for showing this!

• Framerate affecting projectile velocity?

How does that even work? What kind of weird coding is there that would make such a strange thing possible?

• @Dibbz:

Framerate affecting projectile velocity?

How does that even work? What kind of weird coding is there that would make such a strange thing possible?

I’m assuming its because the angle change or drop is calculated per frame. Less frames per second means less drop per second. Wouldn’t be a problem if the arrow path was calculated by the server, but in Chiv everything is client side. Hopefully will make the drop calculations based on actual time between frames rather than assuming 60 fps.

This is a massive bug though, and will probably affect a lot of archers if/when it is fixed.

• :hopel:

• @SlyGoat:

:hopel:

I guess this is going to be a lot of mind-numbing work for Sly? :D

• Wow.

• All archers confirmed as users of witchcraft, proceed with burning
    [image:c8x65h0v]http://i.imgur.com/j05atjM.png[/image:c8x65h0v]

• If all archers had busts like that I might not hate them so much.

• Yep, the ‘median’ point for the drop is 62 frames per second, which is what it defaults to in your config(s).

I’ve done some extensive testing with this bug, and found out that you indeed can hit people with your fucked up arrow drop…when I used 120 fps and shot at a friend, on his screen the arrow traveled a large distance above his head (because the arrow drop is calculated client side, meaning he saw everything with ‘his trajectories’) then hit him after a short delay (it travels higher because I had to aim higher due to the increased drop, the arrow also travels slower and thus hits him after the arrow has already gone above and passed him on his screen).

It’s due to this that any Archer with a fluctuating fps suffers greatly from inconsistency with their arrow drop constantly changing.

• So FPS 5, heavy crossbow and I can kill Malric from the objective 1 spawn?

• @Planetus:

Yep, the ‘median’ point for the drop is 62 frames per second, which is what it defaults to in your config(s).

I’ve done some extensive testing with this bug, and found out that you indeed can hit people with your fucked up arrow drop…when I used 120 fps and shot at a friend, on his screen the arrow traveled a large distance above his head (because the arrow drop is calculated client side, meaning he saw everything with ‘his trajectories’) then hit him after a short delay (it travels higher because I had to aim higher due to the increased drop, the arrow also travels slower and thus hits him after the arrow has already gone above and passed him on his screen).

It’s due to this that any Archer with a fluctuating fps suffers greatly from inconsistency with their arrow drop constantly changing.

God I have always wondered why that happened. Throwing axes and arrows going like 15 feet over my head and I get hurt.

• @gregcau:

So FPS 5, heavy crossbow and I can kill Malric from the objective 1 spawn?

That’s the part that makes me cry, it works on all projectiles (bolts, javs, throwing axes, throwing knives etc).

• Temporary global removal of archers? Yes please. :D

Edit: I’m pretty sure I have seen guys abusing this already today. Shame on you!

• This must be a hotfix. There shouldn’t even be a discussion by TBS about it. This should be patched tomorrow by 5 PM.
    Seriously.

• @SlyGoat:

CU1 Patch 1.5b hotfix
    -Archer class temporarily disabled while we seek a fix for an exploit.

@SlyGoat:

CU1 Patch 1.6
    -Thanks to overwhelming feedback and testing we’ve decided to leave the Archer class disabled for the foreseeable future.
    -The “Rogue” backstab ability has been given to the dagger weapon class, as it should have been from the start.

@SlyGoat:

CU1 Patch 1.7
    -The archer model is now an unlockable skin for the Man At Arms class. Gain access to this skin by getting at least 50 kills with each of the secondary weapons. Alternate Vanguard and Knight skins are in the works and should be ready within a month.
    -Plans for Archer class re-implementation have been scrapped, after stats showed the active player count and sales since the archer-removal update have almost doubled. In-game voluntary polls have showed that 95% of the community are having more fun playing Chivalry since the ranged menace was removed.

I can dream can’t I?

• CU1 Patch 1.7b hotfix
    -Due to lack of sales, archer has been re-added with flaming arrows, guns and handgrenades. We’ll be having free weekends all month to try and bring in enough income to maintain the official servers while we move the office into Kimi’s basement. But the good news is we’ve started fundraising for Chivalry 2!

My keyboard now has a key bound to toggle my FPS. Just throwing that out there.

• @SlyGoat:

CU1 Patch 1.8
    -Archers now have access to killstreak rewards. Rewards include
    an eagle familiar that gives the archer the location of all enemies,
    a remotely controlled explosive arrow that drops from the sky,
    a placeable rapid-fire ballista that shields the user,
    a care package the drops an ammo crate that has no cooldown time,
    a dragon that swoops down from the heavens and incinerates the enemy army,
    and the same dragon, but this time rideable (you can fire arrows from its back)
    for 1/2/3/4/5/6 kill streaks, respectively

• I shall start playing as an archer at once. They will fear my power.

• @Josh:

All archers confirmed as users of witchcraft, proceed with burning
    [image:19nqml33]http://i.imgur.com/j05atjM.png[/image:19nqml33]

LOLOLOL BEST POST EVA ! :D

• I’m not surprised - yet surprisingly disappointed - that this wasn’t hotfixed today.

Oh well … Guess I’ll just use my macro key all weekend.