Support the competitive scene!

• Information for the upcoming 8v8 TO tournament is here, but the important part is that bit in my sig that mentions the prize pool.

To have any hope of attracting some kind of attention to the tournament to hopefully grow the player base and awareness for the game, we need a good prize pool, so Torn Banner has stated they will match whatever number we can come up with for the prize, thereby doubling it!

So please show your support for the competitive Chivalry scene by either contributing or by checking out the streams/VODs, participating, or just promoting it!

• And you don’t have to be in a clan to join!

Del is making a crew of high level pub players of his own. So get cracking, join the tournament, gather your friends or form an alliance of friends.

• Lol what you’re just asking people to randomly donate money to a tournament? Not as like, an entry fee or anything, but, but why?

For the sake of other people being able to win it?

With the money raised so far, six to twelve African children could be saved the pain of starvation for an entire /year/

Do I think spending money on this tournament is equivalent to killing between six to twelve african children? Not personally, but some people would say there is a moral equivalence.

• @JCash:

Lol what you’re just asking people to randomly donate money to a tournament? Not as like, an entry fee or anything, but, but why?

For the sake of other people being able to win it?

With the money raised so far, six to twelve African children could be saved the pain of starvation for an entire /year/

Do I think spending money on this tournament is equivalent to killing between six to twelve african children? Not personally, but some people would say there is a moral equivalence.

That’s the first time I’ve seen you say something funny in a long time JCash.

• If those African children want the money so badly then they should get a team sorted out and join the tournament.

It would be like one of those movies where the underdogs rise up against the cold-hearted clanners.

• Might be able to throw something at it, although I think offering lower tiers to start like $5-$10 options would have been better, on its own it isn’t much but you’d get a lot more people willing to fork over something smaller like that, which adds up. ;)

Regardless, it looks like we’ll probably reach at least 400, and then TBS matches that, so an $800 prize pool. $100 per player in the winning team, definitely not bad. :)

• While I am broke, I can certainly craft some interesting ‘prize’ image for the winner and runner ups that they can print if they want.

• @The:

Might be able to throw something at it, although I think offering lower tiers to start like $5-$10 options would have been better, on its own it isn’t much but you’d get a lot more people willing to fork over something smaller like that, which adds up. ;)

Regardless, it looks like we’ll probably reach at least 400, and then TBS matches that, so an $800 prize pool. $100 per player in the winning team, definitely not bad. :)

Well you can throw in whatever you want, it’s just that “perks” start at 25$

@User:

While I am broke, I can certainly craft some interesting ‘prize’ image for the winner and runner ups that they can print if they want.

Cool =]

• Yeah I saw that, I put in $8. $17 shy of being accredited for my contribution. 8-)

• Actually I’d like the competetive scene to die completely.

The most problems in this game are produced by people who exploit certain game mechanics to limits (and they call themselves pro, like there is any skill in this). What developers are trying to fix is the result of “pro-players” using everything them can to be “competitive”. The moment some clan or competetive guy joins a server I know he’ll be exploiting and game will turn into who’s the best exploiter. Not so fun to watch or play.

So tell me, why should a standard player support something like that?

• @Holy.Death:

Actually I’d like the competetive scene to die completely.

The most problems in this game are produced by people who exploit certain game mechanics to limits (and they call themselves pro, like there is any skill in this). What developers are trying to fix is the result of “pro-players” using everything them can to be “competitive”. The moment some clan or competetive guy joins a server I know he’ll be exploiting and game will turn into who’s the best exploiter. Not so fun to watch or play.

So tell me, why should a standard player support something like that?

All you need on pubs is stab/look down overhead combo, and block about 90% of attacks sent your way coupled with quick attacks off the block. That’s all you need to do to go 15+ kills with under 4 deaths in a pub LTS. Not sure what exploits are needed to own a game, but I think you have a warped view on how majority of people actually play. I’d say practice some more.

Clans are a way for people to challenge themselves, since it allows good people to play against good people. As good as a game as chivalry is, once you are able to carry a pub team effortlessly, it does start to become boring after 500+ hours of play. So clan scrims/tourneys is where the game completely changes, and really starts to test your resolve.

• Let’s keep this on-topic.

• All you need on pubs is stab/look down overhead combo, and block about 90% of attacks sent your way coupled with quick attacks off the block. That’s all you need to do to go 15+ kills with under 4 deaths in a pub LTS.

…which is pretty much what I am saying. There is no skill in all this, just more knowledge and practice in exploting the in-game mechanics to its fullest extent. What’s interesting in something like that (which is my original question once again)? Why support exploiters who are good because they are better at exploitng than other people who don’t know about exploiting or down want to exploit?

Not sure what exploits are needed to own a game, but I think you have a warped view on how majority of people actually play. I’d say practice some more.

You have no idea how I play and I have to ask to keep personal arguments out of this discussion.

Clans are a way for people to challenge themselves, since it allows good people to play against good people.

“Good” is a matter of perspective.

Maybe that’s a way to find more evenly matched players (in terms of exploiting, because - sadly - all comes down to this), nothing more. I find term “competitive” sounding more like “underhanded”. You don’t necessarily cheat, it’s more like bending the rules and unless you bend them too you find yourself less efficient, less competitive which in turn encourages bending rules by yourself. You can find that fun, sure, but is it really?

I played against Radiant and I saw what I’d have to become to be “competitive” and I don’t really want to. I don’t think this is the correct course and that’s why I think competetive people aren’t good enough for balancing purposes. They might have knowledge and practice, but they are also playing the game, they have their presonal tastes and preferences, so they’re unobjective and don’t really work for making the game better. Of course, they want it to become better, but that’s their version of better, which might not sit well for common players, like myself.

All this still leads to the same question - why should people like me support people who consider other players noobs who have to learn the game (“practice some more” is just more gentler version of the same)? Like there is the only one True Path of Playing this game and anyone else who’s doubting this is just some lesser being…

• Your odd views about what is an exploit aren’t really relevant to the topic. If you don’t want to contribute to a larger prize pool to garner attention and interest for the tournament, don’t support it.

Keep your personal agenda/vendetta out of here, thanks.

• Your odd views about what is an exploit aren’t really relevant to the topic.

Actually they are, since we are asked - as general playerbase - to “support the competitive scene”. It doesn’t explain however, how this is serving the interests of the players who aren’t competetive. I cannot help but notice you have failed to answer my question. Perhaps that’s because there is no answer good enough to respond directly to said question.

Basically you ask to support the small group of people. The same group which is breaking the gaming experience of pubbers anytime they join any public server. You might see this as a some kind of learning curve, but given how mechanics are working this is simply infuriating newcomers and people who are simply not fond of exploiting. In such light such request makes absolutely no sense and sounds like an insult to intelect. Why keep around people who’re breaking the game? I understand people who share the argument of “competitiveness”, but anyone else?

If you don’t want to contribute to a larger prize pool to garner attention and interest for the tournament, don’t support it.

Keep your personal agenda/vendetta out of here, thanks.

I thought this is a public forum where people can share their thoughts, not someone’s personal topic where the only thing one can say is pledging full support to someone’s cause. Was I wrong? I understand my posts aren’t what you hoped for or wanted to see, but this makes them no less on-topic nor less valid.

• If I recall when I played with you, I wasn’t using any cheesy tactics. Everything I used against you, is fairly easy to defend against for a decent player. Yes, someone new to the game, or even someone with 40-50 hours, will have issues dealing with it… but that is just the natural skill increase you’d expect in a skill based game.

I have no issue with improving animations, tightening up the polish of the game so people understand why they get hit, but at the end of the day even if you do that, someone with 500 + hours (sometimes over double that) will annihilate players with only 50 hours or so effortlessly. There’s just no way around that unless you mean to lower the skill ceiling, and that wouldn’t be very good for the longevity of the game. It would casualize the game.

I’m not a hardcore competitive player by any stretch of the imagination. It makes me too stressed and frustrated to try and push myself all the time, although just by playing my normal way (lots of duels) my skill does improve anyways. Being chastised because of that is silly.

Is a clan going into a public server with a bunch of rank 10s and 20s and joining the same team to totally stomp them in the dirt good for the game? Probably not, but that rarely happens anyways because as said before, there’s no challenge in public games most of the time.

The exception is when you join a public game and notice 1-2 good players on the enemy team, and know you’ll actually have a challenge from them. Anyone can get to that level with time. Lowering that ceiling so new players can get there faster isn’t very fair to those of us who’ve dedicated a lot of time since it came out, or even before in beta.

• Lowering that ceiling so new players can get there faster isn’t very fair to those of us who’ve dedicated a lot of time since it came out, or even before in beta.

You didn’t understand me. I don’t ask to “lower the ceiling”.

I simply want exploits gone, along with people who use them. More readiable animations, fixes to face-hugging, etc. will help the game as people will see why they are being hit. I killed an archer who used a buckler, he simply blocked and my attack went through it (he wasn’t blocking side far enough and we know how excellent buckler’s shieldwall is) and was really suprised, so I explained to him how things work. It’s not just me who feel things as are now aren’t helping the game. Developers themselves are fixing various issues, so I think they realize how ridiculous some aspects are. What competitive players do? Defend dragging, etc. I even saw a topic about it. I understand they got used to it and advantages coming along with dragging and they’d have to alter their playstyle, but it says something in itself: that competitive gaming ain’t going hand-to-hand with general playerbase. Maybe there are people who like to watch how other people are playing, but are they going to keep the game alive if standard users won’t like what they consider “a bugged game”?

I know I hold no value as myself, but I am part of larger playerbase (although I speak solely for myself here) and I simply try to express my doubts in some fields.

• The game in it’s current state is simply not a competitive game.

The size of the competitive community supports this.

The amount of interest the pub scene has in the competitive scene supports this.

• @Holy.Death:

Lowering that ceiling so new players can get there faster isn’t very fair to those of us who’ve dedicated a lot of time since it came out, or even before in beta.

You didn’t understand me. I don’t ask to “lower the ceiling”.

I simply want exploits gone, along with people who use them. More readiable animations, fixes to face-hugging, etc. will help the game as people will see why they are being hit. I killed an archer who used a buckler, he simply blocked and my attack went through it (he wasn’t blocking side far enough and we know how excellent buckler’s shieldwall is) and was really suprised, so I explained to him how things work. It’s not just me who feel things as are now aren’t helping the game. Developers themselves are fixing various issues, so I think they realize how ridiculous some aspects are. What competitive players do? Defend dragging, etc. I even saw a topic about it. I understand they got used to it and advantages coming along with dragging and they’d have to alter their playstyle, but it says something in itself: that competitive gaming ain’t going hand-to-hand with general playerbase. Maybe there are people who like to watch how other people are playing, but are they going to keep the game alive if standard users won’t like what they consider “a bugged game”?

I know I hold no value as myself, but I am part of larger playerbase (although I speak solely for myself here) and I simply try to express my doubts in some fields.

That’s the definition of lowering the skill ceiling. None of what you mention is an exploit. If I parry the air, then parry again and spin my view, I can block in a 360 arc because there is a bug that uncaps your turn speed if you do that. That’s an exploit. What is not an exploit is attacking and then manipulating my swing by looking up and to the right, then bringing it back down and to the left near the end to hit you later than you expect. The combat system was specifically designed to allow such swing manipulation and is the main selling point vs canned animations.

The point of popularizing our largest tournament yet is to get it out on YouTube and streaming sites so that more people get interested. H E X E N, HuskyStarcraft and TGS’ videos on Chivalry are directly responsible for bringing in hundreds of players. More high-quality, interesting Chivalry content can ONLY be good for the game because it brings in more players.

So no, I don’t find what you’re saying to be on topic at all, you’re just spreading your opinion of what an exploit is because apparently you can’t deal with anything other than a swing directly aimed at your chest.

• @Holy.Death:

Everything you said

I agree with you and I also think it is relevant for the topic at hand here.
    While I am still broke and would donate my effort in creating art that might be sentimental value enough for competition (I think that is enough in my opinion, over piling in a cash prize) I would not have donated to this if I could- and you have sealed the deal in explaining why I wouldn’t.

While I do not see anything wrong with the competitive clan players I do avoid playing with them or on their servers because, like someone else here said on their departure post, it comes down to who can react faster and who can control the mechanics to a finer level of detail. Which on it’s own is fine but that is not where I draw my fun, or rather not as much.

So I will have to agree here on certain occasions where I see clan players in a public server and without pointing fingers here since all deserve their own peace at playing the way they like I do still often encounter very specific loadouts and combat tactics which rely on quickswinging,dragging and control over the animations using feints or otherwise- which again on its own is okay I don’t mind that personally- so summarizing this you are asking the community at large to pitch in for a competition where the competitive (often clanned) playerbase will be participating.

That with what death said makes me ask-
    If these people who focus on winning more than enjoying the game are going to join, wont I just be paying them to kill me in the match?? Where is the fun in that for me? I do not care about who wins or not as much as I care about the immersion in each match and the teamwork involved etc etc etc.

Kudos Holy Death, you stole the words from my mouth there.

Also I think there shouldn’t be prize money if you are opening a competition for the community- I think that is a bad way to advertise towards competitive matches. Like I suggested earlier, I or anyone else can make some kind of symbolic trophy which as I recall was the original awards you got in clanmatches back at 98-99.