[Art] Celtic Sword & Kite Shield



  • Greetings! I’m a nursing student, part time CNA, Chivalry player in ia. clan, and 3d hobbyist looking for critiques on how to better balance visual fidelity with low polygon counts to have functional models for when the Chivalry mod tools release. Having browsed through the Chivalry community mods and media projects in progress, I think there are very talented artists among us who I’d like to hear from on how to better myself in the realm of 3d art and texturing.

    For full size: http://s455.photobucket.com/user/Msdrag … sort=3&o=0

    I feel that my edge flow can become very convoluted at times, I have only textured using publicly available images on google, and I’m uncertain as to how I should manage smoothing groups (even after watching some short video demonstrations, but they really didn’t explain the thought process involved with smoothing groups). The sword is 858 poly’s, with areas I could reduce it for very little visual impact, around the hilt and parts of the blade.

    Also the shield is stupidly high poly, it was intended for a friend to use in a school video editing project. Where might I improve?



  • I’m a total 3D artist noob so I don’t have any suggestions to give you. I can just say that it’s a really nice looking sword and shield you’ve made there :) I think you should make a celtic shield to match that sword!



  • That does sound like a good idea, maybe make a full armory of Celtic weaponry. It’ll be good practice until I learn more about low poly game assets. I’ve only done high poly sculpts, with some dabbling in mudbox / zbrush. I’m also working on Greco-Roman architectural constructs. More specifically, I’m working on making a low poly Ionic colonnade.



  • What software?
    Where is the wireframe? :D
    UV map snapshot etc?

    It looks very nice so far but im not sure if its for a render shot or game models specifically?
    Give us more eyecandy plz.



  • @User:

    What software?
    Where is the wireframe? :D
    UV map snapshot etc?

    It looks very nice so far but im not sure if its for a render shot or game models specifically?
    Give us more eyecandy plz.

    3d Studio Max
    Wireframe: http://s455.photobucket.com/user/Msdrag … sort=3&o=1
    Hilt: http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq27 … eframe.png
    Blade: http://s455.photobucket.com/user/Msdrag … sort=3&o=0
    Clay Render: http://s455.photobucket.com/user/Msdrag … sort=3&o=2
    I don’t know how to set up proper UVW maps, so I generally just give it a standard clay colored texture with ambient occlusion. I’m probably going to completely redo the sword, as I’m seeing some glaring flaws in the current design. Have to link externally because these forums don’t like images bigger than 700 pixels wide.

    Currently, I can model architecture and objects. I haven’t attempted character models yet. I’m trying to learn how to make good looking low poly assets for game use. Same with texturing.



  • I’m not really sure about 3ds functionality. I use Maya- You should get into UV mapping first if you want to make things for gaming platforms. Also the topology seems fine, its low poly enough if you ask me, though if you want to cut more I would make even that a normal map for an even lower poly model. (can decimate it, though not sure how to do that in 3ds again :P)

    anyway, google up some uv tutorials! :P

    Edit:
    The forums do, but you have to use the [image] function no the ![](one. Keep in mind that it taxes teh forum space though, i think.)



  • @User:

    I’m not really sure about 3ds functionality. I use Maya- You should get into UV mapping first if you want to make things for gaming platforms. Also the topology seems fine, its low poly enough if you ask me, though if you want to cut more I would make even that a normal map for an even lower poly model. (can decimate it, though not sure how to do that in 3ds again :P)

    anyway, google up some uv tutorials! :P

    Edit:
    The forums do, but you have to use the [image] function no the ![](one. Keep in mind that it taxes teh forum space though, i think.

    Hey, thanks for the update User! I actually completely remodeled the sword and managed to shave off ~200 polys (662 now, was 858 before), and fix up the issue that I had (there was a major shearing of polys at the top of the blade because I used the mirror modifier instead of symmetry).

    I’ll be making a Celtic shield next to match the sword, then I’ll start working to texture them both.)


Log in to reply