The Handgonne (Hand Cannon) [With Vote Poll]

• Abit silly really that after finally finding a unique FPS game involving medieval weaponary that I am allready posting a suggesting for a fire-arm. Bwahahaha Blasphemy!

However that aside I think it would be a nice feature to the game.

The handgonne was first invented in China back in the 1200s, where it would soon spread across the globe. It would eventually, change the way of warfare forever.

Here are my suggestions for the weapon (as if you need my help in that matter)

: Weapon for the Archer Class
    : Damage is good but not great
    : Projectile is insanely fast, but not very accurate
    : Reloading would be its greatest weakness
    : Projectile can penetrate through most types of shields

What are your thoughts on the Handgonne?

P.S heres an informative video for curious people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZJ88UlIy-U

Please vote here:

• I like it. :)

• I love this.

• Very good Idea !!

• Interesting idea…

But I don’t think this should be implemented in this game.
    The biggest problem is to balance such a weapon.
    If you make it more historically correct it’s damage wouldn’t be just ‘good’ but devastating and it would pierce almost every armor (Those guns meant the end of the medieval warrior’s shiny steel armour), though it’s accuracy would be, as you said, very very bad!
    Problem: despite the bad accuracy and the fact that this guns were equally dangerous for it’s user, it would still be very overpowered!

Or you don’t stick too much to historical accuracy (like you suggested) for sake of game balance:
    Than it is still some kind of annoying, because you can’t do anything against it: It hits you almost instantly and pierces your armor like it was butter. And it may be no real fun for the “archer” (we would have to rename that class then: gunner!), because he takes many shots to finally hit something.

I think firearms shouldn’t be in a medieval combat game. If you want to fire handguns there is much variety of first-person shooters.
    But the variety of this kind of games is very limited and I don’t want to have another shooter, the current archer weapons are (annoying) enough in my opinion :P
    I just like the sound of clashing blades and battlecries. The melee combat system is what makes this game so good.

• It is an interesting idea, but the problem would be to balance it. The accuracy would be really really bad, of course. It was used from very close range against enemies in formation. But people like to go solo in this game, especially archers acting like snipers. But with this weapon, you have to get real close, you fire it and if you don’t hit anything, which is most likely, you draw your sword. If you face a lot of people stacked together, like in throneroom when the upper level doorways turns into bottlenecks, then the handgonne might be pretty useful.

I can already see what tactic these people will use. They will let enemies charge at them until they are so close that you can’t miss. Kind of like what archers do when people with shields charge them. They hold the bow drawn until the guy with shield gets within hugging distance, as he drops his shield to swing his sword, he gets an arrow to his knee head. Handgonners will most likely do something like this, especially since it will penetrate shields as well (although at reduced damage, I reckon)

Another thing would be the smoke. You fire a shot, you could be a bit blinded by your smoke. “Did I hit him? Did he die? AAAAH, MY GUTS ARE SPILLING ON THE GROUND!” Same thing could also go for the enemies. Three guys charge at you, you take down the first one then run off to the side behind the smoke. It could be like a very small smoke pot effect. Especially if you have a bunch of archers acting as gunners. Gunners would probably work best in cramped areas that form bottlenecks (indoor areas like corridors) and defending from the wall in Stoneshill.

• People wanting guns in Chivalry

umDr0mPuyQc

• ? Amen to that ?

• Balancing would be a bitch for this weapon.

Really it should be insta kill. As when the projectile hits chain mail it tends to make it explode and rip apart people’s chests leaving a really big hole.

• Ravengrim - I always suspected that this weapon would have balancing issues. As you said it basically ended medieval warfare. But as you said again we don’t have to go completely historical on the accuracy . After all the game isnt phocusing on realism (you can “behead” someone with a swipe of your Hunter Knife) rather, the hacking and slashing and the satisfying gore.

Which brings us back to why we should even add this weapon if it ruins the medieval feel. I don’t think it will if it is added correctly, which of course is the difficult part.
    As far as the opponent is concerned I would imagine that the projectile won’t deal allot of damage as a counterbalance.

Also the reason I want this weapon is not because I have a lack of FPS shooters (far from it actually), but because of the innovative impact it had on history and to see how stressfull it would be to use in a medieval game. Also I don’t think there where any other portable fire-arms during that period so calm yourself - David

SavageBeast - I really like the idea of smoke. It would definetly add effect to the weapon, but also serve as a minor disadvantage if someone is charging at you.

On another note it is my full intent that this weapon won’t be popular by its users. rather, an extra weapon with historical flavour and uniqueness.

• Handcannons? In this game you just can’t justify their existence.

If you would want to make it at least a bit realistic, the handcannon would be nothing but a crossbow ( about as accurate, about as piercing), but takes twice as long to reload and is useless when it’s raining.

The only reason those were used in real life is, because they were cheap to produce. For the price of one crossbow you could get 10-20 handcannons back then.

@junkersapple:

As you said it basically ended medieval warfare.

Maybe we have different views of what is and what isn’t medieval warfare, but overall that statement of yours is not correct.

• I dont think it would add any fun to the game. Also it would destroy the medieval feel somewhat. Of course this feel is coming from fantasy movies and novels not from history.

For example Im pretty sure when zweihanders where used all the norseswords where gone. But who cares, as long as its fun which I dont see potential in this, sorry.

• Overlaps Heavy x-bow too much. And why not just make it a Arquebus instead? More famous, specially in Europe.

• so calm yourself

I wasn’t raging as you might think. Just trying to discuss this topic in a constructive way and saying my opinion. Did my post really sound so harsh? ;)

EDIT: Ok, forget what I said, didn’t realize this wasn’t meant to me. sry :)

• No, no guns!

• @NIB:

Handcannons? In this game you just can’t justify their existence.

If you would want to make it at least a bit realistic, the handcannon would be nothing but a crossbow ( about as accurate, about as piercing), but takes twice as long to reload and is useless when it’s raining.

The only reason those were used in real life is, because they were cheap to produce. For the price of one crossbow you could get 10-20 handcannons back then.

The “hand cannon” was used arround the 1200s which is roughly the time period this game is going for.
    Its true that it got popular but that was during the end of the medieval age arround the 1500s.
    So basically, if they where to add this to the game, it would be very innovative and not so effective. The purpose is not to replace the Crossbow, but to add an extra little flavour to the game. To me that justifies its existence enough.

Its true that they where cheaper to produce and definetly less effective compared to the crossbow in many terms, but thats fine!
    If added the crossbow should always outrate the Handgonne in most categories. Its soul purpose is to furfill the minor things that other weapons can’t deal. I mean, look at the slingshot and its role in the game. Not signifficant in most cases, but fun for those times that it is.

• @-Thylacine-:

Overlaps Heavy x-bow too much. And why not just make it a Arquebus instead? More famous, specially in Europe.

Arquebuses first came to be in the 15th century and didnt become popular until 16th and 17th centuries.
    So basically just before the end of the middle ages, which equals beyond the time period of the game.

By then firearms where replaced by bows and crossbows which is not what I am trying to archieve here.

All I want is a single firearm that was not popular for its period, to add a flavour to the game, and not change the way the game runs.

I will admit tought that this “handgonne” subject has been extreemely controvercial.

• @junkersapple:

@-Thylacine-:

Overlaps Heavy x-bow too much. And why not just make it a Arquebus instead? More famous, specially in Europe.

Arquebuses first came to be in the 15th century and didnt become popular until 16th and 17th centuries.
    So basically just before the end of the middle ages, which equals beyond the time period of the game.

By then firearms where replaced by bows and crossbows which is not what I am trying to archieve here.

All I want is a single firearm that was not popular for its period, to add a flavour to the game, and not change the way the game runs.

I will admit tought that this “handgonne” subject has been extreemely controvercial.

This is simply not true. The Spanish extensively used the Arquebus in the Americas, which was in the 15h century. Also it was widely used in the 15th Century in Europe, specially in Portugal, Japan and Spain. Do some research on it. Specially about the Spanish Conquest of the Aztec empire.

And while being used, it did absolutely not replace the bow or crossbow. They coexisted, they had pros and cons, the Arquebus was very slow to reload (slower then Crossbow) and if it became wet then it was useless because the power wouldn’t ignite.
    But it hit way harder and sounded very loud to intimidate enemies and also produced a big smoke cloud after firing. So if we theoretically introduced it to the game, then it should give a smoke-pot like effect after every shot and 1 hit every class.

• Hand cannon would be more in theme with the game. The all metal ones performed as a mace as well. Would be a nice option for archers.
    I’m thinking it could shoot several small projectiles - each roughly equivalent to a sling stone - in a shotgun cone of attack. It should also be wildly unpredictable.

• Okay, instead of a instant kill.

How about Huge damage and a small area radius of smoke is producted?

So the melee guy could go off some where while the smoke hid him from enemy archer to doing killing blow?