Shield on the back should protect from or reduce damage

• If a player has a shield on his back, it shouldb prevent him from taking any damage, or at the very least, reduce the damage by a fraction, say 1/4th or 1/3rd or even 1/2 of the original damage, but in return, in a way to balance it, it should have a staggering effect. This way, if a player is about to attack it will still interrupt their attack, perhaps even after they have charged up to strike. Really, I never saw the point of a shield when parrying/blocking with the weapon always seemed to be a better option. Allowing you to block with your weapon + be protected from the rear, allows you to be more protected, yet sacrifices the use of range weapons like throwing knives and axes.

Basically:

When shield is not equipped ==> Damage reduced by 25% - 100% (ideally 50%) ==> Staggering effect which interrupts any attacks or blocks, possibly drains their stamina too. ==> Size of the shield increase area of blocking the shield gives (and the effects it has on the overall speed or movement/reaction time still apply), and certain shields, like the Archer’s, still break in one hit, but block 100% and have no stagger or stamina drain.

• That would be far too powerful, pointless taking axes in a team game since so many hits come from the back.

• @gregcau:

That would be far too powerful, pointless taking axes in a team game since so many hits come from the back.

The shields should do SOMETHING on the back. They slow you down, yet when you put them away its like they’re weightless. How about making the stagger effect cause you to be completely vunerable, as if you were out of stamina? Like, you couldn’t even block until after the stagger effect is over, leaving you completely vunerable. Or reducing the amount of damage it blocks to around 25% - 50%. I really hate hitting someones shield and seeing my shield cut through it like paper, when it’s solid steel and should block my attack.I know the game isn’t supposed to be 100% realistic, but it bugs me greatly…

• @gregcau:

That would be far too powerful, pointless taking axes in a team game since so many hits come from the back.

The shields should do SOMETHING on the back. They slow you down, yet when you put them away its like they’re weightless. How about making the stagger effect cause you to be completely vunerable, as if you were out of stamina? Like, you couldn’t even block until after the stagger effect is over, leaving you completely vunerable. Or reducing the amount of damage it blocks to around 25% - 50%. I really hate hitting someones shield and seeing my shield cut through it like paper, when it’s solid steel and should block my attack.I know the game isn’t supposed to be 100% realistic, but it bugs me greatly…

Edit: In staggering, you go forward a bit, so if you were fighting someone from the front, you’d be pushed into their attack, leaving you even more vunerable.

• @theif519:

@gregcau:

The shields should do SOMETHING on the back./quote]

They do, they protect you from projectiles.

• @gregcau:

@theif519:

@gregcau:

The shields should do SOMETHING on the back./quote]

They do, they protect you from projectiles.

How about… protection against light arms and secondaries? That way Knights and Vanguards can still bash through, but MaA and Archers have to be a bit more smart with how they approach a knight with a Tower shield on his back.

Edit: Also, it’d make you impervious to backstabs from a dagger… after all, a measely dagger shouldn’t go through a steel shield. Also, depending on the make, like how some are mostly wooden, and others are steel-make, they should provide different kinds of damage resistance from the backside. A buckler should do nothing, while a tower shield should do something yet still restricts movement and speed.

• I think the projectile defense is enough.

Realism is nice but in this case I think it would negatively impact gameplay… would you want to equip some 2 throwing axes when you can instead gain a tower-shield turtle shell that negates or reduces damage in the back?

• To complicated to implement, gay if you an archer or MAA or using a secondary, its gonna be buggy and its hard to balance.

All in all a useless feature that will annoy people.

• @theif519:

Really, I never saw the point of a shield when parrying/blocking with the weapon always seemed to be a better option.

Thats why this game NEEDS feints!

Back on topic I agree that the projektile protection is enough since all youre scrificing is the throwables.