Big Disadvantage to a lower FoV?

• I’m just wondering what the general consensus is on a high FoV and how beneficial it is or how disadvantaged you are if you choose not to increase it greatly. I’ve tried high FoV at 120 and found that yes, it does give me some very nice peripheral that allows me to see attacks coming that I wouldn’t have noticed in a lower setting. However it makes the game look like absolute shit imo.

Is this what classifies me as a casual because things like immersion are important to me and I’m not willing to sacrifice that for a competitive edge? I’ve found 95 to be the best high FoV without getting terrible visual effects (fisheye, clipped models, floating weapons)

What do you guys play at and why?

• I play at 120 because in general I like really wide FOV in any game. And this one happens to be very advantageous to have larger FOV especially in regards to shields. As far as being able to dominate and still have fun, it is not necessary to have a giant FOV. I’d say go with whatever you think looks good. Just know it won’t stop you from achieving top of the boards.

• I play this game to have fun, so anything that would conflict with that (e.g. a fov that makes everything looks weird/crap) does not concern me no matter how advantageous it might be. I’m on 95 btw.

• Everyone tells me to increase FOV, but I never do. I’m not making the game look awful just to be able to block easier and see attacks coming that I wouldn’t normally be able to, so I use the default 95.

• @Martin:

Everyone tells me to increase FOV, but I never do. I’m not making the game look awful just to be able to block easier and see attacks coming that I wouldn’t normally be able to, so I use the default 95.

105 fov >

• @Martin:

Everyone tells me to increase FOV, but I never do. I’m not making the game look awful just to be able to block easier and see attacks coming that I wouldn’t normally be able to, so I use the default 95.

Yeah agreed, fisheye just spoils it too much to be worth the advantage. Anyways, should we even have a wide FOV with those helmets? :P

• On my widescreen monitor I play at 108. Any higher and it looks too weird.
    When I use a standard monitor I play at 95. I definitely don’t have the same overall awareness of the field around me at 95, and it seems like my weapons don’t reach as far (though that’s subjective).

• I used to play 72 but i switched back to 80

• I like 110 with my large monitor. I would play on 120 if not for the floating-arm thing

• I like my Fov at about 99 because I find it easier to perceive range.

• Really it should just be used as a setting to make your monitor display the game in a way that looks correct (see fish-eye) but it’s quite apparent the benefits of doing so with more vision and losing one of the negative aspects of using a shield. Personally I think it should be hardcapped at 110 as anything above that is like looking down their arms as gloves and defeats the disadvantages of shields. Perhaps TB could make it so regardless of FoV the shield size stays the same on the screen which would be a good feature.

• @Slacka:

I play this game to have fun, so anything that would conflict with that (e.g. a fov that makes everything looks weird/crap) does not concern me no matter how advantageous it might be. I’m on 95 btw.

Pretty much this. I also stick with 95.

• Sadly I believe that the FOV is another bad idea along with 3rd person that has ruined the game for so many players. Many casual and pub players have no idea of the advantages of both and constantly get stomped on then they lose interest. Most of the “competitive” players crank up the fov for an clear gaming advantage. These should have never been allowed in the game. Now you have DEVview where you can zoom way out, fov 120 and in 3rd person and it is clear that the average 1st person player has little chance against these players.

We had an awesome 1st person MAA till he was introduced to this and now he is unstoppable with the bardish. But when he plays 1st person, all his skills go to shit. DevView even bypasses 1st view only servers. So competition for those who actually play 1st person, well there is no competition, 3rd person DevView with 120 FOV is clearly the winner.

It would have been nice if the Devs would have made the game on a level playing field, across the board for all players instead of trying to please all people all the time.

• @Retsnom:

[…] DevView even bypasses 1st view only servers. So competition for those who actually play 1st person, well there is no competition, 3rd person DevView with 120 FOV is clearly the winner.

It would have been nice if the Devs would have made the game on a level playing field, across the board for all players instead of trying to please all people all the time.

You know they’re removing DevBehindView next patch, right?

• Most clan servers disallow using third person view.

And yet they mosty all use 120 fov.

120 is unrealistic, but it gives them a significant advantage over people who would rather use 3rd person to have a wider view.

Whatever lets them win, right?

• @2maidens1chalice:

Most clan servers disallow using third person view.

And yet they mosty all use 120 fov.

120 is unrealistic, but it gives them a significant advantage over people who would rather use 3rd person to have a wider view.

Whatever lets them win, right?

Third person has far more peripheral vision than first person with 120 FOV, not to mention the rear vision, being able to peek through walls and bridges to see without exposing yourself.

Furthermore, 120 FOV will affect third person as well.

• @Retsnom:

Sadly I believe that the FOV is another bad idea along with 3rd person that has ruined the game for so many players…

This.

I play FoV 100 btw, cause the game looks crappy to me if I turn it higher.

• I play on 110, not sure how I ended up there really just out of tweaking it down from 120. I’ve even tried 130, but relearning the weapon ranges all over again wasn’t fun and the shoulders on the Knight model look pretty terrible with it. 110 seems perfect for me!

95 is also good, as well it’s perfect for the game but I just like to have the false illusion of the game being faster. It feels quicker on 110 due to the fishbowling and it makes playing the Knight a lot less clunky!

• @Retsnom:

Sadly I believe that the FOV is another bad idea along with 3rd person that has ruined the game for so many players. Many casual and pub players have no idea of the advantages of both and constantly get stomped on then they lose interest. Most of the “competitive” players crank up the fov for an clear gaming advantage. These should have never been allowed in the game. Now you have DEVview where you can zoom way out, fov 120 and in 3rd person and it is clear that the average 1st person player has little chance against these players.

We had an awesome 1st person MAA till he was introduced to this and now he is unstoppable with the bardish. But when he plays 1st person, all his skills go to shit. DevView even bypasses 1st view only servers. So competition for those who actually play 1st person, well there is no competition, 3rd person DevView with 120 FOV is clearly the winner.

3rd person is awful against good players.

You don’t know what your talking about

• I would say that, yes, perhaps in some ways a high FoV could be advantageous. However, high FoV can’t compensate for low skill, and it also isn’t a requirement for high skill, either. I mean, just look at me, Ser Armand Lacroix. I play with Goddamn 68 FoV on a standard 4:3 monitor. Am I at a clear disadvantage? Not really. I’m actually more towards the higher end of the middle of the skill bar on an average day; still a casual player by all means, but able to hold my own against the otherwise slaughtering hordes of clannies. If they’re alone, that is. If they actually work together I’m fucked, as anyone should be in a game as skill-based as this.