Archers with Flaming Arrows in Singleplayer Beta

• So I was playing the beta with bots to try something (no one is playing!) I stumbled across something I’d long forgotten from a previous beta.

Archers in SP have flaming arrows.

I don’t know if this has already been discussed but I’m curious as to what this is. Is this an accidentally left in thing you have been testing as an archer special?

• Used to be a third arrow type in Alpha, but later removed from players.

• I think bots always had access to them.

• @Xylvion:

I think bots always had access to them.

Yes they have, they were only removed from players, not bots.

Basically they required a shitton more balancing before they’ll be ok to use in the main game. May see a return someday, but not in their current form. Do a search on it for a bigger post I made on this, having tested them during Alpha. :)

• @BobT36:

@Xylvion:

I think bots always had access to them.

Yes they have, they were only removed from players, not bots.

Basically they required a shitton more balancing before they’ll be ok to use in the main game. May see a return someday, but not in their current form. Do a search on it for a bigger post I made on this, having tested them during Alpha. :)

Oh look at this cool guy bragging about being in the alpha! Sorry I wasn’t invited!

• @ChuckingIt:

Oh look at this cool guy bragging about being in the alpha! Sorry I wasn’t invited!

Mine’s bigger than yours.

Found the thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12792&p=120594#p120555

• @BobT36:

Mine’s bigger than yours.

I can always count on you British chaps for a good laugh

• @BobT36:

Basically they required a shitton more balancing before they’ll be ok to use in the main game.

Pity though, they are pretty fucking cool. In single player I would be like WTF I didn’t think the bot MAAs threw firepots. Then I spot a flaming archer.

• hmm well, they could be a powerup choice for the shortbow instead of broadhead or bodkin. With a lets throw a random value in here, 15% chance that the arrow will be on fire, not only that but teh fire will not last for as long as firepots, but half the time. The probability might have to change though as well as the time for the firedamage. I think it would be fair to the shortbow with a different type of arrows as the bow is quite weak, lowering the chance of it being a firearrow would make it less OP. Just a random thought.

• Hmm don’t really like the idea of random stuff. Not in a game like this anyways.

Imagine the screams of people being killed, just because their opponent just got that random proc? hehe.

I think they CAN be balanced, but very much need doing so before putting back in the game. Like I said they’d make a nice “endgame” Archer unlock. But would need tuning down significantly first.

Also one of the bad bits was simply the annoyance of being on fire, constantly heh. Being plinked with arrows is annoying enough, but being immolated 100% of the time when trying to fight someone was rage inducing for them. XD

• Could have been an interesting replacement for broadheads in that unarmoured targets are more flammable. It would definitely be cool to see this in the game.

• I think firearrows should be more inaccurate than other type of arrows and should not penetrate shields like they do now ( atleast i think they do)

• how do they need more balancing?
    that is ridic, didnt u yourself say Martin that it takes 3 fire arrows to kill ppl,
    yet it only takes 2 regular arrows to kill. so how does that require a balance, or in a anyway is op?
    and that u nerfed their damage as a test and ppl still whined op, proof ppl will whine no matter what.

they just need to be put back in, im so tired of ppl ruining this game from getting owned by sumthing, or not liking how u killed them and it gets labeled as op, thats just ridicolous

u know what,u guys might as well just remove all the weapons and just give us feathers and we can fucking tickle fight, whoever laughs the hardest loses. cause thats the direction this whole game is headed.

does it really matter how u die in a game where thats the point, to kill or b killed

oh u can actually do sumthing with this weapon,
    “Balance Council” NERF IT!!!

• I’m more wondering how you could set the arrows on fire, I mean hello? I don’t think everybody had flint 'n steel in his pocket in the medieval times.
    They should have a long reloading time and it should only be possible at torch posts or burning buildings 'n shit.

• no cause then they will whine that u are “camping the torch” or lighting spot, i can just see it already.

• I kind of like this feather tickling idea…

• @Kimiko:

I kind of like this feather tickling idea…

Sig worthy.

Also as I mentioned it wasn’t just the number of hits that made them meh. Read those posts pl0x. And that was from the perspective of me using them AGAINST someone mainly!

But yes I DO hope they come back in some form, fire arrows are a classic part of medieval warfare, and quite badass. I’d love if they had some strategic use and weren’t purely just for an alternate way of doing damage.

• Add an oil jar that can be picked by any class (just like a torch) and that is picked up when you hold E while reloading at ammo chest.
    The jar could be thrown at the ground to prepare hot surprises for incomming ennemies and then a fire arrow could be shot at it.
    We could also draw flamming male parts all over citadel and the mason would be pissed off.

• what if u remove the fire animation from the persons view who got shot?
    i bet that would do the trick

i think then it wouldnt matter, and also my player screaming ahhhhh ahhhhhh aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
    is plenty to make it real enough and remind me that i am on fire,lol

you should add just add them back in, ppl ask everyday about them

just remove the burning animation from the persons view who got shot and make the arrows a serverside option, simple effective and awesome

why cant u guys addd them back in?
    simple solution took 10 secs to make every1 happy and u guys look good cause u now have another awesome thing back in ur game,
    and not on the nerf bench, put them in coach their ready to play!

just remove the animation from whoever gets hit’s view, make them a serverside option thats is sett to off, servers that want them can edit the no to yes in the ini file, and those who want to play with them can and those who dont wont have to

what would be the harm in that?
    do u really think sum1 is going to quit your game from getn hit by a fire arrow?
    id quit the game from gettn chopped down by the op vanguard swords,
    way before i quit for getting shot by an archers fire arrow, least i know the arrow took sum skill to hit me.