Omni - Movement Platform for VR Gaming

• Saw this on another forum, check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194 … orite-game

Cool eh? Reminds me of the movie “Gamer”.

Although there’s obvious flaws with fully integrating this into current game styles, hell, it’s a step in the right direction for immersing in VR!

We don’t exactly have the full Matrix “jack in” style interface yet, so anything in that direction we get is a good first few steps closer to it.

I think the next step would probably be this, but with sensors / gloves on arms and legs, practically a less accurate version of mocap, only then could it really be modelled properly with the ability to allow casting etc. After that it would probably have to be something like the occulus but a full helmet and lighter. Following that, matrix style heh.

Either ways, it’s cool they’re experimenting with this type of stuff. I think it will be a LONG way off before proper VR becomes usable and transcends keyboard / mouse, and especially affordable though.

• I am still waiting for virtual sex.

• @gregcau:

I am still waiting for virtual sex.

Japan will not disappoint.

You may even get more than you bargained for…

• If there was a virtual sex game that has the matchmaking of normal games, I’d be scared.

Now, as for the Omni, it is pretty cool. I’d definitely get one, however I’d love to see a video of how loud this thing is.

I have a stupid fear that I think that if I put too much pressure on the floor like jumping, I’ll fall through….Don’t ask. So I’d like to see how loud it is, because wearing running shoes and running on what seems like a strong plastic will probably not be silent.

• Whatever form it is in, the first proper VR gaming technology WILL have a tentacle attachment, courtesy of Japan.

Mark my words.

• @BobT36:

Whatever form it is in, the first proper VR gaming technology WILL have a tentacle attachment.

I totally want this. xD

This would be so fun in Chiv. So silly looking too xD BUT. Good exercise!!

• Omni + Oculus Rift + Kinect for arm detection = Chivalry.

• Yeah! :D

I love the fact that VR is really moving forward with new possibilities and more realism.
    Once it becomes affordable and it’s completed, one of my dreams will come true i guess. :)

Imagine VR in Chivalry 8-)

• @Woodzi:

Yeah! :D

I love the fact that VR is really moving forward with new possibilities and more realism.
    Once it becomes affordable and it’s completed, one of my dreams will come true i guess. :)

Imagine VR in Chivalry 8-)

I’d have to hire a cleaner to deal with many pairs of um, unusable underwear… And a psychiatrist.

• @Keith:

Omni + Oculus Rift + Kinect for arm detection = Chivalry.

The oculus rift works with two wii fist controllers and that can be sensed by it as used as your arms and with the buttons they can be used to grab things.

• @lemonater47:

@Keith:

The oculus rift works with two wii fist controllers and that can be sensed by it as used as your arms and with the buttons they can be used to grab things.

That works too. Although, if we had to use the Wii motes, I’d buy one of the Zelda sword and shield accessories to throw on.

• Imagine playing slender in fucking VR. The PTSD would be absolutely, horribly real.

• I can’t wait to try Star Citizen (big fan of Wing commander) with the Oculus :D

• @Keith:

@lemonater47:

@Keith:

That works too. Although, if we had to use the Wii motes, I’d buy one of the Zelda sword and shield accessories to throw on.

They will make their own ones. They wont be allowed to sell wii fist remotes.

Nintendo is a bitch when it comes to things with copyright.

“We don’t want your free advertising”.

• @lemonater47:

They will make their own ones. They wont be allowed to sell wii fist remotes.

Nintendo is a bitch when it comes to things with copyright.

“We don’t want your free advertising”.

That’s fine. I’d be more than happy to create my own if I have to.