Weapon talk : Two-handed axes

• Two-handed axes are three powerful and fast weapon of choices for the Knights only, may prove to have a pretty weak stab, except for the Pole Axe which is one of the most versatile weapon existing in the game so far by the judge of its advantages.

Double Axe

! Double Axe
    ! Attack style, Damage, Type, Force, Windup, Combo, Release, Recovery and W+R+R.
    ! Attack1 : 90 CutBlunt F: 300 = 0.55/0.7/0.6/0.85 = 2
    ! Attack2 : 115 CutBlunt F: 300 = 0.6/0.7/0.55/0.9 = 2.05
    ! Attack3 : 45 Blunt F: 350 = 0.65/0.725/0.4/0.75 = 1.8
    ! Reach : 47
    ! Fact : One hit kills Archers to head.

Pole Axe

! Pole Axe
    ! Attack style, Damage, Type, Force, Windup, Combo, Release, Recovery and W+R+R.
    ! Attack1 : 70 CutBlunt F: 325 = 0.5/0.7/0.5/0.9 = 1.9
    ! Attack2 : 90 Blunt F: 325 = 0.6/0.7/0.5/0.9 = 2
    ! Attack3 : 80 Pierce F: 325 = 0.6/0.7/0.45/1 = 2.05
    ! Reach : 57
    ! Fact : Most versatile weapon.

Bearded Axe

! Bearded Axe
    ! Attack1 : 75 CutBlunt F: 35500 = 0.475/0.75/0.45/0.7 = 1.625
    ! Attack2 : 90 CutBlunt F: 30000 = 0.475/0.75/0.4/0.7 = 1.575
    ! Attack3 : 40 Blunt F: 32500 = 0.55/0.65/0.4/0.75 = 1.65
    ! Reach : 51
    ! Fact :
    Balance discussion.

Weapon damage value dedicated for the weapon talk threads can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=82

Weapon talk : URL Threads
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14535

Up to date change suggestions:
    Date: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:12 am

! Double Axe:
    ! Attack1 Base damage 85>90, Windup 0.55>0.575, Release 0.6>0.5 and Combo 0.8>0.75
    ! Attack2 Base damage 95>100, Windup 0.6>0.65 and Combo 0.8>0.75
    ! Attack3 Base damage 45>40, Windup 0.65>0.55, Combo 0.725>0.675 and Recovery 0.75>0.8
    !
    ! Pole Axe:
    ! Attack3 Combo 0.7>0.75
    !
    ! Bearded Axe:
    ! Attack1 Windup 0.425>0.475 and Release 0.55>0.5
    ! Attack2 Windup 0.425>0.525 and Release 0.5>0.475
    ! Attack3 Base damage 40>35 Windup 0.55>0.475 and Recovery 0.7>0.75

• I love all of these threads, though how do you get the reach for each weapon?

• The bearded (hax)axe overhead is to damn fast, it’s like the bardiche of knight weps.

Not entirely sure about the pole axe. but a friend of mine stated that it’s rather quite OP.

The double axe is slow and boring and the reach is lame and meh, it just sucks.

I’m not that into knight weapons, but it’d be nice if someone experienced with them would reply to the thread with their thoughts as well, it’s quite neat to gather peoples opinions so thumbs up to you Wolfy (:

• Double Axe: Hits hard (ish) but has a HORRIBLE reach and is very slow. It’s been said by many people to be the worst weapon in the entire game and I don’t disagree. Using this weapon is a serious self-handicap.

Poleaxe: Decent damage and reach with the ability to stab but a bit slower than the Bearded. I think it could use a smidgen more of a speed decrease to offset its huge damage potential but it’s not bad.

Bearded Axe: Has a windup (esp for overheads) that is so fast that it’s pretty much non-existent. I know the Bearded is supposed to be about speed - but the windup of this thing is redonkulous.

• Double Axe should just be taken out of the game, it’s bad in fantasy and even worse in reality.
    I’d say to remove the maul too but people find that fun for some ungodly reason.

Poleaxe should do more slash damage, perhaps 75.
    The overhead should 1HKO archers on their torso/head.

Bearded axe should have its windup timings inspected again, a combination of it’s fast windup and the ALT-swings being faster makes it comical.

• I had to make an account to give my opinion here as I have used the Poleaxe as my main weapon since nearly day one and wanted to chip in. I have found it to be a decent if slightly unreliable weapon. Here are what I consider to be its main pros and cons.

Pros:

• High damage - Can 2 hit knights (With 2 overheads or a thrust and an overhead).
    • Has a fast, powerful thrust. Possibly the most valuable attack in the poleaxe arsenal as it combos beautifully and has a counter speed on par with the SoW.
    • Some of its animations can be tricky to read especially for the uninitiated.
    • It has the full range of damage types (I guess this is valuable?).

Cons:

• The sudden axe-chop animations are harder to aim and are less suited to accelerate and deccelerate than most other popular two handers. This combined with what seems to be an uncommonly small hitbox on the overhead (See Hexen’s Poleaxe vid) makes it comparatively unforgiving in terms of accuracy to other 2 handers.
    • Whilst its attacks are not active for long it is still a reasonably slow weapon.
    • Slashes are perhaps the weakest attack in the arsenal doing subpar damage for average speed and maneuverability.

Verdict:
    Though not an intuitive weapon to use by any means I feel that it can be a strong weapon in team games if the user is practiced with it and able to play around the weapons drawbacks.

Personally I am always in conflict about this weapon. It can definetely be used to good effect in scrimms, but I am nonetheless concerned that I am basically one of the 2 or 3 EU competitive players maining with the Poleaxe. Why is this? I wonder if it is truly worth using over more popular options such as the Longsword or the Sword of War or perhaps its biggest competition, the Grand Mace.

• Its pretty fair to say that at this point that Pole axe is one of the most balanced and versatile weapon existing in the game due to its high damage on all attacks. As for Bearded Axe, I don’t really know where to get started… and …Double axe…meh,

Anyways, here is some of my suggestions how atleast the two broken weapons should be dealt with.

Double Axe:
    Attack1 Base damage 85>90, Windup 0.55>0.575, Release 0.6>0.5 and Combo 0.8>0.75
    Attack2 Base damage 95>100, Windup 0.6>0.65 and Combo 0.8>0.75
    Attack3 Base damage 45>40, Windup 0.65>0.55, Combo 0.725>0.675 and Recovery 0.75>0.8

Pole Axe:
    Attack3 Combo 0.7>0.75

Bearded Axe:
    Attack1 Windup 0.425>0.475 and Release 0.55>0.5
    Attack2 Windup 0.425>0.525 and Release 0.5>0.475
    Attack3 Base damage 40>35 Windup 0.55>0.475 and Recovery 0.7>0.75

Double Axe:
    My reasoning to increase Attack1 and Attack2 base damage is to make the weapon more dangerous to get hit by, it currently holds the chance of One hitting archer to head by overhead and slash, noticable feature is that Archer will ALWAYS die to body shot by this weapon, so I’ve made Double axe become the “Light maul” that easier kills lighter armoured opponents. I increased the windup to make the current damage buff not too overpowered along. Double Axe stab speed was made faster, while making the base damage lower so that it couldn’t be abused for stab spams, recovery were also increased to prevent that.

Poleaxe:
    Slash/Overhead to Stab combo has proven to be a quite powerful one, can very easily screw you over due to sudden stab, and therefore I decided to increase its combo timer by a little bit to prevent that from happening too much.

Bearded Axe:
    Has recieved a Windup for Release trade mostly, I also buffed stab to make it more a “Flincher / Finisher” though I increased the Recovery and lowered the damage to prevent stab spams being performed.

Please share your opinions and thoughts about my balancing, and check this URL for the spreadsheet dedicated to Weapon Talk Series
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=82

• Bearded axe is utter shit, except for the speed.

• Yeah, don’t touch pole-axe. It’s perfect.

• Please don’t make the Double Axe so similar to the maul. Make it faster instead. Fast + fast combos. That would make it unique and useful, a fast and devastasting low reach swingblunt axe? Yes, please.

Also, poleaxe overhead is OP.

• @-Thylacine-:

Please don’t make the Double Axe so similar to the maul. Make it faster instead. Fast + fast combos. That would make it unique and useful, a fast and devastasting low reach swingblunt axe?

Sounds good.

@wildwulfy:

Bearded Axe:

While I dont think a change to poleaxe is needed, it doesnt look like that much.

Now I cant agree with the bearded axe changes, and here is why:
    I fear your destroying the character of certain weapons. This also goes for other changes. The way I see it the bearded axe has a short windup to make it great for hittrades. Looking like a berserkers weapon I always liked that idea. Now I can see the change to overhead to nerf the lookdown some, but is it really needed on the swing?

In general wulfy please take care to not make the weapons all behave the same. I think you could easily fall for that. Like it seems for the weak dmg stabs you always go for a quick flincher, but why not give some weapons a plain terrible stab?

• The poleaxes stab animation feels way too stiff imo.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Yeah, don’t touch pole-axe. It’s perfect.

Yes, if you wanna whine about the poleaxe overhead being OP HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE OVERHEAD ON THE GMACE. Seriously, the poleaxe is fine.

• The only real problem with the two handed axes is the dub axe. It should either do more damage or be like the current longsword speed imo because the reach is basically 1 hander reach.

• Double-axe definitely needs a serious buff. It’s kind of a joke weapon.
    Its reach is so short that most of the time you need only back-peddle to dodge it, and its speed is so slow that you have all the time in the world to avoid the attack then counter.

It may sound like I’m generalising how its used to a newbie playstyle, but that’s just it, that’s all I ever face; newbie players who are only using it to unlock the other axes.

Anyone with an iota of experience in the game has tried it out, realised it’s pure shit with no redeeming qualities whatsoever and then never picked the thing up again.

• @Dibbz:

Anyone with an iota of experience in the game has tried it out, realised it’s pure shit with no redeeming qualities whatsoever and then never picked the thing up again.

I’ve wrecked tons of people with the dub axe, it’s strength lies in tons of reverse overheads, dragging, and accelerations/delays. It definitely needs a buff though, it doesn’t do anywhere near enough damage.

• @Del:

@Dibbz:

I’ve wrecked tons of people with the dub axe, it’s strength lies in tons of reverse overheads, dragging, and accelerations/delays. It definitely needs a buff though, it doesn’t do anywhere near enough damage.

Well yeah, you can rek anyone with any weapon if you’re good enough. Same strength you mentioned for the dub axe as for the heavy flail. I’ve pub stomed with a heavy flail before, it’s just difficult because the thing sucks.

• I am the best poleaxe knight in chivalry hands down. I know everything about this weapon from the inside out having used it over 400 hours in game. I may sound cocky but this is the truth. I switched over from SOW about 3 months ago to get some diversity out of the game so i chose the poleaxe.

I will give a rundown of how the weapon has its strengths and weaknesses.

PROS:
    -The weapon is very versatile, it has every single dmg modifier in the game. slash-pierce-blunt.
    -The riposte on the stab is on par with the SOW, This is what makes the poleaxe viable, without this stab the weapon would be useless.
    -2 overheads to a knight’s torso will kill them.
    -Stab to overhead and Overhead to stab combos are fast and if an opponent does not have experience dealing with the poleaxe may be caught of guard by its speed.
    -Is intimidating to all classes

CONS:
    -Weapon cannot be dragged whatsoever because of its short release times. (some may argue that you can but this requires you to do some retarded torso movement and the chances of you bypassing their parry is close to none.)
    -Very high recovery times especially on the stab 1 WHOLE SECOND.(If you miss a stab, which you will, you will be punished like no other weapon)
    -SLOW WEAPON
    -Combos can be interrupted by a faster weapon
    -Good luck fighting MAA with the high recovery times and slow combos.
    -Good luck fighting dancing vanguards that make it extremely hard to land blows.
    -Horizontal slashes do sub par damage to knights and are only useful for finishing opponents
    -If you hit trade with an opponent you must go on the defensive. The weapon is far to slow to hit trade again and thus will result in your death.
    -Overhead has a small hit box and the chances of you getting a head shot are minuscule, it requires a lot of skill. (I only get about 20% head shots with my overheads.)
    -Overheads are hard to land on moving targets because of the fast release times.
    -Stamina is life with this weapon, few times can you recover from a fight if you have no stamina with this weapon.

OVERALL:
    The poleaxe is perfectly balanced as it is right now and to be good with it requires lots of practice and patience. I welcome anyone to main the poleaxe if its so fucking OP. you will quit within the week because you wont be able to handle the ass whooping you’ll receive by other knight weapons.

• @ŠïN:

I am the best poleaxe knight in chivalry hands down.

You’re confident, I’ll give you that! What do you think about Rarest’s post on the first page? He has 500hrs of exclusive polaxe play if that means anything to you. Thoughts on the poleaxe vs grand mace? Do you feel like the small hitbox on that overhead is balanced too? I’ve used it a little and I know what you’re talking about. It really seems to have an uncommonly small hitbox.

• The poleaxe is very balanced, I feel like it’s one of the most balanced weapons in the game. I main poleaxe and maul btw but I only use the maul in 8v8 TO currently because it’s forced to be a support weapon because it’s underpowered :/