[WEP] Spear or Brandistock?

• SO, I like the spears, and I was wondering - what separates them?

Pitchfork - OBV the shortest, weakest - but also fastest. Seems to be pretty handy in 1v1s compared to the other two. Anything else to it?

But the meat of the question… Spartan Spear + Brandistock - what separates these? Why would you use a brandistock over a spear, and vice versa?

At face value, from experience rather than number crunching - they both seem pretty damn long, and pretty powerful. Why one over the other?

Thanks

• The biggest difference I’ve seen immediately after picking them up is speed, (as well as power ofc).

Brandistock seems to take a LONG time to pull back, then thrust, slowly and powerfully.

The Spear is a lot quicker, you pull it back and thrust pretty much straightaway.

Brandi is probably better if you have really good timing, and you want to take down powerful opponents with slow, deliberate thrusts.

Spear is better in the midst of combat, poking away at your enemy and fighting a little more fluidly. Great range on it too, but does take a bit longer to kill them, however I think the faster attacks give your opponent slightly less time to react too. Personally I prefer the spear, but the power of the brandi would be good in the hands of those who are good with timing and aiming.

• I use the brandi to take down knights. It’s pretty wicked for that purpose.

• I prefer the spear for it’s speed, and still very competent range. Both of these weapons in team based fights are more of a support role, or even an opener. It’s probably better as support, but they can both also help a team get initiative by having the range to attack and have your team come in behind you. Both are very good clean up weapons and side-by-side weapons.

The brandistock is more powerful, and has a completely different timing which throws a lot of people off (myself included). Feints with this weapon are very hard to judge moreso than the spear because of the long windup. The brandistock also drags way better than the spear… brandidrags are pretty crazyy, and it seems to also have a larger hitbox to hit multiple opponents with a dragged swing. It also just deals more damage, so you may get a kill on a knight with fewer hits.

The spear just has the overall speed factor and is not necessarily better but seems better in 1v1 fights. The overhead poke and slash are the fastest attacks, and you need them to be quick in order to ever get counter stabs on people. The brandi just gives you too much time to parry the attack… unless there is a feint of course.

• I prefer the brandistock in most cases. For several reasons: 1. Not many people play it (therefore people are not used to play against it) 2. One-hit archers, two-hit knights 3. Slower and therefore more time for mouse dragging

But if someone on the enemy team plays spear/polearms I often switch to spear as well.

• The real difference is that the spear is faster (and slightly longer), and the brandistock can 2HK knights. I just use the spear because it looks better and is faster than the brandistock. The spear is slow enough as it is.

• @wyrda78:

The real difference is that the spear is faster (and slightly longer), and the brandistock can 2HK knights. I just use the spear because it looks better and is faster than the brandistock. The spear is slow enough as it is.

Two hit kill if ones a headshot.

An the brandistock can two hit kill a vanguard with a scrolls own stab and an LMB. Spear can’t do that.

Though spear vs brandistock 1v1 spear wins.

The brandstock LMB is actually viable.

• @lemonater47:

@wyrda78:

The real difference is that the spear is faster (and slightly longer), and the brandistock can 2HK knights. I just use the spear because it looks better and is faster than the brandistock. The spear is slow enough as it is.

Two hit kill if ones a headshot.

An the brandistock can two hit kill a vanguard with a scrolls own stab and an LMB. Spear can’t do that.

Though spear vs brandistock 1v1 spear wins.

The brandistock LMB is actually viable.

Killing vanguards with spears isn’t really a problem since they are so vulnerable to pierce damage, getting off a LMB isn’t that much easier than a quick stab. Stats wise, I couldn’t say that one weapons has a clear advantage over the other. I just like using the spear because the brandistock looks like an oversized fishing spear.

• If the latest beta changes to spear & brandistock go through (which I’m pretty sure they will) I’m beginning to think most if not all spear vanguards will switch to brandistock. At least I think I will. Fork needs a range buff to ever be viable.

• @Pan:

If the latest beta changes to spear & brandistock go through (which I’m pretty sure they will) I’m beginning to think most if not all spear vanguards will switch to brandistock. At least I think I will. Fork needs a range buff to ever be viable.

I hope this is not going to happen. Both. Overbuffing the brandi and everyone choosing brandi over spear.

• @afiNity:

@Pan:

If the latest beta changes to spear & brandistock go through (which I’m pretty sure they will) I’m beginning to think most if not all spear vanguards will switch to brandistock. At least I think I will. Fork needs a range buff to ever be viable.

I hope this is not going to happen. Both. Overbuffing the brandi and everyone choosing brandi over spear.

Well, it happened.

• Just lol. Aaah…man, that made me laugh.

I think one big part of the reasoning for this (other than obvious weapon tweaks) is how much more stamina you use now. If I use up so much damn stamina now just trying to hit someone, I want to actually hurt them, not tickle them. Another reason why the fork - as nice as it is now - is still not worth using.

• I find myself to be much more dangerous with a spear than the brandistock. The speed/length increase is really noticeable when you’re fighting a smaller, quicker opponent

• I like the dragability of the brandistock and the slow windup of the overhead. Gives me a lot of options to get the opponent to block in the wrong direction, especially when coupled with feints.

• During hectic fights where you’re surrounded by both enemies and allies alike, I always prefer to have a spear, simply because of the speed. The range difference between the spear and the brandistock is negligible, the speed difference can be a matter of life or death.

Damage wise it doesn’t gain alot either. The max total damage being applied does not outweigh the DPS of the spear. Therefor I believe the spear is better than the brandistock.

• i find that the primary use of either weapon is getting in a powerful stab in an enemy in a group fight. fighting from and passed behind ally shoulders. because that’s where their power is…what they lack in ability to hit lots of stuff easily, they have surplus in ability to miss what you don’t what to hit, and then hit stuff while staying just away from the primary danger: their weapons.

for that purpose, i prefere the Brandistock. it’s not significantly harder to do exactly that, but it does deliver significantly more power.

• @SharpshotSid:

Damage wise it doesn’t gain alot either. The max total damage being applied does not outweigh the DPS of the spear.

The Brandistocks DPS (~33-50) is higher than the Spears DPS (~21-40) if you manage attack at maximum speed. The Spears speed just gives you a higher change of hitting with your attacks and/or flinching your opponent.

• Spears are easier to control in team fights (not hiting team mates etc) imo. BUt brandistock is way better at least in 1v1 situations. In fact in current live version I’d dare say it’s completely overpowered lol. It has insane speed, it’s one of the few weapons you can still feintfuck people with, it has awesome range and the knockback is riddiculous.

Brandistock is my weapon of choice at 4 am when I’m tired and want to rape without trying :P

• @kywild:

Spears are easier to control in team fights (not hiting team mates etc) imo. BUt brandistock is way better at least in 1v1 situations. In fact in current live version I’d dare say it’s completely overpowered lol. It has insane speed, it’s one of the few weapons you can still feintfuck people with, it has awesome range and the knockback is riddiculous.

Brandistock is my weapon of choice at 4 am when I’m tired and want to rape without trying :P

Hehe, that’s what the claymore is for me atm

• @kywild:

Spears are easier to control in team fights (not hiting team mates etc) imo. BUt brandistock is way better at least in 1v1 situations. In fact in current live version I’d dare say it’s completely overpowered lol. It has insane speed, it’s one of the few weapons you can still feintfuck people with, it has awesome range and the knockback is riddiculous.

Yep, prettymuch!

Pre-patch I would say the brandistock was fine. Maybe the tiniest, tiniest bit underpowered. Post-patch brandistock is imo maybe the most powerful OP weapon in the game. Maybe.