This game is a lot of fun but…

• I understand it is difficult to balance the several “classes” in this game as their true purpose was always a part of a larger force or army and they were never meant to go toe to toe the way things are in C:MW.

However, some things are just so unrealistic they make the game plain irritating. For one, light one handed weapons should not be able to knock someone’s head off with a shot or two. Men at Arms have both shields and dodge, the weapons being as powerful as they are is WAY over the top. Some guy hits me twice on a heavy helmet with a 1 hander and my head comes off? Ridiculous at best.

Probably even more ridiculous are the daggers. These things probably wouldn’t even penetrate a lot of the armor in this game, let alone take someone from full health to dead in 3-4 hits. Beyond that(and this is also an issue with most light weapons) they are INCREDIBLY hard to dodge or react to in any way. If someone wants to play a ranged class and have advantage at range, their backup weapons should be defensive, not a viable alternative to wielding a 2 handed axe.

I know there are a lot of people who will argue that everything is working fine…but plain and simple it is not realistic for these weapons to behave in such a way. Perhaps the game would have been better served if you had a choice of Vanguard and Knight, end of story and it would then be a game where there was fairly equal footing in terms of playstyle.

As it stands, both the Archer and Man at Arms are simply those annoying classes that severely rob the atmosphere of chivalric medieval warfare from the game…and those annoying classes end up at the top of the kills chart a large percentage of the time as well.

• Have you not read ANY FORUMS YET and do you know NOTHING. The better question is are you a noob?

• @Jstorm:

Have you not read ANY FORUMS YET and do you know NOTHING. The better question is are you a noob?

post count 1 … so probably

• This game is supposed to be ridiculous.

Your problems are not even balance problems. Closer to animation problems really. Head off of not you still gonna die on that hit.

And those classes are supposed to be annoying. They die pretty damn easily. They make one mistake they gonna die. As a knight or vanguard you can make mistakes. They can’t.

MAAs are 1v1 masters

Archers are the bane of many people existence but without them on some maps defence is a hell of a lot harder.

And top kills most of the time?

Its usually the vanguard at the top. Followed by a knight or two. Unless here is a good MAA or archer on the server.

• @Jstorm:

Have you not read ANY FORUMS YET and do you know NOTHING. The better question is are you a noob?

aww don’t pick on the noobs

• OP’s post is very important because he is more in touch with his first impression of the game then anyone else on the forum. What you (experienced players of the forum) should realise is that he is seeing things through fresh eyes, so what you take for granted as normal OP is comparing to a realistic expectation. If the game is expected to grow and maintain a player base then we need to listen to people like OP because his idea of a realistic expectation is what might just keep the game down to earth and making plain sense.

• @giantyak:

OP’s post is very important because he is more in touch with his first impression of the game then anyone else on the forum. What you (experienced players of the forum) should realise is that he is seeing things through fresh eyes, so what you take for granted as normal OP is comparing to a realistic expectation. If the game is expected to grow and maintain a player base then we need to listen to people like OP because his idea of a realistic expectation is what might just keep the game down to earth and making plain sense.

First impressions are not a good way to design a game around. Like all types of software you have to use it for a long time before you can truly understand what you have in your hands.

And if you made it realistic, it would not be a fun game.

• @lemonater47:

MAAs are 1v1 masters

Statistics show otherwise.

Theoretically they are though.

• @gregcau:

@giantyak:

OP’s post is very important because he is more in touch with his first impression of the game then anyone else on the forum. What you (experienced players of the forum) should realise is that he is seeing things through fresh eyes, so what you take for granted as normal OP is comparing to a realistic expectation. If the game is expected to grow and maintain a player base then we need to listen to people like OP because his idea of a realistic expectation is what might just keep the game down to earth and making plain sense.

First impressions are not a good way to design a game around. Like all types of software you have to use it for a long time before you can truly understand what you have in your hands.

And if you made it realistic, it would not be a fun game.

True. But that is not what I said. I said it’s important to listen to new players’ first impression because they have the best connection with how the game feels when on first plays it. Balance is important but when people come to play a game for the first time they have a set of basic expectations and if something is out of whack then they are more likely to drop the game.

It’s all good and well for us to say what we think but we all know the oddities of the game, therefore, we need the input of those who don’t have that knowledge so that they can help us keep in touch with that set of basic expectations.

• All of us kept playing it because it was good and met our expectations well on the first impression. So….?

• I don’t agree with all of what OP is saying but what I take from his first impression is that some 1h weapons seem a bit powerful compared to some 2h weapons and that some small weapons are a bit awkward to fight against. I can agree with that in part. Look at the pole hammer vs the falchion. Falchion swings seem comparable.

In terms of small weapons like daggers they can be hard to fight against.

In my view all weapons should be able to deliver savage blows even if they are small, such as the falchion does, but I don’t believe that a falchion would do as much swing damage as a Pole hammer…

Knives/daggers can be hard to deal with at face hug range but I think that’s the way it should be, however, I think the combat would work better in that scenario if there was weapon clashing - two attacks coming together weapon on weapon nullifying both attacks with no flinch penalty.

On top of this I think some weapons could use a visual remodel.
    Take the falchion for example: its visually the size of a gladius or scimitar but behaves like a falchion should. So visually its not matching up with its effectiveness. This goes for the war hammer also which looks more like a domestic household hammer then a war hammer.

Another gripe I have is with javelin stabs… The model of the tip of the weapon penetrates a stationary target with a stab but no hit registers. So if its intended to be that way then make the model shorter so it matches its tracer.

Same goes for the buckler. Its visual model should match its hit box. If its intended to be the way it is now then model a mechanic that shows an ineffectual buckler block being overpowered. This would give a visual queue as to why a block with the buckler didn’t work.

One word. Contiguity.

• @Jstorm:

Oh I’ve read the forums. And played the game a bit more than you probably think. First off these are some pretty terrible forums full of immature BS and childish name calling, kind of like you find in the game itself at times.

I guess I hoped the game would have a slightly different atmosphere than your typical FPS junior high school crowd of hormonally challenged hyper aggressive twits, but it seems even the somewhat historical basis for the game can’t filter out the stupid from the interwebs.

Perhaps my expectations were incorrect. I simply see a lot of potential in this game beyond “har har let’s hit each other over the head with large weapons”…but as with most things on the internet the audience ends up limiting the direction and scope of a project and drags it all down to the lowest common denominator of expectation.

• I am new too… really new ( started last night ) but I don’t agree at all with the OP. The exact opposite actually. if anything the stronger historically 1 handers… axe and mace should get tiny buffs

I started with bow and quickly saw it has a high learning curve so Ive moved to 1 handed axe. Some vets advised me too try VG as it has a smaller learning curve vs MAA but I’m stubborn and am persisting. Ive always had a crush historically on the danish axe and should be able to use it tonite. I don’t understand the OP…If I hit you 2 times in the head with an axe you need to die. I have to be closeee to get that swing off

So could the OP explain how its unrealistic if your brain gets popped twice with an axe you shouldn’t die? I think its possible your just getting beaten down by hardcore FPS’ers…MAA is challenging for them. So ah respectfully I think your getting out played. Good news is one lucky swing from that 2 hander and theyre down

Vet 2 handers murder me on my MAA with better footskills or charge and overwhelm me. If the 1 handers get nerfed at all no one will use them. As it stands now on the NA servers most ppl use 2 handers. They can get multiple kills in one swing with ONE hit from a big 2 hander if I dont combo or dodge I’m so dead and the 2 hander hit detection range is LARGE especially that devil 2 handed sword.

I think this game is amazing and going in the right direction. Me personally Id like to see more complicated maps and rewards for winning/ranking/getting xp if thought out well, the ranking system needs work too I went from 3 to 17 instantly and I dont feel like ive earned it. Im terrible =)

• When talking of ‘balance’, do not mention ‘realism’ in the same sentence, nor, the same paragraph, in fact, not ever.

If you want realism - go outside. You will find it to be quite harsh and unfair.

• It wouldn’t be so bad if one handed weapons weren’t flat out better than anything else. Faster is always better and the speed that they can stab and interrupt just negates anything that any other weapon can do.

• Lol realism. Yes, the game is unrealistic. If it were realistic, you wouldn’t have autobalance, respawning, reticule, health regeneration, indestructable shields and weapons, the ability to simply choose to be a knight, and one good hit from pretty much any weapon would stagger you and maybe break a limb (good luck fighting on when that happens).

That said, they should nerf the MAA by removing their weapons altogether.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@lemonater47:

MAAs are 1v1 masters

Statistics show otherwise.

Who needs statistics when butthurt is a lot more reliable indicator?

• I’d quote statistics, but considering tournaments account for less than 0.00001% of duels….

It’s like picking a random duel between a random good Knight, and a random good MAA, calling it a tournament, watching the Knight win, just once, and saying, YEP STATISTICS, because that’s essentially what tournaments are, right, just a bunch of duels between two good players? There has yet to be a ‘tournament’ which contains ALL of the top players, until then, all ‘statistics’ are bogus.

• @Cancrizans:

"har har let’s hit each other over the head with large weapons

Hueahueahuea har har har!