New game mode

• NEW GAME MODE: so i was wondering, what chivalry would be like with an open field game mode. It is basically team death match but with a twist that is the teams are full scale armies. It would be cool if the armies were filled in by players and the bots to make the numbers. The idea of charging against a full force in a open field with everything going on seems appealing to me and a number of friends and people which i have spoken to on the games servers. The objective would be to kill the king and either rout or kill all the enemy forces. Just an idea, it would be great if it was put in, or at least aspects of what i described.

• play moor on a 64 player server

• Not really optimized enough for this. The game lags badly past 30 or so people in a server.

• Yeah for sure, a good idea but impossible at the current state of the game. Most players I know don’t have computers that can run anything larger than a 10-man game.

• Yeah I have a high end custom-built gaming/workstation machine and I drop to 45 fps in 64 player servers. I don’t think this idea will work well for Chivalry, even though the concept is awesome.

• Yeah, I wish… But it lags enough as is for me when playing with too many players.

Though in the future, it would be awesome if there could be hundreds of players at the same time on some huge kind of map. I haven’t played Planetside 2, but something akin to what I’ve heard about that - “supports hundreds of players in continuous large scale conflict”

Though maybe a bit more organized, I’ve seen my friend play it briefly. It looked chaotic unless a bunch of friends or a clan played. I’m thinking something like Red Orchestra 2 as well. You have squad leaders and one guy who can be the general. There’s an online campaign where you fight on small maps on a bigger world map, taking over territories and if you win, you can invade the next part of the world map or defend the one you just conquered against a counter-attack. I like the concept. I wonder how it could be done in a medieval type of game with hundreds of players. There would need to be SOME kind of structure to it, so it isn’t like a regular Team Deathmatch where tactics are rarely involved. I find Last Team Standing more tactical, but it’s no fun if you die early, especially when the last guy is always running around or hiding.

Anyways, in the future, many years from now when Torn Banner Studios is a lot bigger and wealthier, they could make a huge game like this, involving cavalry and having people work in formation and having assigned team leaders in the battlefield to command sections and even a king to command the team leaders. They would get a special voice command menu for that, and when using them they also show up as commands on the screen.

Oh well, a boy can dream…

• ok, so i admit maybe maybe my last idea was not the most achievable thing fr torn banner at the moment. However i was also thinking of the idea of in the map battlegrounds, actually going on into the castle and possibly adding siege towers to add more style.

• @robbo56:

ok, so i admit maybe maybe my last idea was not the most achievable thing fr torn banner at the moment. However i was also thinking of the idea of in the map battlegrounds, actually going on into the castle and possibly adding siege towers to add more style.

A lot of people want a continuation of Battlegrounds. Torn Banner is not going to change that map though, so siege towers and stuff is out of the question. What they could do is that they make a new map that is a direct continuation of Battlegrounds, which takes place entirely on the streets of the city where you are supposed to, I dunno, reach the city hall and slay the Mason field marshall or traitorous Agathian governor or something. That would be awesome, especially if there’s a lot of cramped streets and alleyways and indoor fighting. Mix that with civilians running about (which Agathians CAN’T kill, they are Agathian citizens), thick smoke from buildings on fire and Mason barricades everywhere.

Oh, and a lot of people also want a game mode that is just all about sieges. Torn Banner likes the idea, not making a game mode out of it, but just making more siege maps. IIRC.

• How about adding horses to the game, i mean riding on horse back would be awesome. Archers and knights could ride, but also they could make a jousting game mode out of it.

• @robbo56:

How about adding horses to the game, i mean riding on horse back would be awesome. Archers and knights could ride, but also they could make a jousting game mode out of it.

Not gonna happen, that would have needed to been planned from the beginning of development. Riding on horses is a pretty big feature. The maps aren’t designed for it, the combat isn’t designed for it. But I agree, it would be cool. If there ever is a Chivalry 2 in 10 years, maybe we can ride horses then.