Servers: Disappointment

• I´m going to talk about just those servers that are wihting 100ms ping to my location, that is Prague:

1) Lags
    Some people lately have been reporting that the official servers tend to lag. I can confirm that but it´s not the biggest issue I want to point out.

2) Servers I don´t want to play on
    Are all “Classic” servers. This is the biggest bullshit anyone could ever make. Why would anyone want to play randomly all gamemodes is beyond me. Sadly, about half of the playerbase withing 100 ms plays there…

3) Lack of players
    I wanted to play FFA right now. Sadly, all the FFA servers were empty. I understand it, but find it very inconvenient to not be able to play whatever you want whenever you want…

4) Overcrowded TO

I´m 70% TO guy that does not have the best PC to play Chivalry on 32 TO servers. Sadly, the majority of the players that are withing 100 ms play there…

Conclusion
    I feel very limited :( . I have to spend a lot of time looking for a server to play on and sometimes I don´t even find one.

Solution
    We need more players. More players mean more servers. More players mean there will always be someone who plays the game at any point.

• Move to New Zealand or Australia. Prime time there’s always at least two FFA server, several TO servers if you lucky a 24 size one, duel servers, sometimes a classic duel server and the full rotation/classic servers. 25 of our servers are all owner by one company. We only have 3 official servers. Usually empty too (we are supposed to have more).

But there’s always lots of players on.

• @funthomass:

Solution
    We need more players. More players mean more servers. More players mean there will always be someone who plays the game at any point.

Man I agree, but it’s difficult at this point. I came back after a free weekend to play this game and there were consistently more players, but now they’re all level 14-ish and there is no new stream of players.

It’s really hard to develop a player base on a game that was known for bugs (I’m not saying I think it was properly labeled, especially by the standard of games of today). If you can get potential newbies past the “I heard this game was full of bugs” thing and they purchase the game they then still come into a game and get pwnd by people who have 200-700 hours more than they do in a skill based game. It takes a special kind of person to continue on beating after beating, and I could see how it seems you can’t possibly ever catch up.

Do you have any ideas on how you would attract new players? I don’t want to call this game doomed as “niche” but I think there are a special variety of people who enjoy this kind of game, and especially with the kind of punishment and rage this title brings on.

• @quigleyer:

@funthomass:

Solution

Man I agree, but it’s difficult at this point. I came back after a free weekend to play this game and there were consistently more players, but now they’re all level 14-ish and there is no new stream of players.

It’s really hard to develop a player base on a game that was known for bugs (I’m not saying I think it was properly labeled, especially by the standard of games of today). If you can get potential newbies past the “I heard this game was full of bugs” thing and they purchase the game they then still come into a game and get pwnd by people who have 200-700 hours more than they do in a skill based game. It takes a special kind of person to continue on beating after beating, and I could see how it seems you can’t possibly ever catch up.

Do you have any ideas on how you would attract new players? I don’t want to call this game doomed as “niche” but I think there are a special variety of people who enjoy this kind of game, and especially with the kind of punishment and rage this title brings on.

Customization and new maps will bring more attention to the game, that I am sure of.
    Otherwise, we´ll just have to wait and see what the gameplay is gonna look like after we have the patch live.

• @funthomass:

Customization and new maps will bring more attention to the game, that I am sure of.
    Otherwise, we´ll just have to wait and see what the gameplay is gonna look like after we have the patch live.

I think new maps will help bring back older players for a short time, but if the game isn’t stuck on them already I think it would have to be a ton of new maps to significantly bump the player base back up.

By customization are you referring to customizing your “character” or are you referring to mod tools? I think the mod tools will do wonders for this game, but I’m concerned it’s going to be too late by the time they are finally released. The choice between developing your game/perfecting it and putting out the mod tools is not a good one to have to make- I think the only “right” answer would be to do both quickly. It’s too bad that’s just not possible with the studio at the moment (and I think that’s completely understandable).

I’m hoping that they’re still intending to do “character” customization, but think that’s not as important right now (but I could see how it could just as well be, this is just my opinion).

I’m itching badly for new maps myself. I’d be stoked for player created content or developer created content at this point.

• Why the hate on Classic servers? I ALWAYS play on them. Are you one of those types who only likes 24/7 maps?

I prefer variety. Doing some balls out TO mode’ing, then having a random FFA to run around chopping limbs, it’s a nice mix.

• I liked the Classic servers before the last patch. Before it was 2 To then another gamemode then two TO, now it’s one gamemode at a time, TO then every other friggen gamemode in a row then back to TO. That’s the only reason I hate the classic servers now.

• Yeah I found the maplist order to be a bit weird, seemed to practically always be on some variation of the bloody arena lol.

Shuffle that up a bit to split out the TO modes and it will be pretty nice again. Will prod Kimmeh and ask if that can be done.

Edit: Kimmeh is on the case. Have asked for the maps to be spread around a lot more so there’s variety between the modes and maps, rather than playing the variations of the same map practically all together. :)

• Uhh ooohh…

All Australian servers are empty this morning, That makes it very herd to keep a game going…

• Alright, moved around and restarted. Let me know if it worked O.o

• @Kimiko:

Alright, moved around and restarted. Let me know if it worked O.o

That cat looks really sad :(

• @bada:

@Kimiko:

Alright, moved around and restarted. Let me know if it worked O.o

That cat looks really sad :(

bada… where you been?? And yes, poor kitty :( But oh so cute at the same time :3

• @Kimiko:

bada… where you been?? And yes, poor kitty :( But oh so cute at the same time :3

You see nothing!

• I really would like to see Tavern beeing added to the classic server. Why isn’t it?

• @bada:

@Kimiko:

You see nothing!

Ninja… poof

@sorry_lad:

I really would like to see Tavern beeing added to the classic server. Why isn’t it?

I can add that in :)

• @Kimiko:

That would be great, but only if the others agree.
    Thanks.

• @sorry_lad:

@Kimiko:

Thanks.

It should be in there anyways. Right now it’s only on the FFA servers. Classic should have a nice mix.

• @Kimiko:

@sorry_lad:

@Kimiko:

Thanks.

It should be in there anyways. Right now it’s only on the FFA servers. Classic should have a nice mix.

And now I understand. I don’t think I’ve ever joined an FFA server and usually play classic. 400 hours and I don’t even know what the tavern looks like.

Please please throw it in there, I would love to play it.

Thanks for changing these up like this. Should make the experience better!

• If we’re taking requests - would love to see more FFA maps in the rotation, too.

• @BillDoor:

If we’re taking requests - would love to see more FFA maps in the rotation, too.

This is what’s currently in - Not going to put map names just modes:

2 - KOTH
    5 - TO
    4 - FFA (including Tavern)
    3 - TDM
    2 - LTS