Art style question

• hi, i notice that the screenshots show off wonderful templar knight model, yet in the artwork for this website, which i assume are character concepts, it shows high medieval plate armor. i was wondering, how will you reconcile these two types of armors styles from two periods separated by more than a century?

don’t get me wrong, i think the character art looks incredible and so does the character model, but will there be some kind of amalgamation going on?

thanks

• Developer

The art style is in tune to the game’s design concept as a whole, we are not aiming to create a factual recreation of medieval Europe, instead our game takes place in the fictional land of Agatha. Our art style rules are described on the team as “Hollywood realistic”, meaning that, complete realism or historical accuracy is not the goal, instead we aim to produce assets that could feasibly have existed in that time. Hope that answers your questions!

• Well, crusaders also dressed the way they did for comfort since they had to walk long distances…
    And also, the crusader will have Mason and Agathia colors, right?

• but you will make use of real items as well right?

i see the templar knight has a naked head. perhaps wearing helmets is part of the “player customization” feature you are talking about. if that is the case, i have just a suggestion, that maybe pot helmets or kettle helmets be included. thank you.

• @cinco:

but you will make use of real items as well right?

i see the templar knight has a naked head. perhaps wearing helmets is part of the “player customization” feature you are talking about. if that is the case, i have just a suggestion, that maybe pot helmets or kettle helmets be included. thank you.

We got this one :

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4999/88821579.jpg

• Yeah, I can just imagine sliding my sword through that slit… straight into the BRAIN… perhaps that could be some kind of finishing move(not just the same ol decap).

• @Ironclaw:

Yeah, I can just imagine sliding my sword through that slit… straight into the BRAIN… perhaps that could be some kind of finishing move(not just the same ol decap).

That would be pretty badass.

• @Justin_Paplus:

@cinco:

but you will make use of real items as well right?

We got this one :

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4999/88821579.jpg

that looks nice. a pothelm would be excellent

• @Ironclaw:

Yeah, I can just imagine sliding my sword through that slit… straight into the BRAIN… perhaps that could be some kind of finishing move(not just the same ol decap).

So it would be like headstab or something?
    I admit it sounds (and is) cool, but wouldn’t it look just the same, if you would stab him in the forehead?
    How do u think it would work as a finishing move (in multiplayer)?

• Halo Reach made a cool way of doing finishing moves…if you’re coming from behind and hold the pistol whip button then it shows you in 3rd person killing the player in a cool and interesting way…it would actually look pretty cool in Chivalry but I think it would take time away from the battle and leave you open for attack…

• @finchy86:

Halo Reach made a cool way of doing finishing moves…if you’re coming from behind and hold the pistol whip button then it shows you in 3rd person killing the player in a cool and interesting way…it would actually look pretty cool in Chivalry but I think it would take time away from the battle and leave you open for attack…

Actually i think that’s a fu**king awesome idea. :D
    Ofc it should be voluntary, like it would do this finishing move from a certain button.
    And in case somebody goes and says it, no invulnerability during this time would be a bad idea, it would brake the combat flow.

• Actually in Halo: Reach the assassinations like would only occur if you held down the melee button when you hit them from behind, otherwise if you just tap the melee button when behind them it’s like a normal melee hit and kills them like a normal assassination would, so it is voluntary and it doesn’t make you invincible, it’s purely aesthetic, eye candy. Also it makes for some great screen shots.

• @icedmetal57:

Actually in Halo: Reach the assassinations like would only occur if you held down the melee button when you hit them from behind, otherwise if you just tap the melee button when behind them it’s like a normal melee hit and kills them like a normal assassination would, so it is voluntary and it doesn’t make you invincible, it’s purely aesthetic, eye candy. Also it makes for some great screen shots.

Exactly.

• @icedmetal57:

Actually in Halo: Reach the assassinations like would only occur if you held down the melee button when you hit them from behind, otherwise if you just tap the melee button when behind them it’s like a normal melee hit and kills them like a normal assassination would, so it is voluntary and it doesn’t make you invincible, it’s purely aesthetic, eye candy. Also it makes for some great screen shots.

haha I meant to explain it but I didn’t

• Slitting somebodies throat, lopping somebodies head off, dramatic backstab. Or just slash the enemy, and he falls down on the ground, and then some cool finishing move like I dunno, stomping on his face.
    (Or a large hammer in the face.)

Those would be awesome, impractical but cool.

• I doubt it could be this intricate, but still it would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ha7LYwHEU&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATkBzr6 … re=channel

Ignore the hidden blade ones I guess.

• @Sir:

I doubt it could be this intricate, but still it would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ha7LYwHEU&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATkBzr6 … re=channel

Ignore the hidden blade ones I guess.

Nut cracker would be cool and funny.
    Butt Out for the spearmen. (except you would take the spear back.)

I too doubt that they will add this to the game, but I think it would be awesome.

• It will kill the flow of the game and stop dreaming please. CQFD

• Ok, so it could work entirely in first person, or go into third person.

The entire sequence of Forcing that sword into their brain would only take an extra 2 seconds.

So it could either be first person (if possible, and this is preferred… and might be possible due to the different engine) or third person. It’s exactly as you imagine, either the killer slides the sword through the slit into the helmet with both hands, and then there is a metallic thud as the sword hits the back of the helmet. Or the killer could hold the victims head and quickly ram his sword through the victims helm and out the back.

• It seems to me like you focus more on fancy mancy shit than the actual gameplay :P