Enhancing and Sustaining Competitive Play

• As we are all aware, the competitive scene in Chivalry is miniscule. Everyone knows everyone and we do our best to make it work. This upcoming tournament is the first with a cash prize, which is a step in the right direction, but the scene is still smaller than it was a few months ago. People are moving on to other games because of the lack of excitement in competitive play.

My proposed solution is simple: redesign the main menu and add a “news” sidebar that has upcoming tournaments and events on it (once there are more of them that is) and clans can post if they are recruiting and what they are looking for, when tryouts are, etc. I was told that Torn Banner was going to start supporting the competitive side of Chiv and start organizing events, so the main menu redesign will tie in nicely with that if they want to advertise their own events and tournaments. I’ve seen many of the same people on pubs that are relatively high rank for months. I’m sure these people and others who like the game and see these announcements on the news tab would jump at the chance to join a clan and play in high level games if they knew about it.

For Chivalry to sustain it’s competitive scene and it’s player base in general in the future, it needs to be known as something other than a silly hack n slash where you can taunt people and explode their head with your fists. Once more people realize how deep the combat is and how fun high level play can be, the game will grow, at least in terms of dedicated players.

So my plea to you Torn Banner, please implement this simple idea. I heard that you were asking for players to advertise the competitive scene, well this can be your contribution. Ours is having clan servers and going into pubs in groups with tags. We would love to have more players to compete against and a more lively scrim and tournament scene, and I’m sure you would love nothing more than having your game be seen more on Youtube and just be loved and played by more people.

• I hate in game advertisements.

And what do you mean this upcoming tournament is the first with a cash prize? No it ain’t. There were toruniments with cash prizes as far back as November.

• I wasn’t aware of cash prizes before now and a few people were saying this was the first one, but I guess I was misinformed.

Anyway, it’s not “in-game advertisements” since it’s not asking people to buy a product or service. It’s simply making people that already own the game aware of other possibilities that they could participate in if they wish. Many games have similar news tabs in the main menu and it’s never bothered me. I either ignore it or read if I’m interested. And if you have a better suggestion to make people aware of and participate in the competitive scene I would love to hear it.

• @The:

I wasn’t aware of cash prizes before now and a few people were saying this was the first one, but I guess I was misinformed.

Anyway, it’s not “in-game advertisements” since it’s not asking people to buy a product or service. It’s simply making people that already own the game aware of other possibilities that they could participate in if they wish. Many games have similar news tabs in the main menu and it’s never bothered me. I either ignore it or read if I’m interested. And if you have a better suggestion to make people aware of and participate in the competitive scene I would love to hear it.

They probably mean its the organisers first competition with a cash prize.

Have you heard of the chat window? I know one clan who was organising a massive 5v5 competition here found good players in Game and then said that there’s a competition where you can win money.

And many clan members try desperatly to get good pub players in their clans. Most I the good players who aren’t in a clan now dot want to be and they don’t want to be competitive.

• Yes, it’s a good idea. Get people interested.

But to be honest I don’t believe it’ll be necessary. The reason chivalry has such a small competitive community is because the game just contains so many screwed up mechanics (feint, lookdowns etc) which discourage people from taking this game seriously.

The beta is looking very promising. I reckon after the patch the competitive community will begin to grow on its own.

• @Bloodhead:

Yes, it’s a good idea. Get people interested.

But to be honest I don’t believe it’ll be necessary. The reason chivalry has such a small competitive community is because the game just contains so many screwed up mechanics (feint, lookdowns etc) which discourage people from taking this game seriously.

The beta is looking very promising. I reckon after the patch the competitive community will begin to grow on its own.

I really don’t think you could be more wrong. The “screwed up mechanics” are the only reason Chivalry is even competitively viable and not a casual joke. If the beta changes go through like this there will be no reason to play the game any more.

The reason the chiv competitive community is quite small (and it’s not that small really) is because there’s still a lot of bugs, and basically no developer support of competitive features. We need stuff like proper spectating, demo record features, balanced maps, more maps, competitive game-modes (timer mode), and probably some form of competitive matchmaking too.

It’s not a traditional game at all, which means it’s hard for competitive players to find and get into (unlike mobas and FPS games), so you really need developers to show a focus on competitive play.

• @NabsterHax:

@Bloodhead:

I really don’t think you could be more wrong. The “screwed up mechanics” are the only reason Chivalry is even competitively viable and not a casual joke. If the beta changes go through like this there will be no reason to play the game any more.

The reason the chiv competitive community is quite small (and it’s not that small really) is because there’s still a lot of bugs, and basically no developer support of competitive features. We need stuff like proper spectating, demo record features, balanced maps, more maps, competitive game-modes (timer mode), and probably some form of competitive matchmaking too.

It’s not a traditional game at all, which means it’s hard for competitive players to find and get into (unlike mobas and FPS games), so you really need developers to show a focus on competitive play.

I think he’s right. All the bugs, nonsensical exploits, feints turn me and many others off from any possible competitive scene in this game.

• @Dr.Nick:

@NabsterHax:

@Bloodhead:

I think he’s right. All the bugs, nonsensical exploits, feints turn me and many others off from any possible competitive scene in this game.

Maybe… but TB are overdoing it imo. They make the gameplay ineffectual with their changes. Nabster is right, even for good players it’s already hard to play against several enemies and you easily get killed by noobs even if you know what you’re doing because TB are trying to make this game as easy for beginners as possible. If they continue like this, the game will become pointless for competitive players. And TB won’t add a demofeature for instance because it would be ‘too much work’.

• @Dr.Nick:

@NabsterHax:

@Bloodhead:

agree. chiv as it is now with all the exploits is an ok game, 7/10. if the exploits are fixed it will become a great 9/10 game. exploits r why players leave, not the other way round. i am only hanging around bec fixes are incoming, otherwise i would already be gone.

• agree. chiv as it is now with all the exploits is an ok game, 7/10. if the exploits are fixed it will become a great 9/10 game. exploits r why players leave, not the other way round. i am only hanging around bec fixes are incoming, otherwise i would already be gone.

Same.