AI question

• How do you spawn those AI seen in the training mission, or other maps, that have idle animations, where they stand still doing nothing? :?

• Developer

There are Kismet nodes. You can see them in use in Stoneshill and in the tutorial (and Tavern and DF use the purely stationary variants). There’s some amount of scripting you can do though, and you can have NPCs play animations (though that might not be working properly). The AI scripting system is somewhat rough because it’s only really used in those maps; bot scripting in a multiplayer title is a bit of a lower priority :D

• Thanks for your reply Crusty. I will do some more digging. 8-)

• Ugh, I still can’t seem to get it to work. :x

• Why do you have a picture of pebbles and a 20c piece? Also I presume you’re Australian because it’s AUS currency?

• I still need help on this. :(

Where is Andrew when you need him?

• I am going to be doing more example maps in the very near future. I will try to at least get you the node names in the mean time.

You need a path node to spawn them on, the rest is done in kismet with actions.

Spawn NPC
    and
    Spawn NPC Kill Objective

Attach them to a death event if you want to be able to kill them (consistently)

NPC Play Anim

• I will anxiously wait for your example maps. I have spawned everything, but the NPCs don’t play their anims, they just sit there with their arms out. :|

Thanks for your help!

• Developer

You should probably use Spawn Standard Bot and the ‘kill objective’ variant thereof, actually. Spawn NPC is older, and doesn’t automatically set up animations or anything else.

Spawn Standard Bot is very easy to use: just set up the team, familyinfo (i.e. class), weapons, hook it up to a spawn point in Kismet (AOCPlayerStart or just a PathNode), and you should be good.

Edit: You can also change the controller if you want to. AOCAICombatController is the normal fighting bot, AOCAIController_NPC is what we use in Stoneshill. There’s one that just stays in one location, though if you’re doing that you probably just want to use a skeletal mesh actor instead (we use it for the royal families in DF, while we just use SkeletalMeshActors for the slaves in Citadel)…

• @CrustaceanSoup:

You should probably use Spawn Standard Bot and the ‘kill objective’ variant thereof, actually. Spawn NPC is older, and doesn’t automatically set up animations or anything else.

Spawn Standard Bot is very easy to use: just set up the team, familyinfo (i.e. class), weapons, hook it up to a spawn point in Kismet (AOCPlayerStart or just a PathNode), and you should be good.

Edit: You can also change the controller if you want to. AOCAICombatController is the normal fighting bot, AOCAIController_NPC is what we use in Stoneshill. There’s one that just stays in one location, though if you’re doing that you probably just want to use a skeletal mesh actor instead (we use it for the royal families in DF, while we just use SkeletalMeshActors for the slaves in Citadel)…

Good call. Forgot how many redundant actors we have. Was just viewing Dark Forest for the node.

• @Andrew:

I am going to be doing more example maps in the very near future.

:D

• Developer

@Andrew:

Good call. Forgot how many redundant actors we have. Was just viewing Dark Forest for the node.

IIRC, the Tutorial uses the newer node (being one of the last ‘maps’ added before release).