New "Commander" Class for TO

• How does this sound:

A new “commander” class with similar stats as the Knight class, but with fancier armor and possibly a unique sword?

This would only be available on TO maps and would have floating objective-style text above his head saying something like “Follow”. Other players who are in a certain proximity to this Commander get a bonus. Perhaps health regenerating twice as fast or 10% bonus on all attacks etc.

It wouldn’t be a class you can pick, at the start of the map it would be assigned to the highest ranking player on each team. If that player leaves then it could go to the next player with the most points.

It would be helpful for TO tactics which can sometimes be non-existent on public servers, as even new players could see the “Follow” text and it would encourage a team to attack / defend an objective as a unit, rather than individually.

It would be cool if the Commander had it’s own voice commands, but I know that’d mean paying a new voice actor etc…

Thoughts?

• Go play battlefield 4.

• Nah, I like my killing up close and personal :D

• No thanks. People seem to hit me in the back just fine already without needing a big target telling them where I’ve run away to.

• @NabsterHax:

No thanks. People seem to hit me in the back just fine already without needing a big target telling them where I’ve run away to.

Haha, fair comment. That is a drawback that I somehow missed :o

• The last thing I’d want is a bunch of bardiche-wielding noobies flocking around me.

• Love it. Love it. Love it.

Fancier armour, better helmet, sure, but weapon customisation might be a little tricky. A unique death scream would be pretty cool as well.

This also would really increase the potential for strategy in TO games. Taking out the enemy commander would be the key in large battles.

There would also have to be a ‘votecommander’ option in the console, with the proviso that you can’t nominate yourself. Just in case the commander is useless, afk or just generally disliked for whatever reason.

The only question is what the bonus for nearby teammates should be. More hp or more damage would upset balance, as would higher speed, so those are all no-no’s. I like the idea of faster regen, though - it’s a bonus which is definitely beneficial, doesn’t alter balance at all and encourages regrouping together after fights.

One problem though is what happens when an archer would be commander. An archer would stay away from the fighting and would probably serve little purpose as a commander. So if the highest ranked player chooses to play archer, I say the system should automatically give it to the next highest.

• @dudeface:

The last thing I’d want is a bunch of bardiche-wielding noobies flocking around me.

The bonus radius could be made quite large to try to get around the “flocking” issue…

• I love the idea - but rather than a ‘proximity’ mechanic, to make the bardiche club surround poor dudeface: I have an alternative.

Commander has a ‘command screen’ - basically a simple top down map of the battlefield. He can select players from his team, and set waypoints/objectives for them. If they reach their waypoint, or undertake their objective - they get free blowjobs and pudding. I.e, splitting half the team to go right over the bridge and go for a particular family to murder, or sending a specific high ranking knight and a MAA to guard a particular floodgate pulley, whilst sending a couple other players to harry the enemy in their spawn.

Then the commander can just run in like a nutter and kill things as normal.

Of course theres no incentive in chivalry to do anything like that - so players would just ignore orders entirely: but then this is just yet another example of why the game needs to have more stat tracking, and at least some kind of fecking rewards system: even if it is just titles for certain deeds. As it stands, theres no reason to do anything except fun. Even ranking up is only based on kills - which is just barmy. Welcome to 1995.

• I’m thinking a future medieval game could have something like this. Perhaps Chivalry 2 in ten years. It could take influences from Planetside 2 (which I haven’t played) and Red Orchestra 2. What I know from Planetside is that it is a huge world and that is has hundreds of players at the same time. That aspect I am fond of, but I don’t know a lot about the game otherwise. In Red Orchestra, you can take the role of a Squad Leader and other players can assign themselves to your squad. You can give orders and such as a squad leader, though you don’t really have that much incentive to do so. There’s also a field commander, who call in artillery and stuff like that. This is the aspect I’d like for a medieval game, as well as how the multiplayer campaign works.

So, for Chivalry 2 or similar game, there’d be ONE role of a field commander. The King or the Field Marshal or whatever. This guy is able to look at a map and see all the friendly troops as well as all the enemy troops that your troops can see. You can see them all move on the map. He can click on the map where he wants and be able to send out different orders to different subordinates. Like picking the group “Light Infantry” and tell them to take the nearby village. You can also tell them to withdraw, to defend, and other tactics.

There will be a bunch of subordinate roles, “squad leaders”, that you can pick that will control different types of soldiery. If you want to lead spear sergeants, if you want to lead dismounted knights, mounted men-at-arms, light infantry, heavy infantry, etc. If you’re a squad leader, you will recieve orders from your king, and you will in turn give orders to your “squad”. So you recieve the order to attack the nearby village, it will show up on your screen. “New orders: Attack Village” or something. Depending on your situation on the battlefield, you will pull up your special Voice Command menu (which, as a leader, will have actual commands) and tell your men to follow your squad leader, or if already in a fight, withdraw from that one first. YOUR commands will show up on the screen of your men. You will also be marked with an arrow, much like team objectives.

The gameplay will be altered so that it is very dangerous to stray away from your squad. You might not march around in a perfect square formation, but you would like to stay in a group, and when encountering enemies, hold some kind of line and/or shield wall. If you are left out of a “formation”, you might have a much harder time.

Also, to not abandon your leaders, your squad leader and king will have a radius bonus. The King has the greater and wider one, but if he dies, he has a bigger negative effect. If the king is taking damage, his bonus gets better but the radius gets smaller. So that people rush to protect the king.

Of course, just ideas and it’s a rather rough draft. But it could be cool, a real medieval army simulator.

• No magical aoe buff bullshit pls!

Can we not have a game without all this crappy character skill stuff?

If I made this game there wouldnt be charge and dodge either, just some alteration on movement speed and resists depending on the armor you wear.

• @Towe:

No magical aoe buff bullshit pls!

If I made this game there wouldnt be charge and dodge either, just some alteration on movement speed and resists depending on the armor you wear.

Indeed.

• @Towe:

No magical aoe buff bullshit pls!

I like charge and dodge, fits the characters and helps them play a lil different. Without it we may just have Chivalry: Knight Warfare.

However I agree on having no magical “buff” providing support classes, no to healers too.

Support is ok as long as it’s support in the form of providing damage in some form, or taking hits, but no magical buffs or “Engineer” style classes in this game pl0x, focus should be on the fighting and battle, not running round throwing bandages at people, hitting something with a hammer, or pressing buttons to provide a magical buff.

• As most players are just blindly slaughtering foes as well as friends I’m worrying that this tactical element won’t be succesful.