$20 for Beta access?

• So after finding out I can finally pre-order one of my long awaited games based on one of my favorite mods, Age of Chivalry, I click the pre-purchase button with my card in my hand and am greatly pleased at the price. $30 for what looks like a very solid indie game that, as I said, I have been waiting for years now. I then look down and see the special $50 edition.

$20 for Beta access? How can anyone justify this? I honestly don’t mind this, but it just comes off as greedy. I’ve seen differences in prices on many other games but $20, nearly ANOTHER copy, to play a potentially broken copy of a game 22 days early.

What should I be expecting when the game launches? $20 map packs with 4 new maps? Maybe special unique buy weapons?

I’m holding off purchasing this until someone can honestly justify me paying $20 to help the development of the game by bug reporting and play testing.

This does not look good on the face of an indie game let alone a new company.

• The $50 beta access is to be fair to the people who pledged $50 for early access on Kickstarter. The beta was originally going to be a kickstarter exclusive pledge reward; they only threw up the $50 beta preorder on their website when the demand for beta keys after the kickstarter ended was so high that people were buying them off other members of the community who had extras. If you consider that a greedy decision I suppose that’s your opinion.

• I never said it was greedy. I was saying it comes off as greedy. Paying an extra $20 to support an indie game is great. But having Beta access as an incentive, just doesn’t look very good.

• See, but you’re missing the point. It originally was just an incentive to support the game.

The kickstarter preorder was $5 cheaper, too, so the beta access preorder was twice the cost of the game during the campaign. You could throw in an extra $75 and get a t-shirt with your preorder. Does selling t-shirts for $75 come off as greedy? ;)

Again, the preorder with beta access is just up there for those who missed the kickstarter and still want the game early. If they offered beta access for $30 (or $35, or any amount under 50) it wouldn’t be fair to those who pledged before the beta was even an ongoing thing, just because they wanted to support the development of the game.

• Right. But as a person who doesn’t know that (Me being one of them, obviously), looking at the prices, comes of as greedy.

• The way I look at it. And the way I justify spending 20$ for beta access is the fact that I played at least 100 hours of the free Age of Chivalry mod. So when this comes along I’m so excited and I feel like 50 dollars is the least I can pay to compensate for the amount of enjoyment I’ve gotten out of just the mod.

• Developer

Just to clarify, the $50 instant access isn’t truly meant to be appealing to the general public. The goal there is simply to allow those who missed out on Kickstarter have the option to support us, this is after many requests from our community for this.

The size of our beta is just about perfect for our team size as well, so we didn’t want too many more players as it would become harder to interact with them and be personable. So apologize for it coming across as a money grab, its really not meant to be. Only intended as an option to support the development team further if you would like to. It’s not long until release so please if your goal is not to support the developers beyond the price of the game then don’t choose that option.

• @Tibberius:

Just to clarify, the $50 instant access isn’t truly meant to be appealing to the general public. The goal there is simply to allow those who missed out on Kickstarter have the option to support us, this is after many requests from our community for this.

The size of our beta is just about perfect for our team size as well, so we didn’t want too many more players as it would become harder to interact with them and be personable. So apologize for it coming across as a money grab, its really not meant to be. Only intended as an option to support the development team further if you would like to. It’s not long until release so please if your goal is not to support the developers beyond the price of the game then don’t choose that option.

Is there an option for another 4 pack?

Already had 1 lol (would of bought 2) but kickstarter wouldn’t let me :P

So any plans for 1? Price makes it tempting for more -KoTrT- :P