Never ban 3rd person again, and here's why…

• 1st vs. 3rd person view. Much controversy, and I used to spearhead it. I advocated 1st person view for months, until recently details sunk into my brain like a sponge.

In 1st person view, you can die due to many silly things, that you shouldn’t die to, this prompted me to rebel against 1st person.

Let me tell you the crux first: You can’t tell what’s being hit in first person view. The limbs you see in 3rd are fake, and your real limbs can be hit when the enemy seemingly only hit thin air in-front of you. I can’t tell you how many times someone who wasn’t lagging ended me because he hit my imaginary body, which I could not see properly.
    The fact is, 1st person is flawed. It’s weak, and impure. I mean no offense, I understand it has the potential to be superior, but in its current state it isn’t. It’s too flawed to be considered ‘pure’, and thus, 3rd person view should be default, and allowed in every ladder/tournament/people’s hearts.

Yes, third person removes certain challenges, like information retrieval, immersion, and sneaking up on people properly.
    Remember field of view and wider pixel moniters also add alien perceptive abilities, so it’s not only third… but uhh, moving on.

What you gain: The ability to perceive your body and know what hits you/doesn’t hit you better.
    Less getting backstabbed by classes with leather shoes (it’s still effective though, just less effective).
    Fights becoming less luck based (chances taken turning camera away from enemy), and thus, more skilled.
    Skill paying off more, in the sense that, because of extra vision you gain access to many new techniques, while not really removing any techniques 1st person users could use.

3rd person is fairer, more balanced, and should definitely be the default view for not only casual gameplay, but especially competitive gameplay because of its balance and raised skill cap.

Please, if you disagree with me, tell me. This is a new opinion I’ve developed, and would like to work out its kinks. I truly beleive it becomes the default, until 1st person view is strong enough, and perfect enough to be the competitive standard.

• It’s up to the server admins to do that for their server.

Most competitive servers ban 3rd person. Sometimes I find a general server that bans 3rd person too.

Go find a different server.

• The way I see it is that facehugging is the bane of this game. First person is not designed to deal with it and even the whole combat system does not thrive from playing in 1st person. In real life you can control your vision (and you have much more vision) independently from your body. This is simply not possible in Chivalry and first person players really suffer from this.

But I don´t know, I play 1st person exclusively, I´m just used to it and I have more fun with it. Personally I feel that the developers should decide between those 2 types of view and only allow us one view. Then there would be no such discussion such as this…

• Tell that to games.on.net.

They also ban fists. :(

No offence but have you heard of parry? I really don’t have a problem with my arms getting hit. You learn where you actually are and you block their attack.

• Ok. I disagree.

• I use first-person to be more precise. Usually works better for vanguards and archers.
    I use third-person to be more fierce. Knight and MAA is best for this one.

If the server admins want to disable third-person so everyone can play on the same level, it’s their decisions.

• @NoVaLombardia:

It’s up to the server admins to do that for their server.

Most competitive servers ban 3rd person. Sometimes I find a general server that bans 3rd person too.

Go find a different server.

REALLY? HERPA DER, DURPIDYDUURRR! smacks face on desk
    (point of thread flew over your head)

• @funthomass:

The way I see it is that facehugging is the bane of this game. First person is not designed to deal with it and even the whole combat system does not thrive from playing in 1st person. In real life you can control your vision (and you have much more vision) independently from your body. This is simply not possible in Chivalry and first person players really suffer from this.

But I don´t know, I play 1st person exclusively, I´m just used to it and I have more fun with it. Personally I feel that the developers should decide between those 2 types of view and only allow us one view. Then there would be no such discussion such as this…

This is true. In Chivalry we can’t hear the sword passing through the wind, and we get killed by thrusts slice in silly places, but nothing breaks it for me more than being hit by an attack that killed me when I narrowly avoided it on purpose. The blade didn’t hit me, he wasn’t lagging… I didn’t take into account that my animations are completely different than what they appear on my screen, and he clipped my ‘real’ character.

I’d vote third, but if no one had such an incredibly huge advantage, I could live with first I guess. I’d be caning for a patch though.

• @Unther:

I use first-person to be more precise. Usually works better for vanguards and archers.
    I use third-person to be more fierce. Knight and MAA is best for this one.

If the server admins want to disable third-person so everyone can play on the same level, it’s their decisions.

Oh look, a post completely out of context.
    On a scale of 1 to dumb, how dumb do you feel right now?

• @lemonater47:

Tell that to games.on.net.

No offence but have you heard of parry? I really don’t have a problem with my arms getting hit. You learn where you actually are and you block their attack.

Maybe I will talk to game.on.net, that’s not a bad idea.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say in the second paragraph.

• @DeminRamst:

@lemonater47:

Tell that to games.on.net.

Maybe I will talk to game.on.net, that’s not a bad idea.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say in the second paragraph.

What I’m trying to say is have you not realised how big your character is after all these hundreds of hours of play.

You should have a feel for the game by now and you should know when to block and where weapons can actually hit you. I haven’t heard anyone complain about this. And you have only just started complaining.

There aren’t many videos games out there where the 1st person is the same as what everyone else sees in 3rd person.

• 3rd person has it’s own problems though, especially when people face down all the time to spam fast overheads.

I agree in so much that the animation of 1st and 3rd should be in sync. I don’t need to see the sword held out in front of me as I’m running, I prefer the default guard you see in 3rd anyway.

• I play 3rd person because you have a more realistic perception of your surroundings then. In real life, you see about 180 degrees in front of you. I think it might be a little less, I dunno. I first person, you just see straight ahead, you don’t have peripheral vision which is important for survival. It’s really annoying and disorientating for me in 1st person, it feels like this. In 3rd person, I pick the option that places my soldier in the middle, so that I get the correct view on both sides, and I see when people attack me from the sides, just like in real life.

I also enjoy seeing how my soldiers looks like, as well as how he holds his weapons in 3rd person.

• @SavageBeatings:

I play 3rd person because you have a more realistic perception of your surroundings then. In real life, you see about 180 degrees in front of you. I think it might be a little less, I dunno. I first person, you just see straight ahead, you don’t have peripheral vision which is important for survival. It’s really annoying and disorientating for me in 1st person, it feels like this. In 3rd person, I pick the option that places my soldier in the middle, so that I get the correct view on both sides, and I see when people attack me from the sides, just like in real life.

I also enjoy seeing how my soldiers looks like, as well as how he holds his weapons in 3rd person.

If we are talking about In Real Life. Imagine how crappy your FOV is with a Vanguard or Knight helmet(IRL)? Compared to how it would really be, you have vision for days in this game. So trying to say 3rd person simulates how it would be to peer out of a little slit of a helmet is kinda crazy IMO. Different case for archers and MAA. But we do need level playing field, so there’s that.

• I play first person. Yesterday I saw a vanguard purposely lean all the way backwards to block an overhead from behind him, and did so successfully. I was laughing so hard (and playing FPV) I didn’t hear (or see) the guy come up and stab me in the back.

I’ve also come across a few zwei users who like to turn around, lean back as far as possible, and overhead (looks like a move from Soul Calibur if you’re familiar with it). It got me the first one or two times, but after you figure out how to block it they’re… uhh… facing the wrong way and you’re ready to stab immediately.

These are the only noticeable accounts I have of FPV versus TPV. After a game or two warm up I normally lead every server I’m in (at very least second), and It would not appear FPV is in any way holding me back.

Honestly just play with what you’re used to (if you’re able to on the server haha). If the people I play against have some kind of advantage playing TPV I really don’t care- it would appear that 95% of them don’t know it or how to use it.

• @quigleyer:

I play first person. Yesterday I saw a vanguard purposely lean all the way backwards to block an overhead from behind him, and did so successfully.

This is actually a common tactic. If you are caught in a tight spot, the most efficient way to block is crouch/lean back/look up which will allow you to block from front and back. It is a tactic I do quite often in first person when I am surrounded. Its popular in either First or Third person.

• @ChuckingIt:

@quigleyer:

I play first person. Yesterday I saw a vanguard purposely lean all the way backwards to block an overhead from behind him, and did so successfully.

This is actually a common tactic … Its popular in either First or Third person.

I imagine it’s much harder to do in first person :). I guess it’s good if you’re about to get ganged and know it (again, not always an option in FPV)? I left for a month and a half and came back and now there are all these really funny tactics I never saw. Honestly though I felt the opposite of rage when I saw this haha.

• @quigleyer:

I imagine it’s much harder to do in first person :). I guess it’s good if you’re about to get ganged and know it (again, not always an option in FPV)? I left for a month and a half and came back and now there are all these really funny tactics I never saw. Honestly though I felt the opposite of rage when I saw this haha.

You don’t do it if you never saw a guy coming. But if you move into an area where you know enemies can come from all angles, you just instinctively do this when you are about to block anything. Also, I often catch people at a distance as I am fighting someone else, and have a timer in my head to guess when he is about to be on my back.

• Demni, do not post multiple posts like that one after the other. Just edit one post and add in the quotes of the other person.

@DeminRamst:

Oh look, a post completely out of context.
    On a scale of 1 to dumb, how dumb do you feel right now?

And yeah, totally uncalled for. Not like he was being a jerk about it in his post.

• @lemonater47:

What I’m trying to say is have you not realised how big your character is after all these hundreds of hours of play.

You should have a feel for the game by now and you should know when to block and where weapons can actually hit you. I haven’t heard anyone complain about this. And you have only just started complaining.

There aren’t many videos games out there where the 1st person is the same as what everyone else sees in 3rd person.

I can’t parry alt swings because when I block the handle the blade hits me, and when I block the blade the handle hits me. I can’t parry polearm overheads for the same reason sometimes.
    No amount of skill prepares me for that.
    I screw up parrying 2h sword thrusts because I forget the tracers are on the outside of the blade, not the tip.
    Knowing where to parry is less than half the battle; where you could have to block changes before you can react.
    I can’t block Facehugger Knights with a Norse because .35 isn’t enough time to react, and between feints, alt swings, alt overheads and combo feint attacks I just realize I’m gonna die to some bullshit and I better re-roll my loadout or die.

I never played 3rd long enough to figure out what my animations looked like all the time, and my dying to random shit was thought to be other things. It’s not obvious when you die because of invisible hitboxes. If and arrow whizzes at me and I’m in 1st person, I couldn’t tell you anything about how to dodge it narrowly. My sword appears in front of me pointed up, but in 3rd it’s by my side pointing out?

To your last statement, I don’t know, I play MMOs and RTS games. I was good at Halo once sort of, everyone used 1st person as far as I know, which makes sense for that kind of game, since guns are undodgable anyway. At least as far as my perspective of ‘dodgeable’ means.

@kimi: Ok.
    I like being a jerk, I have an excuse ready, but uhh…
    I’ll censor myself more, soz.