[KNIGHT] Tower shield tactics, setups - discussion

• Not a lot of people talk about the big tower shield and I never really saw experienced players use it in combat.
    So I was wondering, are there some people that play exclusively with this shield and if so what strategy have the developed behind the tower shield? I´d like to know and learn.

The strength of the tower shield should be pretty obvious:

Maximal projectile protection in the game

• I cant offer anything to help you improve with it - but I think most of the people who use it probably use 3rd person.

All I can say is, from mild experience using it - the tower shield pretty much cant be hit around by facehuggers 95% of the time which can be handy, but its slow to bring up and down (therefore not great for ‘safe parrying’ with reflex right clicks), as well as obviously hideously filling the screen if you guard with it. Honestly, I gave it a go and tried to like the shield but, I found its flaws were getting me killed far too often.

Its pretty crap compared with kite imo, but it can come into its own in objective games definitely, blocking missiles from your team etc but - its not great for defending up close as its just very vulnerable to kicks. Very very vulnerable - and considering being kicked earns you an unblockable smack to the face, the wonderful defensive properties of the tower shield suddenly look a bit silly.

Basically, IMO - there are NO strategies or setups to make the tower shield work effectively, or make it worth taking over kite :/. Perhaps sticking FOV to max would help it blocking the screen but… dunno really. Admittedly, i’ve only spent about 5-6 hours using it though so - I might have written it off unfairly!

• Tower shield is useful to be almost immune to projectiles while moving up. It also helps vanguards in the sense that a vanguard can hide behind you while moving up.

Add in smoke and you’re golden. Of course, this is if there are a lot of archers to move up against.

• The Tower shield has no real place in 1v1 combat. It is primarily used for Team modes and as a ‘support defense’. It can be useful in FFA and other team modes as basically a back shield, so you don’t equip it, just keep it strapped to your back to protect against projectiles flung at your rear. Although you have to give up your own throwing axes for that.

I tried using it a bit and found it was just too slow to bring up/down leaving you dangerously open to shield kicks too easily.

I have found practically no difference fighting a tower shield user and a kite shield user when it comes to them blocking my attacks. The Kite shield is simply the better option for the majority of game situations.

• All I can say is, from mild experience using it - the tower shield pretty much cant be hit around by facehuggers 95% of the time which can be handy, but its slow to bring up and down (therefore not great for ‘safe parrying’ with reflex right clicks), as well as obviously hideously filling the screen if you guard with it. Honestly, I gave it a go and tried to like the shield but, I found its flaws were getting me killed far too often.

I must disagree. As an accomplished facehugger and user of small, obnoxious weapons, a knight with a big tower shield is my very first target. In my hatchet experience, these shields actually seem to be the easiest to get around. But, as a MAA, heavier classes are my specialty.

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Big.

EDIT: That top part was supposed to be a quote. Let’s give it another shot…