[KNIGHT] Point of using 1h Primary Swords.

• Hi there,

Just wondering about the community insight -

I use shield knight exclusively, absolutely love all the secondaries - all are great weapons. When I first started playing I used the primary swords one handed - longsword, messer and SOW, but since have just reckoned the secondaries to be far superior, from playing experience.

But I do still love how they look. I want to like them. Give me things about them that will make me like them. SUPPLY ME. SUPPLY ME WITH THESE THINGS. Numbers, facts, figures, opinions - all welcome.

–-

Longsword 1h - Why use? What jobs does it do better than other weapons?

SOW 1h - Why use? etc

Messer 1h - Why use? etc

It just seems to me that taking the weapons 1h makes them basically crap - it feels that way to pick one up anyway. YES I get that they have tiny bit more reach than say, broadsword, - but obv that is useless when its weak and slow as hell. Longsword is vaguely useful against shit MAAs that dont know their distances and windups - pitiful against knights, and yeah, thats my observations of the weapon i want to like most in the game.

• The messer used in one hand throws people off big time. Its benefit is that it’s so rarely used, nobody knows how to defend against it! Also it has the same tricky slow release as the 2 hand version.

SoW one handed has a confusing stab animation. Months ago this was considered a really OP weapon used 1 handed, if I remember right. I think it was fixed, not sure if people can still use it as successfully, but I can’t.

Everyone misjudges the reach of all these weapons when used one handed.

That’s all I got! Basically, I think the only strengths these weapons have over others is that they’re so unpopular people don’t really ‘get’ them. Kinda like the double axe; shit weapon, but I can clean up with it for a round or two until people figure it out.

• With all the bastard swords using 1 hand you can perform the alternate overhead which should still be faster than the regular one. I also find it to be easier to land hits with it.
    The biggest power in using them in one hand are (I think) the feints. I definately can´t read them and you should be using them because you are sacrificing reach and damage when wielding bastard swords with one hand.
    Also, just like Harry said the stab of the SoW is extremely fast and feint of the stab unreadable, so you have that…

The reach with bastards swords wielded with one hand is really not that beneficial. Because of your shield you can as close as you need to and Broadsword, Morning star, Flanged mace have much higher DPS (damage per second).

• Interesting… so the only use of the weapons is to throw people off, as no-one bloody uses them. Because they’re crap. I had always felt the broadsword to be nearly as long as a longsword anyway - as well as functionally a load better. Am I right in saying that, despite the SOW’s reasonable 1h stab, its still weak as shit?

Anyhow, is ‘the super-duper-jedi-balance-pro-skills-elite-clan-club’ planning on asking TB nicely to buff them? 1h Bastard swords should just be considered as separate weapons detached somewhat from the 2h versions, and buffed just like the other crap weapons, i.e flail etc.

• @Triumphant:

Interesting… so the only use of the weapons is to throw people off, as no-one bloody uses them. Because they’re crap. I had always felt the broadsword to be nearly as long as a longsword anyway - as well as functionally a load better. Am I right in saying that, despite the SOW’s reasonable 1h stab, its still weak as shit?

Anyhow, is ‘the super-duper-jedi-balance-pro-skills-elite-clan-club’ planning on asking TB nicely to buff them? 1h Bastard swords should just be considered as separate weapons detached somewhat from the 2h versions, and buffed just like the other crap weapons, i.e flail etc.

I think this is the problem, they SHOULD function as fully thought out primaries in their own right when used in one hand, but it just kinda feels like an afterthought. I have no idea if that’s true, it’s just how it feels to me. There might be other benefits to them too, my first post was just my opinion, and I’ve seen better players than me do well with them.

But yeah, I don’t really see the point in them, secondary swords with a shield seem like the better option in every way.

• The problem with the Knights Primary as 1 handers is that they are simply too slow.

You sacrifice so much speed, you have no parry->riposte (thanks to the shield). I’ve found the SoW alt slash is surprised people with its range, however that isn’t enough to win a battle.

I think you are far better dropping a bit of range for the speed the Broadsword gives you, you have a shield so feints against you are much less of a threat, as such getting into close range isn’t a big deal. Use feints yourself and BAM! you are in a good position.