Replacing Models/Assets

• So the sdk is out 8-)

I was wondering if theres any word on whether it is possible to replace assets (like player models) with our own models so that we can maintain all the scripting work and animations. Basically just some model swaps… I know we cant modify the packages because there cooked, is there any other way?

• I don’t think so.

You can use your own assets in new maps, and hopefully soon you’ll be able to use them in modified versions of existing maps, but I don’t think it will be possible to use custom content on a vanilla server/map.

• Hmmm interesting.

So if someone wanted to do a total conversion ie replace existing classes (archer,maa,vanguard,knight) with their own models(obv with the same rig, joint names so the animsets carry over), is the sdk capable of that?

• You can try replacing the weapon models?

Search for the files named: AOCWeaponAttachment_***.uc (where the *** denotes an existing weapon, e.g. broadsword) and open it up. In there you’ll see that it references a specific package file. If you change the path to match a new package (which includes a skeletal mesh of your weapon) you ‘should’ be able to replace it.

Note I haven’t actually done this myself yet :p but it would be something along those lines?

-Sam

• Developer

@davyJones:

Hmmm interesting.

So if someone wanted to do a total conversion ie replace existing classes (archer,maa,vanguard,knight) with their own models(obv with the same rig, joint names so the animsets carry over), is the sdk capable of that?

Yes, it’s totally capable of letting you make total conversions. You just can’t do that without some amount of scripting. You need to point to the new assets and whatnot.