Everyone who pre-orders should get beta access.

• A wider arrange of systems to test; more people to find out gameplay bugs, map bugs. Also, gives more incentive to pre-order.

So that when this releases, day 1, it can have hopefully a patch that fixes alot of bugs.

Sure, there are testers now, but so few; what you want is a flood.

Look at RO2. It released it’s beta way to late and fixed it’s problems to late as well.

You should want release day to be as bug free and as balanced as possible.

• Developer

This is being done the way it is for people who missed out on the Kickstarter and want to take part in the beta, we have the amount of players we are hoping for in the beta with our small team size. It would not be fair to give all pre-orderer’s early access after what we offered on kickstarter.

• Kickstarter was about donating to the Team. It would be fair. And for anyone who purchased it for 50$ already, refund them the 20$, or another copy of the game.

I’m just saying, I’ve been at alot of releases, in alot of betas, and one of the most common mistakes is only allowing a small amount of players to play-test it.

COme release day, when forums flood with 60% of users with some probably that makes them unable to play the game, and it takes you three weeks to fix it, in which time they lose interest.

It’s a way to promote more sales, as well as have a better quality product. I can’t see the harm. it’s very profitable, and everyone benefits.

• @Mkilbride:

Kickstarter was about donating to the Team. It would be fair. And for anyone who purchased it for 50$ already, refund them the 20$, or another copy of the game.

I’m just saying, I’ve been at alot of releases, in alot of betas, and one of the most common mistakes is only allowing a small amount of players to play-test it.

COme release day, when forums flood with 60% of users with some probably that makes them unable to play the game, and it takes you three weeks to fix it, in which time they lose interest.

It’s a way to promote more sales, as well as have a better quality product. I can’t see the harm. it’s very profitable, and everyone benefits.

As a beta player, I can say, there are enough of us as is.

• Yes, as a beta player, you believe that.

I’m not saying this because I’m cheap or anything, but because I want it on release to be good and solid. I don’t even plan to pre-order.

I just think as many people whom can test it now is better. They pre-ordered, when these issues come up on release, they will not be so forgiving.

But many players will accept it in beta.

But they won’t listen.

• If “accept it” means “reporting bugs and issues and imbalances so they can be fixed” then sure, we’re totally accepting it.

To be honest, you’re in no position to comment on the current state of the game having not played it. You really can’t judge beta gameplay by watching videos and spotting the occasional animation glitch or something, then jumping out of your seat shouting “A-HA! THIS IS NOT READY TO GO GOLD!”. The game could be released next week without a hitch. It’s more bug-free than most products from well known developers are on release day, outside of a few things that are known and being worked on. The biggest focus as far as I’m aware is optimizing the game so players with low end machines will get a better experience out of it, because there’s nothing huge to fix.

As an alpha tester, I believe this. Because I’ve seen TB in action practically from day 1 - and the biggest mistake other indie devs make that they haven’t? They actually listen to their testers and players. They’ve made numerous big changes to the direction of the game based on feedback. They didn’t just come in to this with a rigid goal of what the game was going to be and ignore everything that didn’t conform to that mold - they had the very loose goal of making the best multiplayer melee game ever, because they always put the gameplay experience above all else. If the beta testers didn’t believe on the whole that they’d made the best melee game ever, they wouldn’t just push the release back a month, they’d push it back as long as it took for their game to be what they set out to make it. But guess what? People who’ve actually played the beta, and not just watched videos and sat on the forums critiquing what they’d never experienced generally agree Chivalry beats out the meager competition by a mile. So yeah, I’m not surprised TB wants to get their game into players’ hands as soon as possible.

• Wait, what? If I was to pre-order right now for £30 ($50) I would not receive Beta access? Doesn’t it say play instantly?

• You would.

• @b3h47pte:

You would.

Sorry I guess I was getting confused with other peoples comments then :p