Thank you for this game!

• I was browsing deep through Steams listings one day, and came across this little gem. After watching some youtube vids and reading some reviews I decided it was worth a purchase and bought it.

I gotta say in all honesty, this game is f–-ing awesome! It’s pretty clear that the developers didn’t have a huge budget to work with, but the product they put out doesn’t skimp on quality one bit. The game looks amazing, the controls are fluid, and the mechanics are rock solid.

This game is insanely fun and a breath of fresh air in the competitive multi-player genre with all the generic dude-bro shooters out there right now that just keep pumping out sequel after sequel. I just wanted to say as a life long gamer it’s stuff like this that really drives home the point to me why indie developers are so important to the industry.

So I would just like to say thank you to the developers responsible for my new favorite game. I will be eagerly awaiting sequels to this game, and recommending it to anyone who will listen. Keep up the good work, because the video game industry desperately needs new ideas like this. :D

• Fuck yeah =D

• Yes! It is glorious, uber fun game

• I’ve not had this game too long - felt like this x1000 when I first bought it, and after a humble 95 hours - still feel the same way. At the rate I play the game compared to all my others, i’ll get many more hours than that down.

Heh, I recommended the game to my best mate - and these days we’ll hang out and go into duel mode n take it in turns to do a map, he bloody loves the game too.

The guy uses a pitchfork, and somehow does sort of well with it, considering! I’ll sit there shrieking ‘backpedal and power thrust, BACKPEDAL! BACKPEDAAAAL!’ as he desperately tries to land a last hit on a very bloodied knight thats trying to facehug him immediately after blocking a pitchfork stab. Good times.

We always have a good laugh as people try to feint him and get met with a power thrust to the intestines, we’ll mix it up on the cunts by getting me to switch in after the first round as a hideous, fairly efficient mace waving exclusive kite knight player - and spaff the living shit out of the unsuspecting, reasonably rubbish level 30+ who thinks he’s good, taunting a pitchfork level 10. Add into this some beers and bitchy butthurt kids that cant handle losing duels… this game is just great.

Im trying to teach him how to shield knight, but he just doesnt get it. Guess its just not his style. I also keep trying to convince him to switch to spartan spear - but he did give a decent reason: killing someone with a peasant farming tool is pretty hilarious. If they buff the fork in the patch, he’ll be laughing all the way to the bank anyway.

LLLAAAAAV DEEES GAAAAME

• Anyhow, where are my manners - going off on some self-indulgent tangent about my own good times with this game!

Welcome to the forums Derk :)

• Hah welcome to the game man.

Swing away. But please stab :).

Hope to see you out (ahem, in) there.

• :berz:

• Play it for 50 hours then come back here and tell us more about this “fluid” gameplay you speak of.

• @quigleyer:

No, no sling away.

• Hell yeah, shout out to the Devs and the Mods :p

:k1: :stab:

• @gregcau:

@quigleyer:

No, no sling away.

Put your sling away? That’s what you meant. Must be :).

• Play it for 50 hours then come back here and tell us more about this “fluid” gameplay you speak of.

You don’t need to spend 50 hours in a game to judge how fluid the gameplay is. Most games you can tell within the first 5 mins if the gameplay is solid or not. I’ve got about 15 hours logged into this game. But that is still more than enough time to pass a judgement on it.

• @DerkThunder:

Play it for 50 hours then come back here and tell us more about this “fluid” gameplay you speak of.

You don’t need to spend 50 hours in a game to judge how fluid the gameplay is. Most games you can tell within the first 5 mins if the gameplay is solid or not. I’ve got about 15 hours logged into this game. But that is still more than enough time to pass a judgement on it.

No you can’t.

And no it isn’t.

• No you can’t.

And no it isn’t.

Yes I can tell if games are good within 5 mins.

And yes 15 hours is more than enough time to form an opinion on this game. Saying otherwise makes you look like some snobby fanboy who thinks no-one else is a real gamer unless they are able to devote as much time to their hobby as you do.

I’ve got nothing against anyone who can put tons of time into video games, more power to them. But I’ve got a business to run, employees to pay, and responsibilities to meet. So lately I find myself not having as much time to devote to video games as I used to. Although that doesn’t mean I’m incapable of differentiating quality games from shitty ones.

Obviously the game isn’t perfect, but I didn’t start this thread to nitpick on the things that need work. There are other threads for that and if you want I would be happy to join you on one of them and we can discuss the things that need improvement.

But for this thread I started it to compliment the devs on what is truly an awesome game, and I think you would at least agree with that.

• @DerkThunder:

blah blah blah

It is actually very simple. You are wrong.

@DerkThunder:

Saying otherwise makes you look like some snobby fanboy who thinks no-one else is a real gamer unless they are able to devote as much time to their hobby as you do.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

? Isaac Asimov

You can keep stating things that are false, its fine.

a game is a very complex system. After 5 minutes there is no way you’ve been exposed to all the variables/features/attributes of that system if the game is at all more complex than tic tac toe.

After 15 hours of this particular game, you’ve still not been exposed to everything and you still won’t have the necessary personal skill to manipulate the system in certain ways.

If you are a genius that can intuit all of a game’s dynamics after playing for 5 minutes, you and your 300 iq should build space ships or go into nanotech. It is a waste of your time to respond to me.

All you can tell after 5 minutes or 15 hours is if you like the game based on your current understanding of how it functions, which is different from how it actually functions, which you’d only be able to understand after further exposure and increasing personal ability to play.
    –----------------------
    You are allowed to have a personal opinion on the game - ‘i like it so far’ vs ‘i dont like it so far’

you’re not allowed to have any opinions on the state of the game or gameplay issues, due to your lack of exposure. So again, 15 hours is not nearly enough time to “pass judgement” on the game. 5 minutes is not enough time to tell if a game “has solid gameplay” although it might be enough time to tell if it is “good (meaning you like it, not good in some larger sense)”

You can have thoughts, maybe fleeting impressions about the gameplay. But except in the most gross sense, or through sheer luck, those thoughts/impressions will have almost no relationship to the reality of the game. As you get better and expose yourself to the game more, those thoughts/impressions should slowly line up with how the game actually works and you’ll start doing better.

@DerkThunder:

But for this thread I started it to compliment the devs on what is truly an awesome game, and I think you would at least agree with that.

I think they made a fairly fun game, sure. Not an awesome one. Not the game that was advertised

not “The best melee game ever” or a real “competitive” experience.
    http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/about-it

A semi-casual slash fest. Sure its fun. Not nearly as deep as people expected. Overly luck influenced. No hack protection whatsoever. No real server moderation. Constant votekick harassment. Still an amazingly small map selection. No ping/archer limit on official servers. Not even locked into first person perspective, its a third person game if you want to play optimally.

Very large amount of deviations from what was expected of this game, honestly.

• @JCash:

@DerkThunder:

blah blah blah

It is actually very simple. You are wrong.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

? Isaac Asimov

You can keep stating things that are false, its fine.

a game is a very complex system. After 5 minutes there is no way you’ve been exposed to all the variables/features/attributes of that system if the game is at all more complex than tic tac toe.

After 15 hours of this particular game, you’ve still not been exposed to everything and you still won’t have the necessary personal skill to manipulate the system in certain ways.

If you are a genius that can intuit all of a game’s dynamics after playing for 5 minutes, you and your 300 iq should build space ships or go into nanotech. It is a waste of your time to respond to me.

All you can tell after 5 minutes or 15 hours is if you like the game based on your current understanding of how it functions, which is different from how it actually functions, which you’d only be able to understand after further exposure and increasing personal ability to play.
    –----------------------
    You are allowed to have a personal opinion on the game - ‘i like it so far’ vs ‘i dont like it so far’

you’re not allowed to have any opinions on the state of the game or gameplay issues, due to your lack of exposure. So again, 15 hours is not nearly enough time to “pass judgement” on the game. 5 minutes is not enough time to tell if a game “has solid gameplay” although it might be enough time to tell if it is “good (meaning you like it, not good in some larger sense)”

You can have thoughts, maybe fleeting impressions about the gameplay. But except in the most gross sense, or through sheer luck, those thoughts/impressions will have almost no relationship to the reality of the game. As you get better and expose yourself to the game more, those thoughts/impressions should slowly line up with how the game actually works and you’ll start doing better.

15 hours is ample playtime to have an opinion of gameplay.

In your opinion how long should you play for to get a good idea of how things work in chivalry.

• @lemonater47:

In your opinion how long should you play for to get a good idea of how things work in chivalry.

No, its not.

Aside from ‘so far i like this’ / ‘i don’t like this’

At least 250. Generally 500+ hours.

15 hours is less than a week of play for someone that games casually. Like, 2 days for an addict.

No one really ‘gets’ this game after playing it casually for a week. 15 hours sunk into a game is not much time at all.

• @lemonater47:

Sure, but your opinion will be wrong unless you are very lucky.

15 hours to determine if you like the game sure. 15 hours to determine what the key issues are - no way in hell.