Feint crybabies

• Can someone please explain to me why people cry so heavily about feinting?

I use feints regularly to trick my enemy and get them to parry…then cut their head off, for example.

Yet, I am called a skill lacking piece of crap feintspammer LOL. I typically am 1-3 in any given FFA/Duel, and employ a variety of tactics. I also get killed by feints and it makes me laugh because I was tricked.

Please explain the extreme crying - and how feints take ‘no skill’ when you can do them too/predict them?

-Original

• I believe you answered your own question.

Can someone please explain to me why people cry so heavily about feinting?

I use feints regularly to trick my enemy and get them to parry…then cut their head off, for example.

Nobody likes being tricked into having their head removed.

• Boring boring boring. No-one cares about the tired, haggard old feint arguments anymore, they’ve been done to death.

Some people hate them. Some people dont.

The end.

• @Original:

Please explain the extreme crying - and how feints take ‘no skill’ when you can predict them?

Once you understand that statement as a falsehood, you’ll start to see things the way the rest of the sane people see it.

Also do a forum search instead of posting about a topic that has been debated to death for months.

@Triumphant:

Some people hate them. Some people dont.

No one likes someone who trivializes arguments because they’re tired of them. You could apply this line of thinking to every major political/social movement in the history of the world, that doesn’t make those issues trivial.

Don’t read the thread when you know its about something you don’t care about.

• Ducking is the solution to most feints.

• Slight - the famous ‘feint’ debate is so old, and so tired - that absolutely every point from either side has been raised and fought over so many times (to practically a complete 50:50), that its not even worth bothering to justify anymore.

So given that, im happy to trivialize it. Feel free to ‘not like’ me over it, and enjoy arguing the same old points for eternity. BORING BORING BORING.

• Did someone say feints?

The devs are evidently committed to fixing them. This has been discussed to death but

Basically its a free hit button in most instances.

No one sane believes that in a skill based game where you die in 1-3 hits, a ‘bypass parry button’ you can use /six/ times with full stam is a good idea.

It more than anything else drastically lowers the skill ceiling for the game and limits the possibility for /real/ competitive play. Except possibly the fact that chiv has absolutely no hack protection, which you’d think would be the FIRST thing TBS would invest money into fixing.

@Triumphant:

(to practically a complete 50:50),

You mean to feints being generally agreed upon as a bad design choice and the devs trying to fix them in the beta builds?

Thats not a 50:50 that is a bad mechanic being changed. Thankfully.

• @Triumphant:

Slight - the famous ‘feint’ debate is so old, and so tired - that absolutely every point from either side has been raised and fought over so many times (to practically a complete 50:50), that its not even worth bothering to justify anymore.

So given that, im happy to trivialize it. Feel free to ‘not like’ me over it, and enjoy arguing the same old points for eternity. BORING BORING BORING.

No one is forcing you to read these boring threads.

• No, I suppose not.

• **Feints??

OMG LET’S TALK ABOUT FEINTS :D**

• Friggin’ bada, all over the forums already on his first day back! =p

• Some one feints you, just kick his face.

• People are just bad losers, if you die because of a feint, tough luck. Better luck next time, at least that’s how I play the game.

• Once I reached level 40 I was auto-team-switched so now I have to like Feints again.

• @Triumphant:

Slight - the famous ‘feint’ debate is so old, and so tired - that absolutely every point from either side has been raised and fought over so many times (to practically a complete 50:50), that its not even worth bothering to justify anymore.

Exactly, did you not understand the point of my post?

My point was that trivializing it by saying “some ppl like it some ppl don’t” isn’t necessary. It’s debated because it is indeed a problem, the debate is about how best to fix it. Which, again as I said in my post, is an old tired debate but still one that needs a resolution there therefore shouldn’t be trivialized.

@Pilgore:

People are just bad losers, if you die because of a feint, tough luck. Better luck next time, at least that’s how I play the game.

Yup.

• You highlight “luck” as if that’s a bad thing, luck is a minor but important thing to take into consideration. At the end of the day, luck is one of the deciding factors in a fight with two feint users. But people just don’t seem to want to accept that.

• @Pilgore:

You highlight “luck” as if that’s a bad thing, luck is a minor but important thing to take into consideration. At the end of the day, luck is one of the deciding factors in a fight with two feint users. But people just don’t seem to want to accept that.

I do believe the argument is that luck should not be a factor, but rather skill.

Not arguing one way or the other, just sayin’.

• But it’s not like luck is the ONLY factor, it plays A factor. People tend to overreact. Sometimes combat IS a coin toss, but that’s okay. If you’re a good player you can push that luck more to you and gain the upper hand. Sometimes not….that’s the nature of luck, it’s unpredictable.

• Because it’s too easy to do the tricking, and far too hard to avoid being tricked.

Not complicated. Even those out, and it’d be a good mechanic.

• @Pilgore:

But it’s not like luck is the ONLY factor, it plays A factor. People tend to overreact. Sometimes combat IS a coin toss, but that’s okay. If you’re a good player you can push that luck more to you and gain the upper hand. Sometimes not….that’s the nature of luck, it’s unpredictable.

I do see what you’re saying, but I also understand the other side of the argument. Feinting and a luck based mechanic will also help to give new players a chance to win against more experienced players- this is not something I necessarily see as a bad thing (especially with the way new players are… uhh… squashed often in this game).

I don’t really had too much of a problem with feints in the game from people swinging weapons with reasonably times swings, but once a guy with a falchion (or even the flanged mace) comes out and starts rapidly feinting and attacking as though he’s just tapping his mouse buttons randomly I start to think it’s time for a break. The idea that you can wait to see if he’s going to attack and block late is completely lost with a lot of the maa one handers/side arms.

A combination of facehugging (requires you to turn your head a lot to block) and feinting with fast one-handed weapons is a pretty good way of beating a lot of skilled and unskilled players alike. So all of that deep weapon timing, distance, and footwork practice that really skilled players develop isn’t really essential because it’s bypassed by “correctly” spamming this mechanic. And this mechanic can be well done by randomly (as if you don’t even know/care what you’re really doing) by being close to someone and rapidly pressing your mouse buttons.

On the other side I don’t necessarily mind fighting a duel against a guy who is going to feint me with a two handed sword or double gripped bastard sword (etc.). I’m beginning to like the mental game that this brings, and I feel so long as they’re not RIGHT beside then often-times those deeper skill sets developed through time and experience still play a part in the win.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the changes for feinting effect gameplay. I’m also curious as to how the facehug buffer is going to effect falchion/norse sword spazzo feinters.