[WEP] Point of using the Buckler?

• Well, might as well ask all my little questions as they pop into my tiny head.

Buckler. Seems pretty cool. I take it sometimes for a laugh, then realise it doesnt seem to be much good. Whenever I try to take a crappy flail for fun, I also find this problem. Blocks half the screen, yet doesnt provide half the protection. These are the negatives, surely this means there are enormous positives? Is it quicker to raise/lower? If so - numbers? Is it quicker to bash? If so - numbers?

Must be SOMETHING worthwhile about this shield right? Supply me with this information. IMMEDIATELY.

:)

• Check beta changes.

• A parry that blood arrows. That’s what I use it for.

Don’t use it like a shield.

Many idiots try to parry projectiles normally for some odd reason (are people just retareded). But with the buckler shield when they fire you then block.

With the buckler you block attacks by turning into the attack.

Some people like have the buckler and broadsword as a knight. That’s a combination I see quite a bit.

The buckler is also the only shield that protects your head from arrows. With all the other shileds you can shoot over the top and get a headshot. Really easy to do with the tower and heater shield. A bit harder with the kite sheild as its curved.

• I use a kiteshield to ‘safe parry’ with, and turn into attacks anyway. I get the idea of not holding it up all the time waiting to be kicked like a mug, but what direct advantages does the buckler confer over the kite?

Why USE the buckler?

• @Triumphant:

I use a kiteshield to ‘safe parry’ with, and turn into attacks anyway. I get the idea of not holding it up all the time waiting to be kicked like a mug, but what direct advantages does the buckler confer over the kite?

Why USE the buckler?

I don’t know. Gotta ask someone who uses the buckler as a knight in game.

You can block faster with a kite shield. And a kite sheild actually has less arrow protection than a buckler. With a buckler you can hit them is the legs yes. But with the kite sheild you can hit them in the stomach and its possible to hit them in the head.

Also when I do use the buckler I tend to find myself being facehugged succesfully less.

• One mild point i’d mention from today is that buckler alters stab animations into being reasonably deceptive if you’re not used to it: so can catch people off guard. After a bit of use though, i’d conclude that in live its not up to being chosen over kite.

• I tried spend time with a buckler and norse sword as a knight. It was just crap, it hindered far, far more than it helped. This is Live, so I gave up ready to try it again post-patch and see how goes then.

The main issue was it blocked too much vision, even with a wide FOV and was too slow. Better off putting it away and keeping parry.

• Buckler is useless compared to the real shields.