New weapon

• Make it very simple: KATANA PLEASE !

• I think i’ll say no. Doesn’t fit the game very well. There is a mod that probably has katanas and other stuff like that. Check it here http://www.moddb.com/mods/bushido-medieval-warfare :)

• Now why would you want THAT piece of shit weapon?

It looks like a malformed dildo, it’s only good for chopping up sausage and you can’t even bludgeon people with it! It’s incomprehensable why anybody would even remotely fancy this disgusting insult of a weapon just because the History channel made a “documentary” about it with the intellectual content of a “Fast and Furious”-film.

Also if you “really” want to wank about Japanese superiority, please just point towards their metric tucktons of awesome technology, but don’t swagger about with that curved catastrophe of swordsmanship.

• Agree with posters above. The game is called Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, that is, the specific medieval period in Europe. Therefore - european weaponry. There is a feudal japan mod in the works called Bushido, it’s gonna have the katana. But as Omthur said, in a less hostile tone, what’s so special about the katana? There are better japanese weapons than that sharpened piece of iron pipe that is the katana.

• @OMTHUR:

Now why would you want THAT piece of shit weapon?

It looks like a malformed dildo, it’s only good for chopping up sausage and you can’t even bludgeon people with it! It’s incomprehensable why anybody would even remotely fancy this disgusting insult of a weapon just because the History channel made a “documentary” about it with the intellectual content of a “Fast and Furious”-film.

Also if you “really” want to wank about Japanese superiority, please just point towards their metric tucktons of awesome technology, but don’t swagger about with that curved catastrophe of swordsmanship.

The katana was was capable of chopping a head off in a single blow and considering its wheight that’s impressive. Any medieval executioners couldn’t do that with a heavy axe. Usually took about two great hacks. Some of the worst in history it took a good 10 hits. But they were more becuase he executioner. Was new and missed lots, leaving a bloody mess as a head.

Their swords were sharp and well looked after and Japanese were very capable swordsman.

Then were so useful that’s larger version was made called the No-dachi. and in the 16th centurary they were so common that many peasant armies which clans started to use used katanas as a secondary weapon. After one battle you could supply all your peasant armies with katanas. Making them slightly more useful in combat, rain sing their morale a bit at no cost to the general in command. The Japanese did not have a modern army soldier still paid for most of their own equipment. A few daimyos did loan weapons and armour to the peasants to get more soldiers. It meant they were paid less and had to complete several years of service or die fighting.

• That’s a history lesson, not a reason for a ridonkulous sword to be in a game about Medieval, Europe-centric war.

• @SushiJaguar:

That’s a history lesson, not a reason for a ridonkulous sword to be in a game about Medieval, Europe-centric war.

Well its already going to be in the game.

And they were saying it was useless. When its one of the most well designed swords.

• @lemonater47:

The katana was was capable of chopping a head off in a single blow and considering its wheight that’s impressive. Any medieval executioners couldn’t do that with a heavy axe. Usually took about two great hacks. Some of the worst in history it took a good 10 hits. But they were more becuase he executioner. Was new and missed lots, leaving a bloody mess as a head.

Their swords were sharp and well looked after and Japanese were very capable swordsman.

Then were so useful that’s larger version was made called the No-dachi. and in the 16th centurary they were so common that many peasant armies which clans started to use used katanas as a secondary weapon. After one battle you could supply all your peasant armies with katanas. Making them slightly more useful in combat, rain sing their morale a bit at no cost to the general in command. The Japanese did not have a modern army soldier still paid for most of their own equipment. A few daimyos did loan weapons and armour to the peasants to get more soldiers. It meant they were paid less and had to complete several years of service or die fighting.

Now don’t you muddy the issue with your well researched facts and scientific proof, mister!

That aside, I’m not even here to argue about how “awesome” the Katana in its myriad forms really is, I’m just here to tell all the stupid fanboys to GTFO.

And still: You cannot cause blunt force trauma on people with a katana, it’s a choppy-cutty thing, thus it is EENFEEREEOOHR!!!

• @lemonater47:

@SushiJaguar:

That’s a history lesson, not a reason for a ridonkulous sword to be in a game about Medieval, Europe-centric war.

Well its already going to be in the game.

And they were saying it was useless. When its one of the most well designed swords.

It doesn’t matter how well designed it is for Japan, this game is set in Europe. The Japanese used lacquered bamboo for armour, most European nations used iron or steel. You can’t cut through a metal breastplate with a katana. I mean, look at the lamellar armour that was considered the height of Japanese armouring. It’s made up of lots of small squares held together with silk or thread. You can still cut through the gaps with your average katana. Compare that to a plate chestpiece backed by leather-set chainmail and a tough undershirt, you aren’t gonna do crap with a slicing weapon.

And don’t go saying anything about armour post-Nanban Trade, because that doesn’t count. Tanegashima had already become prolific and melee combat was starting to become a thing of the past, so just because the Japanese got their hands on superior ways of making armour eventually doesn’t mean a thing.

• @OMTHUR:

F_5dP_83O7o

• @gregcau:

@OMTHUR:

F_5dP_83O7o

Ah, that makes sense!

Joker tried to hold a katana in his mouth like Roronoa Zorro from One Piece and with just a slight loss of grip, he had to realise why it was a butt-stupid idea. Now he tries to become the world’s most dangerous and feared psychopathical criminal and makes up terrifying cover stories so no one knows his secret.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc

here you go, katana worshippers.

• @Jensen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc

Who is this guy?, Is he a martial artist is he a warrior?, What sort of make is that katana? Regardless it doesn’t look polished and it looks like a prop sword from the last samurai. xD

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShW1QPHk61yUI6ejfIXpqdQMiCXJW2TFGh-Hl6S4ti7-Qeyct6

• @SirBlade:

@Jensen:

Who is this guy?, Is he a martial artist is he a warrior?, What sort of make is that katana? Regardless it doesn’t look polished and it looks like a prop sword from the last samurai. xD

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShW1QPHk61yUI6ejfIXpqdQMiCXJW2TFGh-Hl6S4ti7-Qeyct6

He doesn’t talk about HIS katana in perticular, he’s talking about the katana in general. Who cares if HIS katana isn’t a 300 years old mastercrafted one? As for who he is, he’s an archeologist, historican and medieval reenactor. Oh, and he does the lindy hop. He has shitloads of fact videos about medieval weapons, shield formations, chariots, and fun historical anecdotes.

• @SavageBeatings:

@SirBlade:

@Jensen:

He doesn’t talk about HIS katana in perticular, he’s talking about the katana in general. Who cares if HIS katana isn’t a 300 years old mastercrafted one? As for who he is, he’s an archeologist, historican and medieval reenactor. Oh, and he does the lindy hop. He has shitloads of fact videos about medieval weapons, shield formations, chariots, and fun historical anecdotes.

Yet I’ve never heard of him. Hmm? A katana doesn’t have to be master crafted to be a good sword used for battle. Any man with enough dedication can look after his blade and make it a weapon for battle. The katana he has in this video isn’t battle ready, You can’t profess to knowing about the feasibility of a weapons effectiveness in battle without actually using it in battle, Chopping up ice cubes or straw poles is a good way to test the sharpness of a weapon but it says nothing about the weapons effectiveness in battle.

The katana in his video which he commented on being “a good weapon for unarmored peasants” would be correct because that katana isn’t polished correctly, Most katanas in Japans culture were handed down to them by their fathers and their fathers before them so they were a prized thing in any family, So when battle arose they weren’t supplied with a bunch of surplus weapons hammered out and given to them, They used weapons that were handed down to them and polished occassionaly. It was the mans responsbility of that family be it if he is of samurai status to polish his katana. Whenever war arose most foot soldiers wore no katana, Because katanas are a symbol of status so they were given spears.

I don’t want a katana in this game because I feel the same way you guys do about it, But I dislike when people hate on the katana and hate on it because of the countless of prop swords and unpolishable ones someone found on ebay and compare it to a popular and highly produced european sword my answer to that is “NO SHIT!”

• @SirBlade:

Yet I’ve never heard of him. Hmm? A katana doesn’t have to be master crafted to be a good sword used for battle. Any man with enough dedication can look after his blade and make it a weapon for battle. The katana he has in this video isn’t battle ready, You can’t profess to knowing about the feasibility of a weapons effectiveness in battle without actually using it in battle, Chopping up ice cubes or straw poles is a good way to test the sharpness of a weapon but it says nothing about the weapons effectiveness in battle.

The katana in his video which he commented on being “a good weapon for unarmored peasants” would be correct because that katana isn’t polished correctly, Most katanas in Japans culture were handed down to them by their fathers and their fathers before them so they were a prized thing in any family, So when battle arose they weren’t supplied with a bunch of surplus weapons hammered out and given to them, They used weapons that were handed down to them and polished occassionaly. It was the mans responsbility of that family be it if he is of samurai status to polish his katana. Whenever war arose most foot soldiers wore no katana, Because katanas are a symbol of status so they were given spears.

I don’t want a katana in this game because I feel the same way you guys do about it, But I dislike when people hate on the katana and hate on it because of the countless of prop swords and unpolishable ones someone found on ebay and compare it to a popular and highly produced european sword my answer to that is “NO SHIT!”

Who. Cares. About. HIS. katana?

He’s making points about THE katana, he just has a prop katana for the sake of the video! In other videos, he makes points about WW1/2 but he doesn’t have like a rifle becaue he lives in britain. He doesn’t have a chariot either, when he talks about them. And when he’s talking about the kopis, he uses a kukhri instead because it has a similar design.

And why would you have heard of him? I’d like to see you mention famous archeologists (Indiana Jones does not count.) It’s not really anything you get famous for. Of course you can see these shows on TV where they test a lot of weapons, like the one with Lee Ermey where they use a blunt longsword versus a katana and of course the longsword doesn’t cut through ANYTHING, because the show is angled like that. Then there’s these ones where they invite some famous japanese swords master to cut down some bambu, and that’s really awesome. Now, why won’t the TV show have someone do the same with a european sword? I’ve seen people do that on youtube videos, but not on tv really.

“Popular and highly produced european sword”. If we are to trust the internet, the katana is the most popular sword in the world. And props of it are therefore highly produced. But I rarely see european swords neither popular nor highly produced. I’ve seen a few swordsmiths having accurate and sharp reproduced swords for sale for several thousand, or there’s the blunted ones for medieval reenactment. But there’s nothing that you hang on the wall or have on a nice stand like you do with the katana.

I also don’t like the katana because of the hipster in me, everyone loves it and everyone has a fake one on their wall. I would rather have a viking sword on my wall. Light and bendy.

• I don’t get how this mystical “polishing” can transform the katana from a peasant-slasher into the godlike armour-piercer the internet thinks it is.

Ooh katana so mysterious. They can be very varied in weight and balance, but it’s still just a piece of metal made for cutting people, and a poor design if you ask me.

I own a katana, a proper training one, quite beautiful, I love it. I would NEVER bring it to a battlefield though… way too heavy, can’t use it with a shield, no piercing point… meh.

Give me a spear, shield and shortsword and this keyboard warrior is ready to go ^^

• @SavageBeatings:

@SirBlade:

Who. Cares. About. HIS. katana?

He’s making points about THE katana, he just has a prop katana for the sake of the video! In other videos, he makes points about WW1/2 but he doesn’t have like a rifle becaue he lives in britain. He doesn’t have a chariot either, when he talks about them. And when he’s talking about the kopis, he uses a kukhri instead because it has a similar design.

And why would you have heard of him? I’d like to see you mention famous archeologists (Indiana Jones does not count.) It’s not really anything you get famous for. Of course you can see these shows on TV where they test a lot of weapons, like the one with Lee Ermey where they use a blunt longsword versus a katana and of course the longsword doesn’t cut through ANYTHING, because the show is angled like that. Then there’s these ones where they invite some famous japanese swords master to cut down some bambu, and that’s really awesome. Now, why won’t the TV show have someone do the same with a european sword? I’ve seen people do that on youtube videos, but not on tv really.

“Popular and highly produced european sword”. If we are to trust the internet, the katana is the most popular sword in the world. And props of it are therefore highly produced. But I rarely see european swords neither popular nor highly produced. I’ve seen a few swordsmiths having accurate and sharp reproduced swords for sale for several thousand, or there’s the blunted ones for medieval reenactment. But there’s nothing that you hang on the wall or have on a nice stand like you do with the katana.

I also don’t like the katana because of the hipster in me, everyone loves it and everyone has a fake one on their wall. I would rather have a viking sword on my wall. Light and bendy.

Then? Really his words have no meaning to them then why people choose to listen to him it’s entirely up to them but I wouldn’t take anything he has to say not worth taking to heart or imbedding in your brain. Everything he says should be taken with a extreme amount of salt. I wouldn’t go around quoting archeologists because they’re not even experienced on the matter they know of the methods used by samurai in battle and the methods of their swordsmithing abilities but they don’t how to do it themselves.

Getting that sort of experience takes a considerable amount of effort, You can go to Japan and swordsmiths still practice the way they’ve been doing it for the last 300 years, But you’re born into that type of family they really aren’t willing to teach anyone their methods only allow them to watch so a lot of people who may be “experts” on the matters are really left out in the dark. I’ve read literature on the katana but never anything heavy before.

Like for instance I read “The book of 5 rings” which is a authored work by Musashi Miyamoto Japans “Greatest” swordsman. It was often regarded by him that the reason the samurai were ineffective in war is because rather than adapt to the rest of the world and learn new ways to use the katana they continued their training at prestigious dojos learning the ways of the sword that had been taught for hundreds of years and they never really attempted to learn new ways of doing things based on their own experience, Probably one of the reasons why samurai continued to lose wars amongst foriegn countries.

The European broadsword was used through Europe and them some it was much more highly produced than Japanese swords were during the same period and it wouldn’t be suprising to find swords from that age still around, katanas on the other hand once the Meiji era came around katanas were quickly replaced with guns and a lot of those katanas from that era are no longer around. You’re right on the popularity part but a bunch of these people who idolize the katana are just weaboos who idolize anything Japanese and don’t look at the credit of that weapon based on past history.

So whenever I hear someone say “Oh the katana is better than the broadsword” I cringe, because they aren’t looking at facts they’re speaking out of their ass and in what terms is the katana better.
    without a doubt the european broadsword in the conflicts it was used proved to be more successful but this could be contributed to fact the samurai failed to adapt or learn new ways to use the katana. Whilst the europeans constantly evolved creating plate armour and they were known to be taller and have greater strength than the Japanese samurai.

• @Jensen:

I don’t get how this mystical “polishing” can transform the katana from a peasant-slasher into the godlike armour-piercer the internet thinks it is.

Ooh katana so mysterious. They can be very varied in weight and balance, but it’s still just a piece of metal made for cutting people, and a poor design if you ask me.

I own a katana, a proper training one, quite beautiful, I love it. I would NEVER bring it to a battlefield though… way too heavy, can’t use it with a shield, no piercing point… meh.

Give me a spear, shield and shortsword and this keyboard warrior is ready to go ^^

It’s funny that you “own a katana” but you don’t know what polishing a katana is. Polishing is simply keeping the blade nice and clean but it also keeps the blade from dulling or rusting. An unpolished blade can eventually become ineffective because it hasn’t been taken care of, But this isn’t just for a katana it’s any weapon with a cutting blade. It’s most often known though that rather than take care of their blades the Europeans chose to sharpen them for battle using a grinder wheel or a whetstone this is still just as effective as what the samurai did because broadswords are thicker and more sturdier than a katana so the life of that weapon isn’t compromised being constantly sharpened using the same method. Of course if you were to do that to a katana there is a good chance if you took it into battle it’d be far too brittle and snap ultimately resulting in your death.

• You argue semantics and question my sources instead of my actual points… the fallacies are adding up here, good sir.

I understood what you meant with polishing, I just don’t believe it makes any substantial difference whatsoever in terms of how well it cuts armor. It’s still a peasant-slasher, it’s too thick and doesn’t have a point made for piercing, very nice for cutting badly made leather armor or unarmoured peasants, very bad for anything with the IQ to equip something actually protective… say… a chainmail.

It’s also thicker than most broadswords I’d imagine, contrary to what you claimed, fans often think the katana is this light and agile ninja blade but it’s actually heavy and broad as ****. European swords are lighter and much handier by comparison. You could be right that katanas require much more maintenance, probably because of the worse metal and technique when creating them.

Here’s a broadsword for ya, not very broad is it? Cuz they were called broadswords because they were broad in comparison to rapiers, not because they were actually particularly broad and heavy.