Destructible Walls

• How do you handle the destructible walls, such as the wooden ones in the last section of Darkforrest? Are they a particular asset or do I need to add a kismet trigger or something?

• Is it done with a dynamic trigger volume?

• Developer

IIRC they’re actors of some sort (AOCStaticMeshActors ?) with TakeDamage Kismet events attached to them. I’ll take a look at the level tomorrow if I remember.

• Yeah they’re definitely AOCStaticMeshActors, with a damage of 10000000 or something. When I copy and paste a destructible wall the copied one looks fine and has all of the properties but isn’t destructible. Must be a kismet trigger.

Thanks

• I am just guessing, but maybe have the different walls in place (all but the healthy one hidden) and have a kismet event set. Once the damage reaches a certain level, hide the healthy and unhide the next level and continue until it is destroyed possibly?

Or if you just want walls in general to chip away, maybe use the fracture tool in the static mesh editor?
    Just thoughts ^_^

• Developer

It’s all Kismet, so look in Citadel and Dark Forest’s kismet to look at it. Wherever we have destruction (walls in Citadel / DF / HS, doors in Citadel / DF / SH, etc.) we do something along the lines of what XGCForsakend just described, hiding one level and showing the next, usually combined with some big particles to hide the transition. Works surprisingly well. We don’t use fracture or Apex for one reason or another (the artists would know more about why).

• I also found a way to accomplish this by using a fractured static mesh. Fractured static meshes allow you to destroy bits and pieces of a wall or any object with your weapon/catapult/ballista

• @Tree0ctopus:

I also found a way to accomplish this by using a fractured static mesh. Fractured static meshes allow you to destroy bits and pieces of a wall or any object with your weapon/catapult/ballista

Hey, I tried adding a fractured static mesh and shooting a ballista at it and nothing happened. Did you do anything in particular to get it to work in Chivalry or am I just doing something wrong?