Mouse Dragging: Feature or Bug Abuse?

• This is my first post on these forums, I’ve been playing chivalry for a while and while the game as a whole is an enjoyable experience every once in a while you will encounter something that you just can’t stand in a game, and for me that is over the top mouse dragging. I’m not talking about what most of you might do, but when people have crazy sensitivity and do incredible turns and mouse drags.

I was dueling the other day in the official duel mode and each map one player would constantly dominate the scoreboard, going undefeated. I thought he might be pretty good, so when I got paired up with him I grimaced and thought I would never see someone do this again. He was mouse dragging like crazy, literally doing 360 degree turns and making his attacks unblockable until the last second. This guy was a pro.

Now, the occasional messer overhead mouse dragging can get annoying but this guy was over the top. I was just wondering what other people’s thoughts on this topic, is this an intended feature of the real-time physiscs or should there be a limit on the sensitivity of a player? I think the latter is a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

• Are you talking speeding up or slowing down mouse drags?

Both were intended. I believe the overheads were slowed down in Beta n.

I always applaud when someone slows down a drag because it is quite fair and while it catches you out - its only because one assumes a speed up.

360 fast mouse drag I always assume it is 3rd person to achieve it, or fucking high sensitivity (and I have mine set to 60).

There are compromises to the tactic. Like most things once you get used to that particular player you can combat it. In duels I find I adjust to a persons tactics in the first round. Better players still win - but usually because they have mastered being unpredictable.

So in general no its not a problem, though there may be specific weapons that are issues - in which case I don’t care and leave it to the balance council to determine specifics.

• Pretty sure it is a feature. I mean… “Real-time Strikes” is displayed on one of the tips for the loading screens.

Also, high sensitivity is irrelevant went talking about this, because turn speed is capped during it. They are also “reverse-accelerated”… so the faster you are moving your mouse, the slower the turn speed is.

• I don’t mean it like that, I mean when people use it way more than should be possible.

• Can you elaborate on this further?

I mean there is some pretty ridiculous drags like with the Bardiche and it would help to know what you went up against.

• “I don’t mean it like that, I mean when people use it way more than should be possible.”

But what is it you mean by that? I can technically use it on ALL of my attacks. So it’s not like Im using it more then should be possible.

What if we took out this feature? It would change the game since it is being balanced with these tactics in mind…and what if we make it easier for new players?

It will be like what happened in Smash Bros Melee Vs Brawl. They took out the glitch L Canceling…which allowed for advanced super awesome gameplay…and added random slipping…easier for noobs shitty for the competitive player.

Master the game in all of its mechanics and as it changes…it will be rewarding…trust me.

• Mouse dragging is perfectly acceptable.

To a point.

I’ve seen people do look down up overheads. And people just move their mouse around like crazy. That’s exploiting the game.

• @Korgawrath:

It will be like what happened in Smash Bros Melee Vs Brawl. They took out the glitch L Canceling…which allowed for advanced super awesome gameplay…and added random slipping…easier for noobs shitty for the competitive player.

That wasn’t even the major issue. Slipping was a huge hit, yes.

The major issue in Brawl was the lack of hitstun, no comboes could ever be made. They also wiped out the edge-guarding game completely and made it mindless to get back to the edge at all.

Then there was also Metaknight…

Definitely don’t want this game turning into that.

• With the Messer horizontal for example you have enough drag control to go beyond slowing down swings…
    You have enough drag control to go beyond bringing swings to a complete halt hovering in midair…
    You have enough drag control to, at will, suddenly send the swing travelling backwards back along the direction the swing was coming from.

If anyone wants to argue that drag control in its current iteration is not over the top with slow-release weapons then that’s fine with me; their mental health problems are a private matter and none of my concern.

• Are you talking speeding up or slowing down mouse drags?

Both were intended.

I know speeding up was intended (however, not to such extent as it’s currently being used), but I didn’t hear about being able to slow down as intented feature. I suspect the latter to be more the outcome of how mechanic is working overall - to speed up weapon you have to move it in certain direction and if you purposefully swing the other direction to “slow the attack” then you simply use it in a way that wasn’t forseen.

To answer the OP’s question I’ll say this: some people consider it feature, some consider it exploit and some are in-between and would like to see it tweaked. The developers themselves has officially stated that dragging will be tweaked. They won’t remove it, but they are going to fix the level of it.

Mouse dragging is perfectly acceptable. To a point. I’ve seen people do look down up overheads. And people just move their mouse around like crazy. That’s exploiting the game.

I agree.

• It would be ok if used just a little bit, but it’s too much abused…

Yesterday I fought a guy (Beta duel), who was slowing down nearly ALL of his swings, to an extent, where it was impossible to read his attacks anymore: If you tried to block in the last moment, he accelerated in a way, that it was impossible to block it, since the little “windup” of the parry was too long, even if perfectly timed.

TBS seriously has to work on acceleration/decceleration :/

• Jesus christ the threads these days.
    Are we really this low now?

• mouse drag is nice but needs nerf! I find decelerated pretty retarded and glitchy…while accelerated are quite annoying when it comes to instant overhead with weapons like bardiche!

• @Dibbz:

you have enough drag control to go beyond slowing down swings…
    You have enough drag control to go beyond bringing swings to a complete halt hovering in midair…
    You have enough drag control to, at will, suddenly send the swing travelling backwards back along the direction the swing was coming from.

We need to fix this at the very least.

On the slowest weapons mouse dragging defies the laws of physics to a pretty ridiculous degree, even for a video game.

I like mouse dragging as a technique for finesse control of your swings, but it becomes stupid after a point.

• I drag the hell out of the Messer when I’m fighting high level players, but it’s not like it isn’t counter-able, I think most players just aren’t used to slowed swing combat.

There is an extent where it is ridiculous, like Dibbz said, if I wanted I can make my Messer hover and/or return backwards a little bit.

This doesn’t achieve a hit on the opponent though, it only succeeds in putting them off. If the opponent is good enough, he’ll attack through my drag and flinch me.

When players try to drag against me, I generally may get hit once, otherwise I can read it pretty easily and use more aggression to flinch them. It’s a very risky but rewarding tactic if done right.

Good footwork can also get you out of a pickle against dragging.

• Indeed.

Dragging isn’t uncounterable or gamebreaking, just a bit over the top.

I’d like dragging to remain as a possibility for overcoming a parry, and executing dragging properly with good timing, control and judgement requires no small amount of skill against experienced players…
    It’s just the potential for dragging is a bit too high for the longer-release weapons as it is currently, especially when it comes to maintaining immersion and realistic expectation of possible combat actions (I hope everyone can understand what I mean by that. Please forgive the poorly worded description, I’m extremely tired; stayed up far too much studying for exams)

• @NoVaLombardia:

Also, high sensitivity is irrelevant went talking about this, because turn speed is capped during it.

unfortunately there’s a bug with speed cap where it doesn’t work all the time, I’ve had many more swings in live lately that just go berzerk with accel speed and i’m all over the place for certain swings… i somehow usually manage to get out of it.

i think dragging kinda sucks in beta, the release time being so short allows you to drag, but the hit doesn’t actually always connect after the drag. You have to actually perfectly drag your strikes now if you use this tactic. More skill involved but… less drag fun

Better players will know when drags are coming and just hit you while you’re delaying your strikes, probably my favorite thing to do to punish super draggers, and i admit i’m not against dragging ;)

• Dragging good mechanic.

• @bada:

Jesus christ the threads these days.
    Are we really this low now?

January 2013: Feints are super OP abused mechanics you should drag instead!

June 2013: Drags are super OP abused mechanics you should just fracking uninstall instead!

Seriously you damn parasites aren’t even offering solutions anymore. #Nerfcity #Fuckcompetitive

• Beats, how does one become so handsome?