How do I stop being terrible

• I have put 26 hours in to this game but I just can’t seem to get it, I can’t fight anyone at all unless they are completely new to the game and just sit with their guard open.

And the main problem is I can’t fight anyone because of their swinging speed, mine seems to be so damn slow for any weapon/class and everyone elses hits just miliseconds before mine, if I am MAA with a broad sword against a Maul knight than MAYBE I can win even if he is experienced, but I have lost that kind of fight before.

Another smaller problem is my stamina management, I have seen knights go on rampages and win 1v4’s with huge weapons like the twin headed axe and maul, and they seemed to never run out of stamina, yet if I use something like MAA and no shield I will be completely drained in around 4-5 swings, maybe more with a dagger.

I thought I would just tough it out but sitting on the objective with a shield or sitting at base with an archer is getting painfully boring :(

• @Ziliphade:

I have put 26 hours in to this game but I just can’t seem to get it

Its not a 26 hour game.

Its a 260 hour game minimum.

I am not a “gamer” like the top players but after 700 hours I finally can hold my own.

A lot is becoming accustomed to weapon length - yours and theirs - along with the footwork, knowing when your weapon will hit given your movement velocity and theirs. Not to mention 2-handed combo speed etc.

• @gregcau:

@Ziliphade:

I have put 26 hours in to this game but I just can’t seem to get it

Its not a 26 hour game.

Its a 260 hour game minimum.

I am not a “gamer” like the top players but after 700 hours I finally can hold my own.

A lot is becoming accustomed to weapon length - yours and theirs - along with the footwork, knowing when your weapon will hit given your movement velocity and theirs. Not to mention 2-handed combo speed etc.

Would you say that in a 1 on 1 with two equally skilled and experienced players beating a fast guy with a slow weapon is completely impossible? Because I imagine if the other can cut you a hundred times before your slow ass hammer even gets halfway over your head then that guy is gonna win every time.

• There is a tactic/tutorial section of the forum.

This dude named ‘HEXEN’ has a bunch of tutorial videos for specific weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1CyH_AnMM

You need to invest more time. As greg says, its gonna be about 300 hours with one class/weapon before you’re very good with it.

Your ability to work with a team/behave optimally in group situations will keep increasing for longer than that.

• @JCash:

You need to invest more time. As greg says, its gonna be about 300 hours with one class/weapon before you’re very good with it.

Is it weird I missed you?

• @gregcau:

@JCash:

Is it weird I missed you?

Is it weird that he isn’t trolling this thread yet?

• 260 hour minimum? Damn, I’m still learning for at least 80 more hours of play then. :P

Does patching reset those hours? :?

• Chivalry is a lot like a real-life martial arts. Reflexes, problem-solving skills, coordination, situational awareness, knowledge of your opponent, and above all focus is what I believe takes a player to that next level.

But also just like martial arts, everyone has to start with the basics. To start with, I would practice a few specific “moves” or skills at time. For instance:

Skill 1: Get your opponent to miss a swing, and immediately attack him while he is recovering. This will teach you the timing, range, and speed necessary to punish an opponent when he is at his weakest.

Skill 2: Sprinting attacks. All of your forward-moving attacks should be executed at a sprint to increase their effective range. Walking attacks are one of the most common mistakes new players tend to make.

Other skills:
    Using all 4 swing types, feinting, retreating when at a disadvantage, shield block with accuracy, parry with accuracy, combo attacks, changing targets rapidly, limiting team damage, avoiding arrows, and so on.

Additionally, finding a practice partner to spar with in private servers is a great way to learn cooperatively. Just make sure that your partner is better than you. Joining a clan is a good way to do this.

• Practice

• @Daiyuki:

Practice

@FrostFire626:

Chivalry is a lot like a real-life martial arts. Reflexes, problem-solving skills, coordination, situational awareness, knowledge of your opponent, and above all focus is what I believe takes a player to that next level.

But also just like martial arts, everyone has to start with the basics. To start with, I would practice a few specific “moves” or skills at time. For instance:

Skill 1: Get your opponent to miss a swing, and immediately attack him while he is recovering. This will teach you the timing, range, and speed necessary to punish an opponent when he is at his weakest.

Skill 2: Sprinting attacks. All of your forward-moving attacks should be executed at a sprint to increase their effective range. Walking attacks are one of the most common mistakes new players tend to make.

Other skills:
    Using all 4 swing types, feinting, retreating when at a disadvantage, shield block with accuracy, parry with accuracy, combo attacks, changing targets rapidly, limiting team damage, avoiding arrows, and so on.

Additionally, finding a practice partner to spar with in private servers is a great way to learn cooperatively. Just make sure that your partner is better than you. Joining a clan is a good way to do this.

• Make sure to increase your base skills, mainly reaction time in a game like this.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/j … green.html

Don’t bother playing until you can at least get an average of .2

• Those knights on rampages are always hitting their targets. You don’t lose any stamina as long as you hit someone.

• @JCash:

There is a tactic/tutorial section of the forum.

This dude named ‘HEXEN’ has a bunch of tutorial videos for specific weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1CyH_AnMM

Your ability to work with a team/behave optimally in group situations will keep increasing for longer than that.

Thank you! A lot of things he says seem like they should have been obvious now that I watched some of his stuff lol.

• Welp, even after watching Hexens stuff everyone just seems to swing waaay fuckin faster, back to archer -_-

• @Ziliphade:

Welp, even after watching Hexens stuff everyone just seems to swing waaay fuckin faster, back to archer -_-

speedhacking is /very/ common.

• It took me about 100 hours of play before I was fairly confident I could parry about 75% of the attacks. :D

Give yourself some more time. Don’t be afraid to die (and die again).

• Also you learn the most from duelling better players.

Everything is so random in big battles so its hard to start learning (but good for fun ;) ), in duels you realize much better what mistakes you made.

• @Ziliphade:

Welp, even after watching Hexens stuff everyone just seems to swing waaay fuckin faster, back to archer -_-

You’re likely not seeing people’s windups very well, since most weapon swings start behind you. Stabs are obviously front-facing but a little more misleading in their timings, so there is also that.

You can only interrupt an attack when someone is in windup, if you are using a Broadsword you have 0.4-0.45 seconds of windup on your attacks, so even facing a Zweihander (quite a slow weapon), if you start your attack just 0.15-0.2 seconds AFTER your opponent, you’re going to hit trade, any later than that and you will have your own attack interrupted. Your timing is simply off, it’s not them attacking faster than you.

@JCash:

Shut up.

• @Daiyuki:

@JCash:

Shut up.

Don’t like me blowing the whistle on your little conspiracy?

I’ll stop when the hackers stop.

• @JCash:

Don’t like me blowing the whistle on your little conspiracy?

I’ll stop when the hackers stop.

You were doing so well earlier on