Dodge

• Change the dodging system, MAA should have no stamina cost for dodge, archers should have light sprint cost, vanguards medium and knights heavy stamina drain. Also, two handers definitely need buffing, or one handers should be nerfed.

• I actually don’t believe maa should have no stamina for dodge, it should cost some conciderable amount of stamina in order to avoid spamming it, and it should also have a 1/1.5 second cooldown between dodges.

I kinda agree with sprinting costing stamina but in some maps it takes some sprinting to reach the point of battle so it would be annoying to have to look at your stamina before even getting in battle thats why it doesnt consume any I guess.

And, last but not least, either speed up the two handers or slow down the one handers. The problem lies in speed I guess.

• I would like to add that I wish you were able to keybind doge, like clicking alt will dodge you into the direction you wish to dodge. Having to double tap a WASD key is just clunky.

(I’m pretty sure there isn’t a keybind to dodge, someone please tell me there is)

• I’m really really not understanding why people want to speed up big weapons, or slow down small weapons, it’s just not clicking… I get killed by big weapons alot more in big battles, and small weapons in duels… That’s how it SHOULD be, if you get attacked and he gets in close range you switch to your sodding secondary, like what do you guys think it’s there for, to make you look cool with an extra sword… You use your large weapon for crowd control, and to keep enemies at a distance, then when they close in, SWITCH to your smaller weapon… Sheesh…

• What makes you think big weapons are only for crowd control?

If you take out your secondary weapon each time you duel someone then just remove the primary weapon whatsoever…

To properly balance a weapon it must be balanced for 1v1 situations, and then it will be balanced for crowd situations automatically.

• @dauncosony:

I would like to add that I wish you were able to keybind doge, like clicking alt will dodge you into the direction you wish to dodge. Having to double tap a WASD key is just clunky.

(I’m pretty sure there isn’t a keybind to dodge, someone please tell me there is)

This has been requested a lot and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be added, along with being able to bind things like feint and zoom to the same key as block (since you don’t use block while attacking anyway).

As for no stamina cost to dodge… I disagree. Stamina costs are very low as it is. I also don’t think sprinting should cost stamina outside of combat because it just needlessly slows the game down, but some kind of in-combat stamina cost for sprint would be good.

I also think backup weapons are supposed to be exactly that - backups. I agree with Slash that the game should be balanced around duels while keeping clashes in mind. Things need to be adjusted to make that possible, though, it isn’t just about speeding up heavy weapons or slowing down light ones - again, stamina should come into play here. If a twohander and a onehander are trading parries back and forth, the twohander should eventually win - it’s up to the onehander to be aggressive and get in there and land some hits instead of playing defensively and just waiting to parry. That would allow the twohanders to maintain strong team presence but also get the leg-up they need in a duel. Men-at-Arms having a more useful dodge function with the new dodge hotkey + possibility of diagonal dodges will also bolster their ability to deal damage in team battles while dodging around.

• @-Slash-:

To properly balance a weapon it must be balanced for 1v1 situations, and then it will be balanced for crowd situations automatically.

And where is the logic behind that thought? Absolutely no. A dagger is not going to be as well suited for crowd situations than it is for duels, not in any scenario that I’d know off. Vice versa with the huge double axe. Every weapon has it’s pros and cons and just like some weapons are good for duels, some aren’t. Deal with it.

Do not take this as a personal insult but after reading a lot of your posts on various threads I’m beginning to question your vision of what this game should be (or any game similar to this one). Right now I feel that the best game for you would be one that would only have heavy armoured knights with hyperfast running speed, swinging OP fast and deadly 2h weapons. :|

I’ve also noticed that the pro-knights / pro-heavy unit guys are the most vocal on the forums in regards to complaining about other classes and demanding them to be nerfed and at the same time asking 2h speed increase and other things which would make Knights/Vanguards even better. Pretty much demanding that their class should be above others in every possible way and not feeling any remorse of an unbalanced game and classes. K/VG are already dominating the servers in the scoreboard by far, especially in a large scale battles. 5vs5 matches are a lot better balanced in some aspects.

• Ya don’t be angry it’s ok. pat pat

• I mostly play Man-at-Arms, sadnhappy, and Slash doesn’t have a beta key as far as I’m aware, so your theory that people who believe twohanders are too weak only play heavy classes is somewhat flawed ;)

• No I’m secretly playing a knight with a maul, but I dont know it.

I want this game to be omg pwnzors pew pew maul pew pew, he’s so right man.

• @SlyGoat:

I mostly play Man-at-Arms, sadnhappy, and Slash doesn’t have a beta key as far as I’m aware, so your theory that people who believe twohanders are too weak only play heavy classes is somewhat flawed ;)

SlyGoat I very much like your comments on any thread no matter the subject as they’re well thought out and correct :D FYI I play all the classes, perhaps a slight lean on MaA and Archer class but I don’t shy away from being a VG or K. And I wasn’t saying that they aren’t playing other classes, I should have phrased it as ‘they favour the heavy classes’.

If the comment regarding Slash not having a beta key is true, then what on earth is he commenting on all of these gameplay threads for? I’m shocked. That someone who hasn’t actually played the game is so vocal about it and bases his opinions on some gameplay footage of the game being played, even though he himself has not touched it for a minute. :?

• I’m not vocal, I’m just typing my opnions.

And if you actually read my posts as you said in your last post, you would have known that at my first posts I always started them with the disclaimer of “I haven’t played the game yet but I am basing my opinions on footage and what I heard here and there so if I’m incorrect don’t judge me”, but yea, you have done a great research around my personality it seems, you know more stuff than I know of me.

• Okay, I don’t think this conversation needs to continue. Let’s get back to the topic at hand or just have a moment of silence for the untimely passing of civility.

• @sadnhappy:

I’ve also noticed that the pro-knights / pro-heavy unit guys are the most vocal on the forums in regards to complaining about other classes and demanding them to be nerfed and at the same time asking 2h speed increase and other things which would make Knights/Vanguards even better. Pretty much demanding that their class should be above others in every possible way and not feeling any remorse of an unbalanced game and classes.

That comment would already be quite irritating if it would be correct (since it’s not actually an argument but rather a cheap attempt to discredit the people you disagree with), but it isn’t. Many of the people complaining about one handed weapons being too powerful compared to two handed weapons mainly play MaA, myself included. The reason I think MaA is too strong atm is because I’m so ridiculously much more succesful with it than with any other class. I wouldn’t think a class or weapon is OP if I myself can’t use it to greater succes than the alternatives. Of course, the people who get consistently beaten by good players with onehanders but can’t use them themselves will inevitably support any suggestion to weaken the class they lose against or strengthen their own, but their presence doesn’t somehow make my points less valid.

And I, too, prefer to have the game balanced around duels. It’s a small step from balancing a game where all individuals are equal to a game where no class is useless or overpowered in a team game. It’s a much bigger step to balance a game’s dueling when that game was designed mostly for team play balance. But in the end it’s just personal preference, really.

• Yea, thats why you focus on duels, to create balance between two individual people, no matter who they are.

And if you create balance between two people you then create balance between more people.
    I also don’t see why the double axe can’t be used for duels to be honest.
    Anyway, If I would play the game, I’d most probably dedicate myself to a lighter class, as I did in age of chivalry.

This might sound a bit surprising but I have thought about what the first layout will be when I get in game, and it will be the javelineer, then I’ll jump to MaA layouts.

• Yeah I kind of just think the damage boost given to MAA weapons isn’t the right way to make them viable.

I still have an inkling to keep pushing for clearing out knight and vg secondary weapons and leave the MAA with is own unique ones, like all the other classes get. It also makes the balancing act easier as 1h would be used in the context of MAA only and you don’t have to worry about another class suddenly being able to be more effective with the 1h.

I know it seems like removing a lot of choice, but there are still 9 weapons that all play a bit different for the knight and VG to play with.

quick edit Balance for duels I think is important. You make that one individual case interesting, and it’s a good start, it means the game in its minimum context has enough interesting options to still be fun and reasonably balanced. Then moving into team play it balances out well because in teamplay you often don’t really need mechanics. There are 5 vs 1 where you get mauled, back stabs, getting shot by catapults or ranged fire, etc etc. A multitude of things that take good teamplay to manage, but don’t require any mechanics to support, these things sort of happen on their own with people involved.

So take good duel mechanics that don’t wreck standard team mechanics (that come for free) and you have a good game.

• I agree wholeheartedly that VG and Knight shouldn’t get MaA primaries and I know that opinion isn’t extremely rare from talking to people ingame and over Steam.

• I only bought the game this morning and have clocked a few hours, but I did play the mod. And to me it seems like the ‘unbalance’ of 1 handed weapons is not their damage or attack speed, it is infact their range.

Back in the mod 2 handers did feel stronger but I dont think they are in a bad place right now my issue is that in the mods version of 1 hand weapons really required you to get your ‘screen’ if you like right into your opponents face. From playing around with the MAA weapons ingame it feels like they may have about 30-50% more relative range this makes them very effective in cqb (as they should be) it does however also mean they they can be a little too easy to use than the mod versions.

• I don’t agree with this, if you end up buffing the 2 handers even more the game will become less fun. Now, what I DO think is some of the one handers need to be nerfed, but only 2 needed it but they already nerfed the hatchet so that is fixed…

Next is the hammer, and btw I use it alot so I am not saying this out of spite, but balance… I Smash the competition, I am usually on top of the scoreboard running around with my hammer which is effective against all classes, and only switching to my broadsword when i encounter an archer…

But the 2 handers are already getting the kills, I’m just not seeing why they need to be better than they already are, most of the time I am seeing the big weapons running up and sweeping away my teamates, then I come to the forums and I see " Please buff 2 handers, they are 2 slow " and I am like, are they thinking of that one man at arms that ran them over, and they where like omfg how did that little sword guy beat me… It was with pure skill, not because his weapon was op. Granted the maces may need a small nerf to because for some reason face hugging with maces is extremely effective.

• In a crowd, burst damage rules. It is easy to surprise people and come up behind them, then unload a ton of damage, and be off again. So in that sense, 2h’s do very well and that is why you see generally high scores. You will see though that typically 1h users are the ones high up with good k:d ratios. The 1h allows sudden in your face burst damage at a much faster rate than many 2h can dish it out, so in a way they were more powerful than 2h weapons in most every sense.

Will be interesting after this patch to see how they work out now.